Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't keep playing without a third tall, Plowman in that position absolutely kills us, he can't play it. One of McGovern, Marchbank or Parks have to play at all times.

We have guys in the VFL putting their hands up which is good. Dow has been good but our midfield so far has been full. Motlop has been good but IMO may struggle with the pace of AFL and hasn't fully developed the pressure act par of his game. Stocker has had two games, one was a very big game but as a small defender there really isn't a spot there yet. Philp looks the good, I'm adamant he will make it but I would like to see him play a few more games there.

We need speed. My god do we look slow when a few quicker players come out. Would be very keen to add Motlop and Philp.

We need to give Kemp some time in the midfield and develop him there. His athletic profile would be ideal on wing.

Stocker I think needs to play a bit more midfield to see if he is ready for it however it looks like he's going to remain in defence.

Who's out of form.

Cerra - He's played one good game out of 3. His last few weeks have been trash. Supposed to be a good kick but has just butchered it. Can we put up with one more bad game if Dow keeps banging the door down? Standards.

De Koning - He's taken one good mark and looked threatening in just one game, round one. Has kicked no goals and got slaughtered in the ruck this week. He was terrible the week before against Hawthorn, not touching the ball and often getting outmarked. He's only in the side because he playing a role. We could go back to SOS in the ruck.

Plowman - He's an old fashioned lock down defender which is not what you want in a third tall defender. Third tall needs to be able to play off his man, give the key position players a chop out and take intercept marks. He's too slow and too short to be able to do that. He's not as good as our small defenders to get a gig in that role or offensive enough for that role.

Fogarty - he comes in as a forward but really is not one. He's a level below AFL level but a good VFL player.

Martin - Went out of our way to get him and he has been terrible. Can't get it, effort is not there and skills are poor as poor. Doesn't look like he wants it.

Boyd - Came on as sub so that is ok, he was better this week but I feel he's not quite up to it.

O'Brien - The offensive part of his game has got better but the defensive part of his game is completely absent.

Setterfield - He's been ok but a winger who isn't great below his knees and lacks pace is not appealing.

Great assessment. Agree with everything.

We can't keep playing without a third tall, Plowman in that position absolutely kills us, he can't play it. One of McGovern, Marchbank or Parks have to play at all times.

We have guys in the VFL putting their hands up which is good. Dow has been good but our midfield so far has been full. Motlop has been good but IMO may struggle with the pace of AFL and hasn't fully developed the pressure act par of his game. Stocker has had two games, one was a very big game but as a small defender there really isn't a spot there yet. Philp looks the good, I'm adamant he will make it but I would like to see him play a few more games there.

We need speed. My god do we look slow when a few quicker players come out. Would be very keen to add Motlop and Philp.

We need to give Kemp some time in the midfield and develop him there. His athletic profile would be ideal on wing.

Stocker I think needs to play a bit more midfield to see if he is ready for it however it looks like he's going to remain in defence.

Who's out of form.

Cerra - He's played one good game out of 3. His last few weeks have been trash. Supposed to be a good kick but has just butchered it. Can we put up with one more bad game if Dow keeps banging the door down? Standards.

De Koning - He's taken one good mark and looked threatening in just one game, round one. Has kicked no goals and got slaughtered in the ruck this week. He was terrible the week before against Hawthorn, not touching the ball and often getting outmarked. He's only in the side because he playing a role. We could go back to SOS in the ruck.

Plowman - He's an old fashioned lock down defender which is not what you want in a third tall defender. Third tall needs to be able to play off his man, give the key position players a chop out and take intercept marks. He's too slow and too short to be able to do that. He's not as good as our small defenders to get a gig in that role or offensive enough for that role.

Fogarty - he comes in as a forward but really is not one. He's a level below AFL level but a good VFL player.

Martin - Went out of our way to get him and he has been terrible. Can't get it, effort is not there and skills are poor as poor. Doesn't look like he wants it.

Boyd - Came on as sub so that is ok, he was better this week but I feel he's not quite up to it.

O'Brien - The offensive part of his game has got better but the defensive part of his game is completely absent.

Setterfield - He's been ok but a winger who isn't great below his knees and lacks pace is not appealing.
Agree except I think you're being very harsh on O'Brien, friend of mine won a league BnF as an offensive winger, went to TAC Cup Western Jets off of it. It's a legitimate position that recruiters look at, so must be valued in AFL circles.

I also think you're being unfair on Boyd, looked ordinary last week but thought he was actually pretty tidy this week against the Suns.

Otherwise, great assessment. Kemp would be amazing in the midfield somewhere, have you seen how quick the bloke is???

I also think you're being unfair on Boyd, looked ordinary last week but thought he was actually pretty tidy this week against the Suns.

In full agreeance with this. Thought he was bog average in his first game, but actually showed a little bit against the Suns when he came on early as the sub.

Wings are a problem…I don’t think we can have setters and LOB in tandem

I’ve been quite big on wanting Walsh as winger but it seems the MC are intent of having him in the centre square….

