Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this isn't appropriate to discuss but is there any real possibility of Essendon swapping with us with their pick 22 for our later picks? The possibility of picking up a George or Hotton type would be huge.

I have a gut feeling Essendon are taking Phillipou so I think we should take Cam Mackenzie

I don't really want us to take Humphrey or Tsatas tbh
Yep my gut says Mackenzie too, however Tsatas will be bloody hard to pass over. Pity we could't snag pick 7 and taken them both 😑

Having said that any combo of Mackenzie, Phillipou or Tsatas would've been glorious.

Players can improve their kicking in an afl environment but it’s not at all certain. JOM/Tom were poor kicks and had both spent a decade in afl environment and both diligent etc.

There is obviously some art in picking which guys can improve. There’s also the component of decision making which can be just as important.

Tsatas averages 30 plus in nab league and is explosive and can win clearances. Don't think we would over complicate it if he was available

I assumed he was going to be unavailable to us so didn't bother looking at much of him.

I just watched his "highlights" in the VM vs VC game.

I hope to God Essendon take him because if you thought Humphrey was a terrible kick this guy isn't far off that.

For a predominantly outside player his kicking is deplorable.

I would be shocked and disappointed if we passed on Tsatas. I just cannot see it happening, a player with that much athleticism and upside who has an insane track record as a ball-winner and attacker out of the centre square. For a player who starts outside the contest, his stoppage work and clearance numbers are insane. He has clean hands in the guts, has the composure in traffic to pick out good options, and has the speed to work his way to multiple contests. If we plan on going run-and-gun under Sam, ET is the perfect player to break open the game and take it on. He's got great hands overhead, he's a great kick in space, and has shown the ability to hit up targets long. The issues with his disposal come when at top speed or under pressure, he usually tries to take difficult kicks and it can sometimes not come off perfectly. I'd rather a player with his skill taking risky kicks than a safe chip-around mid like Danny Howe who isn't biting off the tough ones. He isn't as good at it as Ward or Sicily, but he brings a lot of attack that our midfield desperately needs. Just look at his numbers, go watch a full game of tape, he impacts the game so much across the ground and generates so many scores off his own boot. Yes he isn't a perfect kick, he needs to work back on defence and build a bit of muscle, but his offensive skills are not something we can pass up. We need elite talent with upside, not more bread-and-butter safe picks. I still don't think he gets to us, North or Essendon will pick him up. If he does slide based on Essendon's preference for more defensive mids, we will land ourselves a steal and a centrepiece of our midfield for the next decade.

I also think Humphrey's kicking woes are overblown (except his goal kicking, which needs a very good look at) and a lot of you are going to be unjustly outraged if we pick him up. Bear is a massively talented and smart kid, these guys aren't professional athletes yet and a lot of the country boys aren't in big private school programs or can afford private kicking coaches. I still really like Mackenzie, but the vibe being built up here looks ready to burst if we call out the "wrong" name. Trust the team, trust the process, and f*ck Essendon.

Proceeds to show a tape with 80% contested possessions.

I swear half of you hear Davo say one thing and latch onto it like gospel. Watch a whole game of footy and see how a player has an impact across the whole day. Tstats's kicking isn't perfect, but look where he's getting the footy. Hands to it first in a centre bounce, moving it forward into his forward 50. Watch his game against Oakleigh, steamrolled a team full of superstar midfielders, shot it into his forward line 13 times, and won them the game. I have a ton of respect for Davo as a draft scout and analyzer of talent, but I have my own opinion on players. When I look at Tsatas, I see a player that gets his hands to the footy first at stoppages, takes contact, and moves the footy forward, either by hand or slamming it on his boot. The prospect with the highest offensive upside of any midfielder in this draft, with a proven track record of winning possessions and getting it into his forward line. If others see something else, more power to them. Just form your own opinion off more than 5 minutes of tape from one game of footy.

Wasn’t there chatter not that long ago that the reason we were looking at trading up to pick 2 was to try and get one of Sheezel, Tsatas or Wardlaw?

