Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal was on Hawks Insiders tonight, wouldn’t give much away on how our first pick might go, but did say that we are one club that really spends a lot of time getting to know the players even this close to the draft and that we have continued to meet players this week and interview to make sure that we’re certain of our first pick.

Also said we’d most likely get Vickery after pick 40, that Bennetts and Lawrence are likely to get to us as rookies and that he is expecting us to take 5 in the draft.

I agree with you there, I would prefer if we pick someone that is either a classy elite kick, or has explosive traits, etc.

My other issue with Clark is that he is smaller than all of the other options too, but all of his strengths lean towards a contested game.

Though maybe Mitchell believes we already have those good ball users that have class in - Moore, Day, Ward and MacDonald. So maybe he sees Clark as the right option to help build the base/grunt side of the midfield with Newcombe, Stephens, Worpel and Finn.
Yeah i am definitely not anti Clark at all, i like him. I still hope Tsatas will be available but i am still not sure i believe it. If not i would be happy with either Clark or Phillipou. Any of those 3 and i'll walk away happy

I'm all for it if he desperately wants to get to us, don't get me wrong. I've just seen so many times now people convince themselves that a player is eventually 'coming home' and it just never materialises (Whitfield is a prime example - it's starting up with Ginnivan now too). I'd suggest that the percentage of high calibre players who don't get drafted to the team they support who then demand trades back there would be in the 90% range though.
10% is pretty high tbh

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

10% is pretty high tbh

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I more meant like in the 90% and above territory. I was allowing for the go home factor with Geelong, WA and SA based clubs who do seem to have more players come home than the suburban Melbourne clubs do.

You really are a clown.
Yea Na. Happy to bookmark the post for future reference. He won’t get a look in with any midfield next year at the top level and has enormous gaps in his game - like most in this years draft - but hey people are entitled to think he’s the next Joel Selwood - I think he’s the next Nick Reis and won’t be at Hawthorn next year.

We’ll revisit in a few years.

Couple of questions regarding Jhye Clark:

How is he different from Worpel?

Can he rotate through the forward line and offer something when rested inside 50?
One is a proven midfielder at the top level and bnf winner of an AFL side - the other struggled to match it with his peers at junior level, is only 18 and has his work cut out to match it in the midfield at AFL level. He himself would probably admit he has his work cut out and has a lot of development ahead of him to make it as a midfielder at the top level.

Clark is not a noted goal kicker, unlike The Poo who slammed home 25 goals this year from limited games, most from about 1,726 meters out from goal and from all angles, Clark barely troubled the goal scorers or point scorers - but hey he could miraculously develop into a Joel Selwood / Buckley/ Danger / Fyfe type over summer, gain 20 meters in penetration in his kicks and get 5 yards quicker. Heck he could even grow 20 cms put on 30kgs and play Ruck. He could also change his name to Sheezel.

Some posters have even suggested that he has these miraculous “winning ways” - that’s a whole new category of assessment right there.

Next he’ll have super sensory flex capacitor type time travelling skills that can teleport him into another dimension freeze time and win games of footy for us all before a ball is bounced.

I mean why we haven’t traded away all our picks this year and next year plus a half a dozen players and the Kennedy statue at Waverley to secure him is baffling and bordering negligent.

He could even run for President and build the new training stadiums at Dingley over a weekend using a butter knife, a pair of nose hair clippers and a second hand magic bullet fruit juicer.

Sorry what was your question? 🤣

Last edited:
One is a proven midfielder at the top level and bnf winner of an AFL side - the other struggled to match it with his peers at junior level, is only 18 and has his work cut out to match it in the midfield at AFL level. He himself would probably admit he has his work cut out and has a lot of development ahead of him to make it as a midfielder at the top level.

Clark is not a noted goal kicker, unlike The Poo who slammed home 25 goals this year from limited games, most from about 1,726 meters out from goal and from all angles, Clark barely troubled the goal scorers or point scorers - but hey he could miraculously develop into a Joel Selwood / Buckley/ Danger / Fyfe type over summer, gain 20 meters in penetration in his kicks and get 5 yards quicker. Heck he could even grow 20 cms put on 30kgs and play Ruck. He could also change his name to Sheezel.

Some posters have even suggested that he has these miraculous “winning ways” - that’s a whole new category of assessment right there.

Next he’ll have super sensory flex capacitor type time travelling skills that can teleport him into another dimension freeze time and win games of footy for us all before a ball is bounced.

I mean why we haven’t traded away all our picks this year and next year plus a half a dozen players and the Kennedy statue at Waverley to secure him is baffling and bordering negligent.

He could even run for President and build the new training stadiums at Dingley over a weekend using a butter knife, a pair of nose hair clippers and a second hand magic bullet fruit juicer.

Surely Gold Coast take him and trade him to the cats in 2 years. I’m not as down on him as you but I’m also not close to the action I think we need a different type of player so hoping suns take him so we get who dons don’t take out of tsatas and Humphrey. Still like the pou but can’t see us taking him happy with any from those 3

Yea Na. Happy to bookmark the post for future reference. He won’t get a look in with any midfield next year at the top level and has enormous gaps in his game - like most in this years draft - but hey people are entitled to think he’s the next Joel Selwood - I think he’s the next Nick Reis and won’t be at Hawthorn next year.

