List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing about McDonald - unlike when Hogan was with the Dees, if we don’t get McDonald we should still be ok with Amiss and Treacy.

The conversation around McDonald, English and Jackson.

McDonalds manager is clearly shopping him around. Actually not sure we need him at what his manger wants.

Jackson, love what he does, but he’s a ruckman more than a forward.

English is in a difficult position as Bulldogs want him to be main ruck, but he’s more a FWD who can ruck. With Darcy coming through he might be surplus to requirements.

And interesting read on English…

If Lobb goes as expected then English is a good replacement.

Jackson clearly will but head butting with our S Darcy for #1 ruck.

McDonald whilst a need, his manager is just shopping around, I don’t see him leaving.

If we had to go out of contract hunting, English is my man!

If Lobb goes as expected then English is a good replacement.

Jackson clearly will but head butting with our S Darcy for #1 ruck.

McDonald whilst a need, his manager is just shopping around, I don’t see him leaving.

If we had to go out of contract hunting, English is my man!
I agree with that article 100% but I have come to a different conclusion, Walkingwounded.

I think English is tracking beautifully for a developing ruck. His stats match up well against the premier rucks in the league at the same age. The one he comes up short against is our own Darcy - and I dare say he is the outlier. Very few ruckmen have had the same impact in the centre that Sean has had, from his very first game to his 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons. He's just now beginning to understand how much better he can become by improving his fitness and diet, and I look forward to watching him rise up to the top echelon of ruckmen in the league. Conversely, I think English will take a bit longer but his improvement will come once he fills out and grows in confidence. I reckon they've got many an intriguing battle to come over the best part of the next decade.

As far as the Bulldogs go, I think that once Martin retires, English would be expected to assume the mantle of main ruck, rotating into the forward line with the developing Sam Darcy in a potentially devastating combo for years to come. (If he sticks around that is.)

Unless Jackson is still growing, I think he's too short for a lead ruck. He is, however, perfect for the second ruck role. He'd be the one I'd want but I don't see Freo giving up what he'd cost - both in draft/player capital, and having that much of the salary cap tied up in those two positions. (That's if he even wants to leave.)

Last edited:
English is not a good replacement for Lobb. Close to the most overrated player in the league.

Would cost the same pay packet as Lobb is on now too - for inferior performance. And the bulldogs would probably want our first rounder. **** that!

I’d much rather hold Lobb to his contract as I’d rather Lobb play for us for just 2023 than have English for longer.

If Lobb leaves we shouldn’t pay much to replace him. The idea of a half decent ruck kicking multiple goals a game is only one that comes true once or twice a generation league wide. I would much rather pay a packet of chips for an opposition forward/ruck and honestly if Meek is better than this guy by mid-2023 then so be it. Overall our list would be better off and we’d have significant extra salary cap space which will be important given Serong, Young, Henry, Ryan, Frederick and Treacy are out of contract in 2023.

Last edited:
I agree with that article 100% but I have come to a different conclusion, Walkingwounded.

I think English is tracking beautifully for a developing ruck. His stats match up well against the premier rucks in the league at the same age. The one he comes up short against is our own Darcy - and I dare say he is the outlier. Very few ruckmen have had the same impact in the centre that Sean has had, from his very first game to his 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons. He's just now beginning to understand how much better he can become by improving his fitness and diet, and I look forward to watching him rise up to the top echelon of ruckmen in the league. Conversely, I think English will take a bit longer but his improvement will come once he fills out and grows in confidence. I reckon they've got many an intriguing battle to come over the best part of the next decade.

As far as the Bulldogs go, I think that once Martin retires, English would be expected to assume the mantle of main ruck, rotating into the forward line with the developing Sam Darcy in a potentially devastating combo for years to come. (If he sticks around that is.)

