List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not Kemp or Saad. But you could make an argument for the other two. He's also naturally smaller which means he's never gonna be a physically astute defender. Will have to make it up with intent on and off the ball (e.g. Noble, Daniel, Bowey).
Id comfortably have fisher as the worst defender out of anyone who has player there in seniors for us...but outside of newman with ball in hand he has been the best. yes, even better than saad.

it's a tradeoff and my personal preference is too have no weaknesses in the back 7.

Id comfortably have fisher as the worst defender out of anyone who has player there in seniors for us...but outside of newman with ball in hand he has been the best. yes, even better than saad.

it's a tradeoff and my personal preference is too have no weaknesses in the back 7.
Good defenders need to completely remove their opponents impact, gathering possessions is secondary.
Fish looks a million dollars darting around high half back, but appears to be playing unopposed as a spare defender.
I might be wrong, TV doesn't the show off the ball action well.

Last edited:

Good defenders need to completely remove their opponents impact, gathering possessions is secondary.
Fish looks a million dollars darting around high half back, but appears to be playing unopposed as a spare defender.
I might be wrong, TV doesn't show off the ball action well.

Whoever he lines up on when it’s 6/6/6 at a centre bounce is who he’s minding, yes they chop n change but if he’s lining up on the same bloke after every centre bounce then that’s his man.
Unfortunately, you don’t see that on TV….there’s an idea for the TV producers so the fans at home have a clue of who’s lining up on who!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thoughts on where Williams fits now in our best 22?

Could he be used as a high pressure, quick, hff?

like a more athletic fogarty. needs fogs desperation
He's best 22 every day of the week (he's fit). Despite the improvement/development/arrival of Cincotta, Boyd & Fisher, I'm putting him ahead of those guys without thinking twice.

Kemp Weitering Newman
Williams McGovern Saad

Then the bench/7th defender from Fisher, Boyd, Cincotta, Marchbank (or perhaps Doc if he goes back, but I prefer him higher up the ground).

I'd also look at Williams getting a few pinch-hitting mid minutes, not dissimilar to what we've been doing with Fogarty since he returned to the team. About 10% CBA, just to change it up a little once or twice a quarter.

with the abundance of good quality hb flankers I would mind at least one of….kemp or Williams or cinc being trialled up front. I think we are currently heavily relying on Martin and cunners so reckon we need to have more cover in the area.
Williams is the one as a high possession goal kicking HFF.

I'm certain Kemp could make a good goal kicking 3rd tall.

A few interesting proposals for list and trading rules, but one that stood out to me, that I was wrong about, is that currently Mid Season Draftees only get 2 and a half years on the Rookie List, not 3 and a half.
This means Boyd and Mirkov have to be elevated this year.

I might be wrong, TV doesn't show off the ball action well.

Half back is not a lock down role, especially at the highest level. It's more similar to a defensive wing role. Even at low level footy, if you are any good at it, half back is not a lock down role unless given specific instructions.

The thing about fisher is he is going to setup fast play because he can read the game, run with the ball and hit targets. Fast play takes a lot of petrol tickets out of the opposition side which is a big deal in modern footy, that's part of why we need to keep going quick and up the middle. It also creates goals so having a Fisher in the side is going to take the gas out of the opposition and setup scores for us. I'm not seeing bags of goals kicked on him.

The other thing having Fisher in the team does is it keeps them away from going the hard tag on Saad. Without Fisher, Saad is probably the only half back the opposition would really worry about so they lock him down hard. As an opposition you don't really want to be locking down two defenders. So Not only is he good for our ball movement but also good for the opposite back flanker in Saad.

Boyd and Cincotta aren't going to worry opposition sides. I think those two may be competing for the same spot now that Fisher has come in and is playing that half back role at a very high level. Being quick, evasive and a good kick is really suiting him. Teams have not been able to exploit him so far. He's really not playing any differently to Nick Daicos in that he has the same role.

I think you need two half backs who can get off the chain and get 25-30+ and be damaging. Williams is out for the season, Docherty to the midfield, it's taken a chunk out of our backline in this particular role.

A few interesting proposals for list and trading rules, but one that stood out to me, that I was wrong about, is that currently Mid Season Draftees only get 2 and a half years on the Rookie List, not 3 and a half.
Thanks for that. Remember you “correcting” me to the contrary when I suggested that might be the case.

As I stated earlier, we may “run the gauntlet” with Mirkov, given his heart surgery. We could delist him and re-rookie him with a very minimal chance someone would swoop in and steal him.

We need to promote (or delist) a minim of three players to accommodate our the SSP signings to replace the inactive Williams and Philp (Cincotta and O’Keeffe) as well as Irish signing Duffy before we contemplate anything else.

