Preview 2022 Rd 23 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday August 21 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1305

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In: Williams, Cerra
Out: Newnes, Owies/Durdin, Dow (unused sub)

Williams Weitering Marchbank
McGovern Young Saad

Pittonet Walsh Docherty
Cerra Cripps Cottrell

Silvagni Curnow Martin
Motlop McKay Owies/Durdin

Setterfield O'Brien Stocker Fisher

Sub: Owies/Durdin

Prepared to take the risk on Williams especially. He might be underdone but we have Stocker on the bench. Williams has the pace that we need back there to take the pressure off Saad having to do all the work.

Doc at the stoppages again thanks. Looks way better in there.

We have Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Fisher and Martin doing the small man stuff up forward and down the ground and the productivity isn't there for 5 spots to be taken up. I think Motlop always looks the most threatening and has some sublime ball handling skills. They can choose which one of Owies or Durdin plays and the other becomes the sub.
I agree with you on Motlop just can’t get my head around a guy who hasn’t played in months who isn’t right to play VFL last Sunday is ok to play high intensity elimination final
Motlop is one touch and rarely wastes a disposal

You can just see it next week.

Charlie misses out on the Coleman and we lose.

It’s written somewhere.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope.

Jeremy Cameron out with a hammy.

Even if Charlie kicks 0 goals, he'll still win the Coleman unless Hawkins or Lynch can kick 8.

Could this be an omen possibly?

Interesting bit from 'First Crack' about how Sydney beat Collingwood: A 24-month rise has seen Sydney surge from also-rans to ‘box seat’ for the top two. This is how

In short, Collingwood like to swarm the area with players to apply pressure...the key was Sydney keeping their width and ultimately having the composure under pressure to feed the ball out wide to the spare player who has time to make an effective disposal. Obviously if you handball to someone only a few metres away then you're just transferring the pressure.

Another was managing to find uncontested marks so Collingwood couldn't pressure and couldn't counter-attack with run as much.

Last point was tagging Nick Daicos, which is incredible for him as a first year player. But I've watched him a lot this year and he's very good. They tagged him when he was playing half back and also when he went into the middle. He's a prime mover for them already with his running and silky skills.

We need to learn from Sydney and do something similar.

The difference is a rusty Owies is sub-standard.
A smother doesn't make up for his inability to make possessions count.
I know you're not a fan of Owies Stamos.

But I'd argue Marchbank was very average...no real impact in the air and a few shanked kicks out of defence. Also Weitering was well beaten by MELKSHAM for a few of his goals and basically didn't have any impact at all - and hasn't really since he's returned. Pitto not great - no shame in losing to Gawn but still could have done better and was poor a few weeks ago in his first game back. Gov could be blamed for the Melksham mark late when we had 4v2...he was in the best position to spoil.

We don't even have any viable alternatives as I believe Honey is injured and he wasn't exactly lighting it up when he was playing anyway.

Was feeling pretty confident on change/s but does seem a bit unclear reading through this thread!

Assuming Cerra is good to go, he's in for Newnes, move Doc to the backline. Happy for Setters to get some midfield rotations still.

Then it's just if Williams is ready. Personally I'm not sure if we need a 3rd tall (Marchbank) for Ash Johnson, can McGovern play on him? Maybe they'll want Marchbank on him so McGovern can intercept, in which case Stocker would seem the unlucky one. I do like Stocker's hardness though. I also wouldn't be opposed to Plowman playing, but seems unlikely.

OUT: Newnes, Stocker
IN: Cerra, Williams

Newnes a very versatile sub, letting Setterfield play more mids if need be (or even covering a defender/Doc if he's needed there)

I originally thought this too but now I’d go for LOb out instead of Stocker as I’m not sure about LOb playing on either Josh Daicos or Sidebottom and I’d much rather push Cerra (who it seems is very likely to return) onto one wing with Cotts on the other wing most likely in a run with role.

Also playing Cerra on the wing and Stocker as a small back allows Setts and Doc to play in the middle for longer where they both excelled on the weekend and gives us a balanced rotation in those positions.

Agreed Newnes should be the sub because he is at least versatile and has been playing at league level recently so will be able to handle the occasion as opposed to throwing in a wildcard like Dow, Fog, Honey, Carroll or Kemp into the cauldron that will be the G on Sunday.

Last edited:
I know you're not a fan of Owies Stamos.

