List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if we have enough to trade. Can't trade this year's first because we are missing 2nd and 3rd? Round picks and I doubt a future 1st and a 3rd round pick this year would do it....need to get some picks in (via Lobb?).

I don't know if we have enough to trade. Can't trade this year's first because we are missing 2nd and 3rd? Round picks and I doubt a future 1st and a 3rd round pick this year would do it....need to get some picks in (via Lobb?).
That rule only applies for future picks, can trade our 1st this year once it gets to trade time

Think this lines up with what I thought. Players aren't auditioning for an SSP spot, but getting up to speed in case they need to be activated as a top up.

Think this lines up with what I thought. Players aren't auditioning for an SSP spot, but getting up to speed in case they need to be activated as a top up.

That makes sense to me.. probably the reason we rolled so many Peel players into training and doing lots of match Sims.

I’d pay $7m for 7 years for MacDonald and two first rounders. Those who state anything below are dreaming he would leave as easily get that cash from Sydney post buddy.

Essentially the core of our team till 2030 is :
Logue, Chapman, Cox, young,
Darcy, Serong , Brayshaw, Erasmus,Henry, Johnson,Freddy
Amiss, Sturt , Treacy and MacDonald.

Throw in Clark, Brodie, Walker, Western, Benning and Meek that’s a starting 18. (Not including Mundy)
This is how you destroy your salary cap and eventually your team. Like how the Eagles are struggling because McGovern isn't living up to his enormous contract anymore. Absolutely bananas.

It's better to give McDonald a shorter contract with significant triggers should he meet certain milestones. A high paying 2 year contract would be better for an unproven forward, give them a chance to show they're worth a big contract. McDonald's manager has already stated that a 4 year contract is not ideal for such a young player because there is a good chance he's locked into a rate that he outperforms and thus ends up getting underpaid.

AFL clubs must be down to just 28 available players before they could activate a top-up

WC would be able to activate a top up from the get go.

I still think Freo are planning on taking an SSP player and having them train with the club full-time in season, rather than having someone come in under less-than-ideal preparation (in the likely event that Covid strikes the list). The club are all-in on finals this year. All the talk and pre-season selections are consistent with them doing everything they can to limit any disruption and achieve that goal. This article may be an indication that they'll choose a non-Peel player (likely Schlensog or Keitel) as they'll have more control over the affiliate players anyway but I'd still favour those guys regardless.

It would be a nightmare to have to slot in three or four non key position players. You run them through the middle, they aren't as fast, they aren't as good with the ball, they don't know where their team mates will be running to and they don't have the ability to play four quarters there. You have to play the likes of your small forwards in the midfield in their place - so now you've got slow, reactive and exhausted small forwards on the field.

But tall players... that's different. Lead out of the goal square, or defend the deepest forward, tag him. Easy. Compete as long as you can.

That's why it's so good that we have had other players playing midfield roles during the preseason. We have quite a rotation possible with players who can play and contribute elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is how you destroy your salary cap and eventually your team. Like how the Eagles are struggling because McGovern isn't living up to his enormous contract anymore. Absolutely bananas.

It's better to give McDonald a shorter contract with significant triggers should he meet certain milestones. A high paying 2 year contract would be better for an unproven forward, give them a chance to show they're worth a big contract. McDonald's manager has already stated that a 4 year contract is not ideal for such a young player because there is a good chance he's locked into a rate that he outperforms and thus ends up getting underpaid.
Why did Lobb choose us over WC? We paid more and for longer.
Why wouldn’t WC do a similar deal for who they target?
They were playing finals, I know if I had the choice and one club is offering
100 grand more a year?
Sure our window is open but WC will be there by 2028 or sooner?

Two firsts is the equivalent of a Judd trade.

Judd was at the time the best player in the league. A dominant, young proven force the likes of which we havent seen since and may not see for a long time. I hate to say it because he played for the scum but it is true.

Even at that level of proven, young player the eagles got 200 games from biter and a leading KPF league wide for over a decade. Carlton did well out of the trade in that Judd was still a gun, though less explosive. But even for a generational player like Judd, it was 2 firsts.

