Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate.
Watch the video.

Clearly gws were shocked that pedlar went so early.
They even say they hoped Bruhn wouldn't be taken by anyone so they could take him with their first pick.

GWS had no intention of taking pedlar with their first pick, so Hamish got that info wrong.
But clearly he made the right decision taking him so early, because the guys after him aren't better.
If your only evidence is the video, then I think you're wrong.

Yeah, a quick google shows that Herald Sun and others were reporting that post draft.
I'm sure he would be selected higher now in hindsight. Would be above half of the players in the top-5.

1 JUH
2 Thilthorpe
3 Philips
4 McDonald
5 Campbell
6 Grainger-Barass
7 Hollands
8 Cox
9 Perkins
10 Reid
11 Pedlar

Twomeys phantom draft mentions Pedlar in pick 18 calculations for GWS.
Also mentioned in Freos pick 14.

AFL draft analysis: Veteran recruiter reveals who really won big at the draft​

ADELAIDE

2. RILEY THILTHORPE 201cm, 100kg, Fwd/Ruck West Adelaide

11. LUKE PEDLAR 182cm, 82kg, Mid Glenelg

25. BRAYDEN COOK 188cm, 74kg, Fwd South Adelaide

28. SAM BERRY 181cm, 81kg, Mid Gippsland Power

38. JAMES ROWE 173cm, 73kg, Fwd Woodville-West Torrens

PRE-SEASON DRAFT: Jackson Hately

ROOKIE DRAFT: Bryce Gibbs

The recruiter: The bid on Jamarra at No. 1 was justified because not only was he the best player, but Adelaide had word the Bulldogs really liked 21-year-old James Rowe, and by bidding on Jamarra they took out the Bulldogs’ opportunity to take him before the Crows did at pick 38. I ranked ruck-forward Riley Thilthorpe at No. 3 and he’s a really impressive young man who will play AFL next year. After losing Brad Crouch they needed to improve their midfield and they’ve added Luke Pedlar, Sam Berry and Jackson Hately. They had to get Pedlar (pick 11) – a tough, hard inside mid – ahead of GWS and Freo. Adding James Borlase and Tariek Newchurch, a skilful forward who I rated in the top 30, as Category B rookies is a great result. They jumped ahead of Collingwood to take Brayden Cook and he’ll add a lot of X-factor. They’ve got Indigenous boys Isaiah Dudley and Blaine O’Laughlin in next year’s academy.
"They had to". That implies inside information that GWS and Freo wanted Pedlar.

No one really knows for certainty each teams draft order except the respective recruiting teams.

Bottom line is we got 2 of the gun players from this draft.

I'm obviously happy they took our trade, but surely the North pick would have been better, 2 x first rounders + their own, they could have taken Leake with their first, Gothard with their second (reversing their talent order but ensuring they get both), and then taken the next pick either back into next year for first, (trade with freo?) or taken another first rounder.

You just don't know what is going to happen, I bet clubs have all been burnt trying to be too clever, they seem risk adverse right now.

Same as West Coast, they could have traded pick 1 (HReid) with Melbourne and picked up Curtin and Tholstrup (went Melbourne's second) and still had Melbourne's first round next year, which could easily be 12 -15.

I know Reid is 'generational talent', but 3 first rounders is going to give you a very good shot at getting three best 22 players for a finals quality team, and West Coast need bulk talent.

Problem is they just didn't know if North would take Curtin, they would have looked stupid if they missed Reid and Curtin. Still a wasted opportunity, and if Curtin was gone they could have taken O'Sullivan or Caddy + Tholstrup and F1.
There comes a point at which clubs just think **** norf and don't let them trade up for an even bigger scam than they already received

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear I saw comments on here, not long after the 2020 draft, that are similar to what Ron Mac is saying right now

That said, also saw comments that alluded to the contrary, too

Moral of the story - BigFooty is one big game of Telephone

I swear I saw comments on here, not long after the 2020 draft, that are similar to what Ron Mac is saying right now

That said, also saw comments that alluded to the contrary, too

Moral of the story - BigFooty is one big game of Telephone

I wonder if that's because there's an alias at play here :think:

Nothin you posted proves GWS were into him for their first pick.
Freo at 14 and GWS at 18 was the earliest he could've gone.

GWS were always takin Bruhn with their first pick if available.
The video proves this.
I think the point is that GWS had three first round picks before we picked again, so the likelihood of them taking Pedlar was pretty high.

We at least felt we had to jump then.

I guess it is still early days, but it has so far been a pretty underwhelming draft.
true but dominated by talls early who are only 3 years in, inc TT. You would expect big improvement of many of the top 5-6 over coming years. Agree that Pedlar is looking like he could quite possibly end up a top 5 player of this draft though. Would anyone seriously swap him with Kangas Phillips?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back