But I'd argue Marchbank was very average...no real impact in the air and a few shanked kicks out of defence. Also Weitering was well beaten by MELKSHAM for a few of his goals and basically didn't have any impact at all - and hasn't really since he's returned. Pitto not great - no shame in losing to Gawn but still could have done better and was poor a few weeks ago in his first game back.

We don't even have any viable alternatives as I believe Honey is injured and he wasn't exactly lighting it up when he was playing anyway.
Weitering copped a heavy knock on the ribs so I'm not surprised that impacted his gameplay. Pitto was probably brought in too early when he was, and was also ill. They'll both be better for the run.

Weitering copped a heavy knock on the ribs so I'm not surprised that impacted his gameplay. Pitto was probably brought in too early when he was, and was also ill. They'll both be better for the run.
I'm backing all those guys in. Including Owies. We came so close to beating a top team who had everything to play for.

Point was I think it's unfair for some to single out Owies when other players like Weitering/Marchbank/Pitto/Gov have been average since their return from injuries as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm backing all those guys in. Including Owies.

Point was I think it's unfair to single out Owies when other players like Weitering/Marchbank/Pitto/Gov have been average since their return from injuries as well.
Gov has been average since he came back? I beg to differ.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but I've only just seen the images of Voss walking off with the team, arm and arm with Cripps, on Saturday.

A gesture like this says more then any slogans and platitudes.

I'm looking forward to the repsonse.
Yep seen that, Cripps has been charged by the MRO for unduly high contact....

I thought Pittonet was the right choice for Melbourne. We needed the bigger body for Gawn. I think TDK is the right choice for Collingwood, more athletic, ability to go Forward. Horses for courses. Cant play them both.

I thought Pittonet was the right choice for Melbourne. We needed the bigger body for Gawn. I think TDK is the right choice for Collingwood, more athletic, ability to go Forward. Horses for courses. Cant play them both.
You say ability to go forward but he hasn't been all that effective up forward. That kick 15m out vs the Saints is still stuck in my mind.

It's no coincidence that our midfield started to struggle the moment he started to fatigue after games of getting crashed into. We really need someone to absorb that crash and bash pressure, and start winning taps to our mids. No way TDK should be picked ahead of Pitto in this game for that very reason. The Collingwood ruck duo destroyed him last time, and he didn't really do anything to compensate for that.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but I've only just seen the images of Voss walking off with the team, arm and arm with Cripps, on Saturday.

A gesture like this says more then any slogans and platitudes.

I'm looking forward to the repsonse.

I posted it yesterday in the autopsy thread.

For those that haven’t seen it ...

f9a4a451-afec-42b1-8a32-d59f58b01a2e-jpeg.1477038

No way Setterfield is being dropped after the game he had, particularly with Hewett and Kennedy out. Keep him on-ball where he's best, it's not like we have much choice anyway.

Yes, while Collingwood is all about pressure - they can still be cut up. * had them on toast and if it weren't for easy missed shots, they would have won. The same argument can be made for Melbourne too (who had 24 more inside 50s). They are vulnerable against key forwards, we have one of the best combos in the league. Utilise them well enough and we'll win. Though we haven't been doing that all too well, as people have said, bombing it over their heads will mean Collingwood will just rebound it effortlessly.

Only way we'll stifle their gameplan is pressure pressure pressure. What could go in our favour is that they're coming from interstate with a day less. Their "keep it close, roll the dice and take risk" style just isn't sustainable. Their run of wins, in terms of margin, is unprecedented, the fall off was bound to happen. Maybe they are getting tired, but I don't think that's much of a thing, we can say the same about us and these are professional footballers who are preparing for finals so it doesn't make much sense to be "too tired" when things are starting to get ramped up. Unless they have some niggles we don't know about, but again, the same can be said of us.

Getting games into Pitto has been vital, he's getting better and better each week - I think people are underrating his presence. TDK tries hard, but he's not winning the ruck battle which is hampering our mids to get it out. I don't even remember the last time he's had a win against opposition ruckman, maybe the Freo game? What Pitto adds is that big body who can block for Walsh and help Cripps out with the contested work. He can also win a tap.
Top post, my only worry is the filth's game style is not suited to SCG play can easily be congested hard to slingshot from goal to goal. The wide open space of the G suits their kicking skills and their ability to spread.

Lloyd brought it up on the Sunday footy show. Said voss started walking off with his hand in his pockets then turned around and gave all the players at pat on the bum and put his arm and Cripps and walked off together! Got a massive praise for it too
about 3 minutes in

TDK lost the hitout count (18) to BOTH of Melb’s reserves ruckmen (23 & 20) in the weekend. Not sure that deserves a re-call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back