Unless Jackson is still growing, I think he's too short for a lead ruck. He is, however, perfect for the second ruck role. He'd be the one I'd want but I don't see Freo giving up what he'd cost - both in draft/player capital, and having that much of the salary cap tied up in those two positions. (That's if he even wants to leave.)
The draft and astute trades have set our list up for 5-10 years, I don’t know why we would stray from the path?
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Meek be more than serviceable, and we have
Benning developing too.
So many players haven’t even reached the 50 game mark.
We just need patience, and players who want to buy in, and basically it was Cerra
and maybe Lobb who will leave?
I’d rather chase Sharpe at GC, as the wing or a small forward otherwise we have the squad to play finals for many years😀

The draft and astute trades have set our list up for 5-10 years, I don’t know why we would stray from the path?
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Meek be more than serviceable, and we have
Benning developing too.
So many players haven’t even reached the 50 game mark.
We just need patience, and players who want to buy in, and basically it was Cerra
and maybe Lobb who will leave?
I’d rather chase Sharpe at GC, as the wing or a small forward otherwise we have the squad to play finals for many years😀
If we were chasing Sharpe maybe we could offer a direct swap for Walker, O'Driscoll, Frederick or one of the other contenders we have for that position. We certainly wouldn't be needing them, and I'd prefer to hold our first round draft pick.

I'd personally avoid chasing him and stay on track.

Yes we are building a great list, and we should continue drafting for needs. Selling the farm for a trade target is asking for trouble. It costs way too much, and we will miss out on the best talent in the draft. Then the same BF posters (that are currently obsessed with Jackson and McDonald) will then obsess with trading to get them. Imagine if we missed out on Amiss and then in 3 years traded two firsts for him. It is an exercise in diminishing returns.

This is how you destroy your salary cap and eventually your team. Like how the Eagles are struggling because McGovern isn't living up to his enormous contract anymore. Absolutely bananas.

It's better to give McDonald a shorter contract with significant triggers should he meet certain milestones. A high paying 2 year contract would be better for an unproven forward, give them a chance to show they're worth a big contract. McDonald's manager has already stated that a 4 year contract is not ideal for such a young player because there is a good chance he's locked into a rate that he outperforms and thus ends up getting underpaid.
I’m confused do you want him or not? My deal will get it done yours will not.

Actually, in your logic I’d just pay him $20 and an apple gift card. This offer and your won’t get it done. Tell me what is going to get McDonald here? Or you just don’t want him?

I’d rather a key forward come 2025 on $7m than 4 mid range free agents during that time.

Yes we are building a great list, and we should continue drafting for needs. Selling the farm for a trade target is asking for trouble. It costs way too much, and we will miss out on the best talent in the draft. Then the same BF posters (that are currently obsessed with Jackson and McDonald) will then obsess with trading to get them. Imagine if we missed out on Amiss and then in 3 years traded two firsts for him. It is an exercise in diminishing returns.

Yep - which is why I think it needs to be a first and a third or a late second. Anything more and it is too much.

Brah, there is absolutely no way they give him 7m over 7 years this year. He can replace Buddy’s position but that doesnt mean he’s worth that contract. He’d probably have to kick 60 goals this year to be close to worth that
Gotta pay 💰. The cash is there in the TPP. If we don’t get him now we won’t get him. Sydney can match the $ if it’s a fair price.

MacDonald and Amiss. That’s a forward line for a decade.

Anyone want to have a crack at our topups?

Peel: Cullen, Polson, Bell ??
SD: Watson
Claremont: Rogers (Eagles will take Bolton)
Souths: Schlensog, Strom
Falcons: Keitel (Maybe beat Eagles out here?)
EF: ?? (Joyce or Nads? Eagles may take though)
Subi: ?? Giro?
It looks likely that they'll come primarily from Peel, with supplementary players from our NGA listed clubs - EF, SF, C & WP.

Exclusive: AFL clubs to nominate 20-top up players
But the rules are different for the Perth and Adelaide-based teams who have been told they can each nominate four players from four clubs to compile a top-up list of 16 to go with their four reserves players.

See the bottom article posted by Dale147 here for clarification.

To that extent, maybe:
PT: Luke Polsen, Lachie Cullen, Wade Derksen, Riley Smith?
EF: Luke Strnadica, Tom Joyce, Josh Schoenfeld, Jonathon Marsh?
SF: Blake Schlensog, Zac Strom, Brendon Ah Chee?, Haiden Schloithe :openmouth:
C: Bailey Rogers, Jye Bolton, Ronin O'Connor?
WP: Tyler Keitel, Noah Pegoraro, Luke Meadows?, Ben Johnson?, Mark Hutchings?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like our list is finally at the point now where we can go all in on a trade target that moves the needle.

