Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah you’re right , was just in the bunch of names for melb but not 2nd pref

Nice get by the giants at 17 I think

Interesting that the giants really didn’t have many on their list at all
You can see why they took our deal as getting leake was made more possible and we were the only club in the frame with 2 picks that worked for them

You can see why they took our deal as getting leake was made more possible and we were the only club in the frame with 2 picks that worked for them
I'm obviously happy they took our trade, but surely the North pick would have been better, 2 x first rounders + their own, they could have taken Leake with their first, Gothard with their second (reversing their talent order but ensuring they get both), and then taken the next pick either back into next year for first, (trade with freo?) or taken another first rounder.

You just don't know what is going to happen, I bet clubs have all been burnt trying to be too clever, they seem risk adverse right now.

Same as West Coast, they could have traded pick 1 (HReid) with Melbourne and picked up Curtin and Tholstrup (went Melbourne's second) and still had Melbourne's first round next year, which could easily be 12 -15.

I know Reid is 'generational talent', but 3 first rounders is going to give you a very good shot at getting three best 22 players for a finals quality team, and West Coast need bulk talent.

Problem is they just didn't know if North would take Curtin, they would have looked stupid if they missed Reid and Curtin. Still a wasted opportunity, and if Curtin was gone they could have taken O'Sullivan or Caddy + Tholstrup and F1.

I'm obviously happy they took our trade, but surely the North pick would have been better, 2 x first rounders + their own, they could have taken Leake with their first, Gothard with their second (reversing their talent order but ensuring they get both), and then taken the next pick either back into next year for first, (trade with freo?) or taken another first rounder.

You just don't know what is going to happen, I bet clubs have all been burnt trying to be too clever, they seem risk adverse right now.

Same as West Coast, they could have traded pick 1 (HReid) with Melbourne and picked up Curtin and Tholstrup (went Melbourne's second) and still had Melbourne's first round next year, which could easily be 12 -15.

I know Reid is 'generational talent', but 3 first rounders is going to give you a very good shot at getting three best 22 players for a finals quality team, and West Coast need bulk talent.

Problem is they just didn't know if North would take Curtin, they would have looked stupid if they missed Reid and Curtin. Still a wasted opportunity, and if Curtin was gone they could have taken O'Sullivan or Caddy + Tholstrup and F1.
You lost me - how did they still get their 2 guys with the picks north were offering?

You lost me - how did they still get their 2 guys with the picks north were offering?
Yeah sorry, a bit confusing.

Going by the original picks, North offer picks 15 and 17 for pick 7.

GWS then take picks 15,16,17 to the draft.

They ended up with Leake with pick 16.

I think that's simpler - although they did trade pick 16 with St Kilda at 13 for a future second to get Leake - they could have still done that (to get ahead of St Kilda and Adelaide) - but would have had to use their own instead of the Adelaide second.

Yeah sorry, a bit confusing.

Going by the original picks, North offer picks 15 and 17 for pick 7.

GWS then take picks 15,16,17 to the draft.

They ended up with Leake with pick 16.

I think that's simpler - although they did trade pick 16 with St Kilda at 13 for a future second to get Leake - they could have still done that (to get ahead of St Kilda and Adelaide) - but would have had to use their own instead of the Adelaide second.
Not sure that would have worked as they traded 16 for our 14 and still had to use a 2nd to trade up to get in ahead of St Kilda - and that was for Leake. How then did they get Gothard who ranked 1 on their talent order?

Most think Gothard would have been there at their 2nd, from what I can make of it GWS head recruiter Adam Caruso rated Gothard a fair bit higher than other clubs.
Didn't he also say they took him when they did as they believed he would not have been there at their next pick and didn't want to take the risk?

He was worried about north taking him

Not sure they would have , doubt any other clubs would have either

But worked out for them
North didn’t have a pick before GWS after the deal was made and they still took Gothard first, so basically it sounds like Caruso stuck to his talent order

North didn’t have a pick before GWS after the deal was made and they still took Gothard first, so basically it sounds like Caruso stuck to his talent order
Maybe he was worried North trade a couple of those back ended 1st round picks to get in ahead of GWS taking him at 16? - likely the same reason DODO paid pick 31 to move 1 place with Geelong to get Caddy - possibly more worried about another club buying that pick and taking Caddy

3.25 in - DODO asked about Curtin...sounded like they did want him but had no joy. Extra kudos to our team for being better prepared in case Curtin was available

Interesting, that was my initial reaction (saying “not Curtin” when the crows went to pick) but others here put forward a counter argument that disputed this and in the end it wasn’t overly clear. On the balance of all evidence, looks like Dons DID want Curtin but Reidy worked his magic thankfully. And our club is thrilled with the result esp knowing he was rated top 3 by various other clubs inc both WA teams who will be going hard at trying to bring him home. Thanks goodness for 3 year initial contract..