Logan should not be near 2 firsts unless he kicks 70 goals this season.

It would be a nightmare to have to slot in three or four non key position players. You run them through the middle, they aren't as fast, they aren't as good with the ball, they don't know where their team mates will be running to and they don't have the ability to play four quarters there. You have to play the likes of your small forwards in the midfield in their place - so now you've got slow, reactive and exhausted small forwards on the field.

But tall players... that's different. Lead out of the goal square, or defend the deepest forward, tag him. Easy. Compete as long as you can.

That's why it's so good that we have had other players playing midfield roles during the preseason. We have quite a rotation possible with players who can play and contribute elsewhere.
I don't disagree with your point, and you're right - if we lost 3-4 non key-position players, we could cover them within our list. However, if we lost 3-4 key-position players without trained-up back-up, we'd be screwed.

Last edited:
Two firsts is the equivalent of a Judd trade.

Judd was at the time the best player in the league. A dominant, young proven force the likes of which we havent seen since and may not see for a long time. I hate to say it because he played for the scum but it is true.

Even at that level of proven, young player the eagles got 200 games from biter and a leading KPF league wide for over a decade. Carlton did well out of the trade in that Judd was still a gun, though less explosive. But even for a generational player like Judd, it was 2 firsts.

Logan should not be near 2 firsts unless he kicks 70 goals this season.

Judd & #46 for pick #3, pick #4 (Kennedy), #20

Kennedy was very recently contracted for another two seasons before that trade so let's assume his trade value was his draft value.

McDonald would be pick #13 and #15

Very different prospect, but I agree. He needs to play really well to warrant more than our first, and then the next step is a future second with the first before we move to two firsts.

Anyone want to have a crack at our topups?

Peel: Cullen, Polson, Bell ??
SD: Watson
Claremont: Rogers (Eagles will take Bolton)
Souths: Schlensog, Strom
Falcons: Keitel (Maybe beat Eagles out here?)
EF: ?? (Joyce or Nads? Eagles may take though)
Subi: ?? Giro?

These ones are the most likely IMO anyone else?

We can trade our future 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick OR our future 1st round pick.

We need to have used two first round picks in a four year period. We used two last year, so we don't need to take a 1st round pick to the draft until 2024/2025
I'm sorry Tay but the others are right. If our predictions are right Eagles are going to drop down the ladder this year which means they will have the better draft picks to offer. Only way would be to offer a higher salary so Logan nominates us.

I'm sorry Tay but the others are right. If our predictions are right Eagles are going to drop down the ladder this year which means they will have the better draft picks to offer. Only way would be to offer a higher salary so Logan nominates us.

It would look like Tim Kelly. We had better draft currency and Geelong wanted to join us, but Sydney would need to deal with the team that Logan McDonald nominated. The best of that outcome would be West Coast holding a first round pick they feel is far too high for McDonald and wouldn't be trading that anyway - meaning we are back in above the two first round picks they have this draft.

Anyone want to have a crack at our topups?

Peel: Cullen, Polson, Bell ??
SD: Watson
Claremont: Rogers (Eagles will take Bolton)
Souths: Schlensog, Strom
Falcons: Keitel (Maybe beat Eagles out here?)
EF: ?? (Joyce or Nads? Eagles may take though)
Subi: ?? Giro?

These ones are the most likely IMO anyone else?
That Derksen we tried to get to train with us from Peel is a good chance, could see us nominating Riley Smith as a ruck back up

It would look like Tim Kelly. We had better draft currency and Geelong wanted to join us, but Sydney would need to deal with the team that Logan McDonald nominated. The best of that outcome would be West Coast holding a first round pick they feel is far too high for McDonald and wouldn't be trading that anyway - meaning we are back in above the two first round picks they have this draft.
I Hope Please GIF

Reading the last few pages of this thread - the season can’t start soon enough. Some absolute fantasyland scenarios being touted here.
Regarding the go home factor for Logan - isn’t he from some obscure wheatbelt town like wongan hills? He’s a WA country kid then, similar to a vic country kid (there is one of the classic AFL cliches - pick vic county kids they never return home).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back