Re: Jackson, he’s a ruck/midfielder not a forward/ruck which is what we need. Although he’s prodigious talent it feels like a waste having both him & Darcy on the same list mainly due to fit (not to mention trade capital and salary requirements)

Re: McDonald, I feel like people are forgetting how hard it is to lure gun players to WA let alone KPFs - trying and failing many times over the past 15 years is case in point. I understand he hasn’t yet set the word on fire, but KPFs rarely do in their debut year. He was incredible in his draft year playing against grown men, let’s not forget.

If he’s attainable, I say we go all in. We could solidify the spine of our team for the next 10+ years. Our list is now at the point where we can do so with far less downside than say 2, 3 years ago.

Re: McDonald, I feel like people are forgetting how hard it is to lure gun players to WA let alone KPFs - trying and failing many times over the past 15 years is case in point. I understand he hasn’t yet set the word on fire, but KPFs rarely do in their debut year. He was incredible in his draft year playing against grown men, let’s not forget.

If he’s attainable, I say we go all in. We could solidify the spine of our team for the next 10+ years. Our list is now at the point where we can do so with far less downside than say 2, 3 years ago.
If he hasn't progressed from being a player with potential to being a player with impact, why not go to the draft? Unless he is cheap (meaning our first and a sweetener, and a realistic salary), he could be yet another addition to our poor trades in search of the golden ticket.

Being super talented in your draft year has had quite a few players drafted as potential star forwards (Polak, Watts and Lukosius come to mind).

Lemmey and Keeler look super talented and hit our needs just as sweetly, with the added bonus of potential to ruck.

Dockers to “monitor” Demons young gun
Fremantle GM of Football Peter Bell says the club will monitor Luke Jackson’s contract situation at Melbourne.

If we were chasing Sharpe maybe we could offer a direct swap for Walker, O'Driscoll, Frederick or one of the other contenders we have for that position. We certainly wouldn't be needing them, and I'd prefer to hold our first round draft pick.

I'd personally avoid chasing him and stay on track.
Well he is contracted till 2023, so I was thinking he would be a target in 2024?
Kid is going to be a very good winger, and with Clark that is some serious speed.
I think Freddy will play half forward, NOD utility, and Walker to replace Wilson.
I wonder if we are close to the fastest team in the AFL?

2 teenagers aren't a premiership forward line? Whaaaaaatttttt?
Also, the window the club has given is 4 years isn't it? Taberner will still be with us in that time frame.

I don't think we have a good enough picture of what the ceilings are for Amiss and Treacy, and I also see opportunities to manage players such as Chapman and Cox to have an impact forward.

My personal opinion is that if our midfield is good enough, then we can field a forward line that is good enough.

Switkowski Taberner Amiss
Sturt Treacy Erasmus

Clearly others can fill spots in there but there is capacity for pace, marking, defensive pressure and goal kicking on the list. Would love to add another KPF to the list to develop come draft time because I do have concerns about the ability to fast track someone like Amiss.

If he hasn't progressed from being a player with potential to being a player with impact, why not go to the draft? Unless he is cheap (meaning our first and a sweetener, and a realistic salary), he could be yet another addition to our poor trades in search of the golden ticket.

Being super talented in your draft year has had quite a few players drafted as potential star forwards (Polak, Watts and Lukosius come to mind).

Lemmey and Keeler look super talented and hit our needs just as sweetly, with the added bonus of potential to ruck.
If Lemmey & Keeler are anywhere near as good as McDonald was in his draft year we won’t have access to them anyway.

If McDonald was to come on in a big way this year would that change your position?

If Lemmey & Keeler are anywhere near as good as McDonald was in his draft year we won’t have access to them anyway.

If McDonald was to come on in a big way this year would that change your position?
It should change everyone's position shouldn't it? It is a massive difference to start putting games together rather than be a player who showed potential. But I am fundamentally against paying a high trade price and large salary for a player based on potential.

I'm naming Lemmey and Keeler because as well as being great list fits they are also non Victorian. At this early stage there are half a dozen players ahead of either of them. It's looking like a great draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back