As our team saw them as clearly a level above the rest. Getting one of them at pick 6 is like receiving an early Xmas pressie.

I swear half of you hear Davo say one thing and latch onto it like gospel. Watch a whole game of footy and see how a player has an impact across the whole day. Tstats's kicking isn't perfect, but look where he's getting the footy. Hands to it first in a centre bounce, moving it forward into his forward 50. Watch his game against Oakleigh, steamrolled a team full of superstar midfielders, shot it into his forward line 13 times, and won them the game. I have a ton of respect for Davo as a draft scout and analyzer of talent, but I have my own opinion on players. When I look at Tsatas, I see a player that gets his hands to the footy first at stoppages, takes contact, and moves the footy forward, either by hand or slamming it on his boot. The prospect with the highest offensive upside of any midfielder in this draft, with a proven track record of winning possessions and getting it into his forward line. If others see something else, more power to them. Just form your own opinion off more than 5 minutes of tape from one game of footy.

I will go and watch some more vision of him as my opinion was purely based on the vision of the VM vs VC game.

You would have a way better grasp on these prospects than me so appreciate your input.

I assumed he was going to be unavailable to us so didn't bother looking at much of him.

I hope to God Essendon take him because if you thought Humphrey was a terrible kick this guy isn't far off that.

I saw some poor decision making in those clips that led to poor kicks. I don't see a massive technical flaw in his kicking though. I don't think he will be an elite kicking talent like Sheezel but he should be serviceable enough for his role. Essendon would be mad not to take him tbh

I saw some poor decision making in those clips that led to poor kicks. I don't see a massive technical flaw in his kicking though. I don't think he will be an elite kicking talent like Sheezel but he should be serviceable enough for his role. Essendon would be mad not to take him tbh
I can see Essendon not taking him purely because he is more of the same in Merret, Sheil, and Parish. That being said, they should really take him over the others on offer unless they really like Humphrey/Ginbey/Mackenzie.

ET has a problem where he runs through a lot of traffic and takes contact while kicking. It causes him to rush a little bit, but again it's the difference between someone like Scrimshaw, who is a top-tier kick but doesn't get much of his footy in contests on the run, and someone like Josh Kelly, who gets a ton of it in contests and isn't strongly built but still wills it forward. Taking contact while disposing of the footy is something that becomes easier as you grow, bulk up, and get used to taking contact but is always going to knock a player's disposal efficiency. This is the cost of taking the game on though, you'd rather a player move it forward and try and hit up a target than hang back and let the opposition get ahead of them to try and dink it around the corner.

Shocking take. You blatantly ignored that he hit far more targets than he missed. Absolute no brainer to select him if he's available at our first pick. Is capable of playing inside and outside which this video highlights. Also keep in mind this is one game in isolation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking was absolutely terrible that day. He wracked up the touches and was the leading possession getter, but didn't do anything with them. However it was only one game.

So Alwyn Davey Jr. still hasn't nominated Essendon as a father-son, and it sounds like there's a slim but present chance he ends up going to the open draft. If he does end up in the open AND the Bombers pass on him at 22 for some reason, It would be a much greater fist-pump moment if we picked him up. I'm not sure why he hasn't nominated, unless Essendon have said they can't see him making the team or have him lower on their draft board than he's likely to go. Very raw but talented product, if he gets his stamina base up he could become a deadly weapon as a half-forward. I'm not sure many teams have put the work into him, but it would be a great get at our 2nd pick.

Obligatory vision from AFL's youtube page.

Shocking take. You blatantly ignored that he hit far more targets than he missed. Absolute no brainer to select him if he's available at our first pick. Is capable of playing inside and outside which this video highlights. Also keep in mind this is one game in isolation.

Did you watch that championship game highlights video?

Long kick deep into the F50, resulting in a great specky from a forward.

Handball over the shoulder directly to an opponent.

Dangerous overhit kick inboard, easily defended by an opponent.

Overhit kick up the line to the wing, lucky defensive free given against an opponent.

Rushed kick up to the wing from the other flank, landing in front of his team mate. But easily excused given the pressure he was under.