It would be quite spectacular if we could “reset” big Mirk for another three years on the rookie list. Boyd, Cincotta, Cottrell and O’Keeffe would almost certainly be retained and need promotion in the coming off seasons.

O’Brien is contracted for another year and almost certainly would be released if a suitor could be found. Nigel Durdin is super interesting. Potentially offers better back up for Weitering than an unfortunately faltering Young. The amateur list manager in me would attempt to keep Durdin, draft a young KPD and look to trade Young if he has slipped as far in the pecking order as it seems. I like Youngy, but seems to be a confidence player, down on confidence. We clearly want to play undersized, but athletic and mobile Kemp as our second tall at the moment. Dependent on retention of McGovern and Marchbank as well it would seem.

The veteran’s list thing is unlikely to help much for a couple more years (Doc 2026?) unless we were keeping Ed as a VFL mentor. Newy and Saad won’t reach 10 years, so after that comes Crippa.

Not sure allowing Boyd and Mirkov getting to 3 1/2 years helps a lot. Reckon we need to promote two or three this year. The Irish lads and a couple of draftees along with Binns, Lemmey, O’Keeffe and to a lesser extent Hollands will keep the pressure on the development team, as well as upskilling some more mature types.

with the abundance of good quality hb flankers I wouldn’t mind at least one of….kemp or Williams or cinc being trialled up front. I think we are currently heavily relying on Martin and cunners so reckon we need to have more cover in the area.
Please no to Kemp. He looks incredible atm. Needs time to settle.

Williams and Cinc - good ideas. Both are long kicks, and we have depth at their current position.

Can't see it. Gold goast have three gun academy players that they need points for. Fair chance Walter is bid on before #4. Kid is a fair dinkum gun with the same potential that Charlie had at the same time.

Yes, very unlikely as pick#4 will be shuffled off for some point scoring lower picks to absorb their academy kids (there’s also a 4th academy pick to consider outside their top 3).

Was in relation to Dimma signing on, and nearing the time for some name/marquee player recruitment to top off the list.

As I stated earlier, we may “run the gauntlet” with Mirkov, given his heart surgery. We could delist him and re-rookie him with a very minimal chance someone would swoop in and steal him.

We need to promote (or delist) a minim of three players to accommodate our the SSP signings to replace the inactive Williams and Philp (Cincotta and O’Keeffe) as well as Irish signing Duffy before we contemplate anything else.

It would be quite spectacular if we could “reset” big Mirk for another three years on the rookie list. Boyd, Cincotta, Cottrell and O’Keeffe would almost certainly be retained and need promotion in the coming off seasons.

O’Brien is contracted for another year and almost certainly would be released if a suitor could be found. Nigel Durdin is super interesting. Potentially offers better back up for Weitering than an unfortunately faltering Young. The amateur list manager in me would attempt to keep Durdin, draft a young KPD and look to trade Young if he has slipped as far in the pecking order as it seems. I like Youngy, but seems to be a confidence player, down on confidence. We clearly want to play undersized, but athletic and mobile Kemp as our second tall at the moment. Dependent on retention of McGovern and Marchbank as well it would seem.

The veteran’s list thing is unlikely to help much for a couple more years (Doc 2026?) unless we were keeping Ed as a VFL mentor. Newy and Saad won’t reach 10 years, so after that comes Crippa.

Not sure allowing Boyd and Mirkov getting to 3 1/2 years helps a lot. Reckon we need to promote two or three this year. The Irish lads and a couple of draftees along with Binns, Lemmey, O’Keeffe and to a lesser extent Hollands will keep the pressure on the development team, as well as upskilling some more mature types.
Interesting that O'Brien got a 2 year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Denver Grainger Barrass, I don't really remember a recent first round (or especially top 10) key back who had an underwhelming start of their career but then went on to become a great player. I feel like, unlike with key forwards or midfielders, you know what you've got with them pretty quickly, it's just on their body to develop.

I had a quick look at the last few drafts to see if my feeling lined up with reality at all.

2014 draft:
#6 - Marchbank - Had obvious talent from the start but as we well know, his body hasn't held up.
#9 - Darcy Moore - Played as a forward for most of his early career
#14 - Jake Lever - Really great start to his career, got rising star votes in his first year and made the 22 under 22 in his 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

#1 - Weitering - Looked good from the start until we tried to destroy his confidence by playing him as a forward
#6 - Aaron Francis - Never really got going at the bombers. I was surprised to find that he was the Francis playing for the Swans this year.
#17 - Tom Doedee - Came second in the rising star

#7 - Scrimshaw - Only 194 so not a pure KPD, but played a handful of games for the Suns in his first two years and now is a decent player for the Hawks
#8 - Griffin Logue - Don't remember his early days too well, but I think it was pretty injury affected. I guess an average player from the jump and is still pretty average.