Could Doc come in and do a job there ?
It seems he is the perfect player with his defensive mindset and knowledge of the game

It also opens up a spot for Stock across HB

Setters and LOB won’t take us to the next level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been quite big on wanting Walsh as winger but it seems the MC are intent of having him in the centre square….

It seems he is the perfect player with his defensive mindset and knowledge of the game

I been keeping my eye on setters & he adds absolutely nothing to this team on the wing.
his disposal is poor, his speed is poor, his link play is poor. He doesn’t go in & get it when the opportunity arises but hangs outside like a seagull waiting for the chip (ball) to spill, which is probably due to his position. he does tackle well though.
if he can’t make it as a mid, he’s depth at best, vfl player.

Young wasn't great on the weekend, but I wonder if we bring OMac back (if fit) for Plow and play the three talls in defence. Might be a touch slow, but I feel like we badly need someone playing interceptor. Weitering is the one that could do it at a high level.

I been keeping my eye on setters & he adds absolutely nothing to this team on the wing.
his disposal is poor, his speed is poor, his link play is poor. He doesn’t go in & get it when the opportunity arises but hangs outside like a seagull waiting for the chip (ball) to spill, which is probably due to his position. he does tackle well though.

I must have watched 4 different games to you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a solution for now but does anyone else think we could develop Cunningham as a winger when get gets back? Has the right set of attributes and could thrive if given a role. Probably down the pecking order as a mid and don't really need him forward.

as long as he handballs it when he marks it.....

unless he has improved significantly he is a no for me, got found out very quickly when they played through his man

I didn't rate him at all last year but looks much improved in the reserves. Intercepting alot and kicking has improved.

It's interesting to see the focus of some. For me, we lost to the Suns because of the ruck and the midfield. That's where the blame lies. Not on the wings. Not because of Newman, Plowman or Young. Our first ruck and midfield played so poorly as a group that it put pressure on all other areas of the team. Fix that and we improve dramatically. I don't think wholesale change is required right now.

It's interesting to see the focus of some. For me, we lost to the Suns because of the ruck and the midfield. That's where the blame lies. Not on the wings. Not because of Newman, Plowman or Young. Our first ruck and midfield played so poorly as a group that it put pressure on all other areas of the team. Fix that and we improve dramatically. I don't think wholesale change is required right now.
Agree to an extent.

Issue #1: ruck, mids getting slapped.
Issue #2: ZERO pressure from our small and half forwards allowing incredibly easy exit and therefore transition
Daylight.
All other issues.

Not a solution for now but does anyone else think we could develop Cunningham as a winger when get gets back? Has the right set of attributes and could thrive if given a role. Probably down the pecking order as a mid and don't really need him forward.

Would like to see DC in the rover position when he returns but not against him lining up on the wing.
Decent disposal, speed, evasiveness, can kick goals.

Agree, he is really an ideal wingman. Carroll and Philp also excellent options, nice to know we have the depth in this area, the wings can be fixed.

We may have an (returning) AA HB with Doc, reckon he stays & Voss was keen to have the HBF’ers stay in their positions (but flexibility, if needed).

Think the Walsh out to the wing makes more sense. Just power up & down and hopefully hit some form. Doesn’t seem to be having much of an impact thus far in 2022.

I’m not a setterfield hater but I’m definitely not a lover either. To me he seems to have just disposal, fumbles and has no real leg speed. I feel like you want your wingers to run all day and really harass OR can hurt the opposition. Ideally they can do both. Neither of our current wingmen seem to be able to do either.

Not relevant to us but I saw a stat that Langdon form Melbourne had his first sit down on the bench last game. That’s amazing to me that he plays 100% game time typically in his role

Who's out of form.

It appears that a growing consensus sees that:

1. The lack of intercept marking is an issue for the team ; ( ie we miss McGovern's input) and
2. Setterfield and LoB as flankers aren't a strong point for the team -

my observation is that they are both being used more as defensive numbers than not and HFF are being used as very high to cover for the defensive positioning of the flankers...

This invites the corridor kick against Carlton as the boundaries entries are more congested - but without a good intercept marking game to stop the corridor kick - the opposition has found easy entry over the top of the midfield - the Suns game highlighted the added pressure on this as they were able to dominate the contested and exit game - I doubt that the midfield will be beaten as convincingly again.

I don't think the so-called 'lack of leg speed' in the on-ball brigade is the #1 issue that has caused trouble at all - I think the problem has been plugging the corridor against uncontested centering kicks over the top.

In order to fix this I think Voss has there options:

1. wait for McGovern to come back (who knows how long this will take) and in the meantime hope that less rather than more opposition efforts succeed
2. re-deploy Weitering into an intercept marking role - which would free up oppositions #1 forward to Young
3. add height to the defensive mix to bolster the defense whilst freeing Weitering - this would mean adding McDonald (when he becomes available) to Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back