Direct turnover when kicking from the HBF to the HFF. Had time and space and kicked it nowhere near his teammate, it was completely to the advantage of the opposition.

Nice kick into the F50, placing it for Sheezel who had 5m on his opponent.

F50 entry kick from the flank whilst on the run with a few metres in his opponent, the kick was overhit, allowing Sheezel's opponent to mark it.

15m sideways kick.

Another 15m sideways kick to a man free in the middle. Kick seemed lazy as it forced his team mate to have to go backwards, instead of placing it into the space in front of him - as there was heaps. The team mates could have been off and running, but instead he was easily closed down due to the poor kick.

Centre clearanc kick whilst on the run to the HFF, not a bad kick, but it had a bit of airtime.

Backwards 15m kick.

Now that's not including about five rushed kicks whilst being tackled or under pressure (half of which resulted in turnovers) or little hand-off handballs.

That's fairly hypercritical. But nothing from that game screamed elite top 3 talent IMO.

Again it was only one game, but my main observation based on this game is that his kicks result in the ball having too much airtime. He gets a bit under them

So Alwyn Davey Jr. still hasn't nominated Essendon as a father-son, and it sounds like there's a slim but present chance he ends up going to the open draft. If he does end up in the open AND the Bombers pass on him at 22 for some reason, It would be a much greater fist-pump moment if we picked him up. I'm not sure why he hasn't nominated, unless Essendon have said they can't see him making the team or have him lower on their draft board than he's likely to go. Very raw but talented product, if he gets his stamina base up he could become a deadly weapon as a half-forward. I'm not sure many teams have put the work into him, but it would be a great get at our 2nd pick.

Could be some classic Dodo shenanigans with wanting to keep their draft pick or working out the best trade for pick 22? I suppose it may be buying him more time?

I agree, but I don't think he'll make it to our second, as there is talk he'd be a late 1st rounder. GWS would be insane not to take as they have 3 picks and lost Hill

Agree. I've been big on Tsatas all year (even when a lower pick was looking likely). I don't understand why he's dropping down the pecking order post-season. I will be thrilled if he slides to us, but still can't see it.

I agree, but I don't think he'll make it to our second, as there is talk he'd be a late 1st rounder. GWS would be insane not to take as they have 3 picks and lost Hill
The only downside for GWS is the risk he picks up and heads back to the Bombers in two years time. I don't think the interstate clubs will touch him, even if he isn't a father/son nomination in the end he still has strong ties to the club.

What’s your concern with Tsatsas?
He projects more as an outside player and we need ball winners, also over the years he seems to get a lot of poss and provides run but can waste a lot of poss too, I just think there's better at our pick, but saying that I won't be upset if we get him.

Pros - he wins a tonne of ball, provides great run
Cons - disposal could be better, decision making could be better, tested poorly after foot injury, in his interview struggled to keep focus which might be why his disposal is a mixed bag?

Rumours are he might slide a little on draft night? Very good prospect though, so I'm torn.

Last edited:
He projects more as an outside player and we need ball winners, also over the years he seems to get a lot of poss and provides run but can waste a lot of poss too, I just think there's better at our pick, but saying that I won't be upset if we get him.

Pros - he wins a tonne of ball, provides great run
Cons - disposal could be better, decision making could be better, tested poorly after foot injury, in his interview struggled to keep focus which might be why his disposal is a mixed bag?

Rumours are he might slide a little on draft night? Very good prospect though, so I'm torn.
Appreciate the response 👍

Tsatas at AFL level could be a Josh Kelly or a Jared polec! One of these concern me.

Tsatas averages 30 plus in nab league and is explosive and can win clearances. Don't think we would over complicate it if he was available
Just one of the few clips I've posted on the North board

Same clip, different angles

Could be some classic Dodo shenanigans with wanting to keep their draft pick or working out the best trade for pick 22? I suppose it may be buying him more time?
The shenanigans start depending on where the bid comes. I'm praying it's before 22 and we can stitch him on a deal. Then take Munkara in the late 30s.

He's had this coming for years from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back