#9 - Aaron Naughton - Drafted as a defender and looked really good there in his first year but got moved forward and was even better there.
#13 - Jarrod Brander - Drafted as a swingman but never really made an impact at either end.

#6 - Ben King - Drafted as a defender, looked good but is a forward now

#6 - Fischer McAsey - Never got going, isn't even on a list anymore
#19 - SDK - Was excellent from the get go

Probably too early to say anything about anyone younger than that but you got Mac Andrews and Josh Gibcus in the "probably pretty good" camp and DGB and Zac Reid in the "probably pretty bad" category.

I haven't seen anything from Grainger Barras as a defender to put himself above this group. For me its an avoid, I'd rather take our chances in the draft.
Alex Rance - pick 18
Spent most of his first season playing VFL 2nds.
But you’re right, there isn’t a lot. But it’s always a tough category to select a broken/cheap/potentially worth a punt kpd player.
The formula over the last few years has been forwards that aren’t good enough.
Tom Fullarton?

On a side note, would love to try and get Phil Davis as an assistant coach next year.

I might be wrong, TV doesn't the show off the ball action well.
Depends on the overall team defence, there are a few very good important defenders that haven’t been near an opponent most of their careers, unless they are being tagged by a half forwards.

Caleb Daniel
Nick Daicos
Jack Sinclair

Interesting that O'Brien got a 2 year deal.

I think Hollands and Binns have exceeded expectations. That, along with the recruitment of Acres, has pushed LOB down the pecking order.

The 2 year deal would have been designed to give us time to develop Hollands and Binns in the ressies if needed. Should neither have proven themselves physically ready for senior footy, then I think we'd have seen Acres and LOB in the ones to start the year, with Cottrell then being a viable candidate after his return from injury.

2024 would then have been the year to try and introduce one of Hollands/Binns, with LOB making way and offering injury cover.

Depends on the overall team defence, there are a few very good important defenders that haven’t been near an opponent most of their careers, unless they are being tagged by a half forwards.

Caleb Daniel
Nick Daicos
Jack Sinclair
That's not fair. I remember Daniel trying to match Harry in the air last year

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given Acres is killing it + Holland & Binns, Bailey Smith is not what we would be throwing capital at.

We no longer need to spend mega bucks propping up our wings.

What the hell is going on? Is this team even Carlton any more? :p

If he can get to ok defender or even "not horrible" then his offensive upside means he's a net positive.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carlton (10): David Cuningham (unrestricted free agent), Ed Curnow (unrestricted free agent), Paddy Dow, Sam Durdin (unrestricted free agent), Lachie Fogarty, Josh Honey, Caleb Marchbank, Sam Philp, Lachie Plowman (unrestricted free agent), Jack Silvagni (unrestricted free agent).

The Blues confirmed on Tuesday that Mitch McGovern had signed a two-year deal; reward for his most productive season in some time. The deal includes a trigger for a potential third season. Cuningham, another player who has struggled with injury, is also set to stay after a resurgence in the second half of the year. There is uncertainty on what Dow will do, with St Kilda showing interest in the lightly played 2017 first-round pick. Silvagni and Marchbank are the other standout names, with no decision on their future yet. Plowman turns 29 in September and has fallen out of favour – playing just once this season – and could be in a competition with Durdin for one spot. Fogarty is expected to score another contract after impressing in the past two months. Philp is another injury-cursed Blue, but is at least back playing in the VFL.

I think this year's list management is going to be a bit boring.
Here is what I think will happen.
McGovern just signed for 2 years.
JSOS to sign on for 2 years. Fisher stays.
Cuningham, Marchbank, Fogarty and Dow sign 1 year deals.
Curnow retires, Honey, Plowman, Durdin and Philip all delisted.
Our late picks to be traded for future picks.
Draft DeMattia or Moir with our 1st about pick 20.
Upgrade Cottrell and Boyd to the main list.
Add the two Irish boys (I think only one can be a cat B rookie and the other takes a rookie spot)
With our last rookie spot l think we will leave it open for an SSP or mid season draft or pick up either Cahill or a tall defender.

Alex Rance - pick 18
Spent most of his first season playing VFL 2nds.
But you’re right, there isn’t a lot. But it’s always a tough category to select a broken/cheap/potentially worth a punt kpd player.
The formula over the last few years has been forwards that aren’t good enough.
Tom Fullarton?

On a side note, would love to try and get Phil Davis as an assistant coach next year.

Noah Balta pick #25 spent his first year in the VFL also, managed only 13 AFL games in his 2nd year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back