Doc Young Saad

Pitto Cerra Walsh
Acres Cripps Cotts

Boyd Harry Martin
Owies Charlie TDK

Kemp, Cuners, Cincotta, Kennedy

Boyd - Better user, benefits our scoring/inside 50s

Doc - To the backline again, but needs to stop blazing

Kemp - Don't want him in the side as a defender, too loose and costly, just doesn't have the IQ when to hold, peel or handover. But, strong hands and would be dangerous forward.

Cincotta - Really lucky to retain a spot, lost Merrett early in the 3rd and it really hurt us

Binns unlucky, toss up between he and Cotts
This place has been a bin fire the past week or so. Sanity returns.

Silvagni Height 1.91

Last Month Ruckmen Height
Draper 2.05
Gawn 2.08
McAndrew 2.1
Cox 2.11

Silvagni's participation in ruck work over the last couple of years is evidently a direct result of our deficiencies in list management.
I disagree. I think he’s been sacrificed in the ruck before others who could fill the role - like Young and McKay - because he’s never really been effective in any role.

This isn't correct.

Off the top of my head they all played rd 1 2019;
You may be right regarding not their first game together, but given that they are deemed best 22, in fact most would suggest best 18, it is a very sad and disappointing fact that we can count in the very low single digits how often this has occurred!!!!

This team has totally lost me and destroyed any faith I have in them being able to play a decent half of footy let alone 4 quarters of team oriented, committed and 'hard at it' football, therefore I am expecting a comfortable victory for the Gold Coast.

We may not lose by much but we will not dominate for long enough to get the points and as per usual the opposition will keep us at arms reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. I think he’s been sacrificed in the ruck before others who could fill the role - like Young and McKay - because he’s never really been effective in any role.

Both those players (like most of our list) have been just as ineffective in their roles as JSOS this year. Young was laughable in the small amount of time in the ruck position and I am sure Mckay would not go much better.

The problem and responsibility is on recruitment. Ever since Casboult left, we have been short a Ruckman. JSOS is not a superstar; but he is good value for what he provides when in form and in position. Done a great job on Fyfe and is certainly one of the better players on the peripheral of our list. IMO

I would like to hear angry_madge's views on the Jack Silvagni conundrum :)

When we play two rucks plus JSOS we look unbalanced and lose mobility up forward.
When we play one ruck plus JSOS we get crucified in the centre bounce taps and our mids struggle.
Sadly I don't think JSOS fits in this team going forward as the Pitto + TDK combo seems to offer us more.

Cunners has to be in this week. Dow has to hold his spot. Binns might be the unlucky one as I think Kennedy and Cincotta get the final two bench spots.
But when TDK plays in the forward line when resting he destroys our attack by going for the same ball as Harry and Charlie and spoils them without taking a mark

Gameplan later/in another thread, for now, just this game

As per preseason, I would shuffle some players

Gov Weitering Newman
Doc Young Saad

Pitto Cerra Walsh
Acres Cripps Cotts

Boyd Harry Martin
Owies Charlie TDK

Kemp, Cuners, Cincotta, Kennedy

Boyd - Better user, benefits our scoring/inside 50s

Doc - To the backline again, but needs to stop blazing

Kemp - Don't want him in the side as a defender, too loose and costly, just doesn't have the IQ when to hold, peel or handover. But, strong hands and would be dangerous forward.

Cincotta - Really lucky to retain a spot, lost Merrett early in the 3rd and it really hurt us

Binns unlucky, toss up between he and Cotts
Do you watch the games, Kemp too loose. Young let Peter wright take 5 uncontested marks in the forward line.

Concetta one of the only plays that try’s to create run out of the back line.

Just on the ruck stats, what it doesn’t take into account is the opponent, more specifically if they’re the #1 or relief ruck.

Jack, and Tom to a lesser degree as he’s played a few as the primary ruck with Jack in support, have their numbers pumped up a little as they’re usually not competing against the #1 ruck, while Pitto is rarely facing the backup.

Jack can do ok post-hitout if it hits the deck and it’s all a bit of a mess as he can follow up as a quasi-mid. But we also saw what happened against Collingwood when that’s not the case and the ball exits the centre square fast, resulting in a barrage of repeated goals.

As mentioned by someone else, it’d be great to see a stat on ‘hitouts to advantage conceded’ or similar, to get a better idea of how much they thwart an opponent.

I'm not defending Jack's ruck stats in any way. He's not a ruckman. He's not even an undersized ruckman. He gets the job because the likes of Harry McKay who is ruck sized, is considered too precious to play there. He's effectively Shaun Grigg.

Both those players (like most of our list) have been just as ineffective in their roles as JSOS this year. Young was laughable in the small amount of time in the ruck position and I am sure Mckay would not go much better.

The problem and responsibility is on recruitment. Ever since Casboult left, we have been short a Ruckman. JSOS is not a superstar; but he is good value for what he provides when in form and in position. Done a great job on Fyfe and is certainly one of the better players on the peripheral of our list. IMO
Sorry, Casboult was primarily a ruckman? Could have fooled me … and JSOS played on Fyfe in 2019 before we decided we needed a real midfield to support Cripps.

Selectors can't win. We cry all year that we're slow...they inject some speed and then people whinge because sos is dropped...baffling

This is quite misleading.

Has anybody suggested that Silvagni should be played instead of any of the injected speed selections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back