We’ll revisit in a few years.

Out of curiosity, can you please (honestly) let us know your thoughts on previous players from drafts gone by?

I'm interested in seeing your success rate on predictions like these.

You're very strange and I'm certain you have watched no football after reading your posts. You even admitted to watching 1 game of George at school level and now he is the goat in your eyes. Clark has been rated top 6 all year by people that know alot more then you. Everyone has their favourites I get that but how can you say he has struggled all year , because you watched the country vs metro game like everyone else?.

You're very strange and I'm certain you have watched no football after reading your posts. You even admitted to watching 1 game of George at school level and now he is the goat in your eyes. Clark has been rated top 6 all year by people that know alot more then you. Everyone has their favourites I get that but how can you say he has struggled all year , because you watched the country vs metro game like everyone else?.

He constantly speaks out of his arse and does so with the worst kind of conceited bluster with just no validity behind it. His utter tripe ranted about Clark flies in the face of what multiple people who watch these kids for a living think about him. The reigning premiers have deliberately retained this first rounder hoping to get him - but yeah, he must be as bad as this blowhard thinks he is.

Now, can you tell us, using the doll, where did Clark touch you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As usual I will back our recruiting team to pick best available player with our first pick and be a bit more “ flexible” with later ones to reflect need. Not having seen any of them play it would be foolish to assume I can outguess the experts.
However, if I had a wish I wouldn’t mind trying to get a pick in the teens and take a punt on George.

Geelong are snakes in the grass.
If they are telling everyone they want Clark than they surely have another target.
I am quite confident that our recruiters don't care about what Geelong want. They'll have a list and make decisions on that list.

Cal was on Hawks Insiders tonight, wouldn’t give much away on how our first pick might go, but did say that we are one club that really spends a lot of time getting to know the players even this close to the draft and that we have continued to meet players this week and interview to make sure that we’re certain of our first pick.

Also said we’d most likely get Vickery after pick 40, that Bennetts and Lawrence are likely to get to us as rookies and that he is expecting us to take 5 in the draft.
Where can I watch or listen to that I haven’t herd of it before

Seems like a few days ago Clark was at the bottom of most lists but now at the top for most. I do like Clark as a prospect but I can't see anything that would put him close to Humphrey, poo or tsatas.

A lot of the arguments seem to be that we should take him because he is a "better fit" because he is that contested ground ball getter. And yes I agree we are in need of a player like that but I also think we're in need of clearance gun or an elite outside midfielder. The fact is that our midfield is Terrible at the moment but has a lot of potential. We're too early in our rebuild to draft midfielders based on how we think they'll fit in a very young and unproven midfield. We need to prioritise best available and then fit around them later on. And I feel like all year everyone has been saying we must take best available regardless of fit which is why i find it strange that Clark is suddenly becoming number 1 preference.

If Tsatas falls to us there's no chance we don't take him. He is without a doubt a better prospect then Clark and still fills a void in our midfield. He's a far far superior athlete with game breaking speed, he has elite clearance ability and I think could become a very solid kick. The only thing Clark has on him is the contested game, which I think Tsatas will get better at once developed a bit more as he's shown he has a knack for finding the ball, and defence which is a weakness for tsatas but can be covered by our other mids.

The poo is right up there with Tsatas for me. Maybe even above him. The talent he has is insane and he could definitely be the best player in this draft class. The height, speed, strength, agility and leap all make him a scary athlete at afl level. Pair that with a genuinely strong and skilled marking ability and at the worst I think he can be a very dangerous medium forward. But it's his IQ and foot skills that make him such a scary midfield prospect. The sheer amount of outside 50 on the run goals he kicked this year was insane. You'd be lucky to see one or two of those from any other prospect. I also think he's a really good kick so having him be able to break free from the square and either hit a forward lace out or bomb a goal from 50 is gonna be a nightmare for opponents. Basically the only flaw I've found is his perceived cockiness which I think will be a massive strength for him. You can tell that his confidence is not in himself but rather in his work ethic. He said in an interview he thinks he's the best, but then said if he isn't he knows he'll work hard enough until he becomes the best. Something along those lines. To me that is clearly a player who expects the best from himself and knows he can be that. The only thing Clark has on him is again the contested ball winning. Mostly Everything else Poo is far better at and is still months younger.

Humphrey is the other one I think we'll take although I don't like him as much as the others. He's a great mark but I question how well it'll transition to the afl. I can easily see the poo becoming an elite medium forward but struggle to see it with Humphrey especially with his lack of goal kicking ability. We've seen the poo kick contested check sides while Humphrey struggles to kick set shots from in front. But if he does succeed as a forward and move into the midfield he could be a very scary player and become one of the most impactful in the league. The way he bounces in, out and around traffic blows me away and I think he could be one of those players who just can't be tackled. Him and duke would run a muck against opposing midfields.

All three of these players, and even Mackenzie who I also prefer over Clark, have shown clearly better abilities then Clark yet most people have him at 1. Is it because you just think we are going to take him, or because he's the best fit, or because you genuinely think he's best available? I'm curious because to me all these players offer so much more but that's just my opinion. It's frustrating but great to have such a debate about our pick between so many players.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back