Maybe he was worried North trade a couple of those back ended 1st round picks to get in ahead of GWS taking him at 16? - likely the same reason DODO paid pick 31 to move 1 place with Geelong to get Caddy - possibly more worried about another club buying that pick and taking Caddy
I think this is the main point, they don't want to risk losing their targets to gain an extra first that they don't particularly want. Adelaide offered the safest trade, the opportunity to get Leake and Gothard, and maintain their future 2nd.

Risk adverse, low depth in draft, move up to get Leake while assured of getting Gothard. Well played GWS, this is the way people play the markets when they already have lots of money.

I think this is the main point, they don't want to risk losing their targets to gain an extra first that they don't particularly want. Adelaide offered the safest trade, the opportunity to get Leake and Gothard, and maintain their future 2nd.

Risk adverse, low depth in draft, move up to get Leake while assured of getting Gothard. Well played GWS, this is the way people play the markets when they already have lots of money.
Yes it was. I suppose the counter to this is had they traded 8 for the WCE F1, they miss 1 of Leake or Gothard but gain likely one of O'Sullivan / Draper / Lalor / Smith. In a few years time it will be seen what the better combination was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good detail in the GWS behind the scenes video as Caruso explains to the team why he's going Gothard first, and mentions the drop off in talent as enormous after their pick.

Pretty good detail in the GWS behind the scenes video as Caruso explains to the team why he's going Gothard first, and mentions the drop off in talent as enormous after their pick.

I think Gothard being a local lad also played a part in it, but thats what I got from it - Caruso really rated him and ranked him as best and stuck to his guns. These guys live and die by their draft calls and he was very strong on Gothard and backed in the decision...and good luck to them.

Who is Daniel Curtin's best U18's mate that didn't get drafted? Could it be Koen Sanchez Jeffcrowe ;)

West Coast to sign Harley Reid’s mate Jason Gilbee to play for WAFL team​

West Coast has made a shrewd move to help No. 1 draft pick Harley Reid settle out west and smooth his transition to life as an AFL player.

Was it Reilly O'Brien we rookie listed and was great mates with Jake Lever?

IIRC, at the time people thought they had edited out Pedlar and he was one of the “4” they wanted. Emma Quayles shocked “no way” was a strange comment otherwise
GWS absolutely wanted Pedlar, so did Freo, can confirm that with absolute certainty. Pretty confident I posted it at the time we drafted him too.

They could've got Curtin if they rated him because it was their pick originally. They didn't rate him. They rated Gothard, who is a NSW boy who they see as a 200+ gamer.

O'Sullivan and Gothard are NSW boys. Curtin is WA with go-home risk and Caddy is Vic Metro and those high picked Metro boys are often associated with go-home factor.
Pretty poor choice of words there. Absolutely every club in this draft had Curtin as a top 5 talent (he's been in that range since he was 16), but as has been mentioned a few times now by other posters, some clubs do have different needs and the Giants saw an opportunity to get the two players they wanted with later picks and gain a 2nd rounder in 2024.

To say the Giants didn't rate him is simply false. North is the club that I think will regret not taking him at pick 3 or 4, but they have a history of weird selections and drafting more of what they already have plenty of (e.g. Will Phillips).

Pretty poor choice of words there. Absolutely every club in this draft had Curtin as a top 5 talent (he's been in that range since he was 16), but as has been mentioned a few times now by other posters, some clubs do have different needs and the Giants saw an opportunity to get the two players they wanted with later picks and gain a 2nd rounder in 2024.

To say the Giants didn't rate him is simply false. North is the club that I think will regret not taking him at pick 3 or 4, but they have a history of weird selections and drafting more of what they already have plenty of (e.g. Will Phillips).
OK ....lets break this down

What's being said is, given a choice of Ablett, Bontempelli, and Curtin ....GWS would take Gothard

What Your Out of your Mind.gif

Anyone who tries to convince me, Clubs choose best available ....and not needs ....you can save your breath, it's a fallacy !!!!

Different to what I've heard.
Either way, very happy we grabbed him when we did.

Can't wait till he plays significant midfield minutes.

Different to what I've heard.
Mate.
Watch the video.

Clearly gws were shocked that pedlar went so early.
They even say they hoped Bruhn wouldn't be taken by anyone so they could take him with their first pick.

GWS had no intention of taking pedlar with their first pick, so Hamish got that info wrong.
But clearly he made the right decision taking him so early, because the guys after him aren't better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back