Preview 2023 Rd 21 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday August 6 3:20PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in …

2 changes

IN: Fisher
OUT: Cerra (hamstring), McGovern (hamstring)

After starting last weekend as sub, Paddy Dow has been elevated into the starting side.

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaCaleb MarchbankAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam DochertyPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinCharlie CurnowZac Fisher
Forwards:Jesse MotlopMarc PittonetMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettPaddy Dow
Interchange:Blake AcresMatthew CottrellDavid Cuningham
Lachie Fogarty
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsEd CurnowSam Durdin
Josh Honey

Yeah it does, who’s named where indicates how the roles are set & jobs given.
I want him named and played as a prime mid - not a role player.
The difference being positional set up & the amount of clearances attended.
Named as prime you’re at the coal face & the role players work around u. Want him to have the support & be told to “go to work”. Pressure is already on- might as well give him every chance & create drive for us.
Let’s be really really clear on this - Fog has been a great defensive forward for us but is no where near Dow as a mid, Doc is an amazing player, heart and soul of the club but he ain’t a clearance mid!
Kinda why he hasn’t been played in that position while we’ve been winning!
Defensive pressure & playing your role is all good and well but u need to get the ball first!
More clearance u win & the more u get it in your forward half, the more u score & creates a better position to defend & apply pressure from.
St Kilda aren’t to be taken lightly and the way the Hawks got to them was thru clearance and quick movement
My point is that defenders have been named forward on team sheets and not seen a second inside forward 50.

Will be embarrassing for the saints if we roll them with our reserves side

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate we’re St Kilda, nothing embarrasses us anymore we’ve copped it too often for it to affect us now. Nearly lost to North and Wet Toast and we’ve set alight a dwarf.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pies were full strength

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes but they looked tattered , sore after the Port clash.
Hoskins -Elliot was underdone, and still reckon Hill, Johnson and pesky Jack Ginnivan when they decide to play him are the magic, they’re a much better team.
Baggers played some great footy, thoroughly deserved a fantastic win.

From memory we failed to move the ball with any urgency the last 2 times we've played these guys.

Slow ball movement, borderline circle work.

Will he different Sunday.

We'll win.

Can’t think of a worse tactic than slow ball movement and chipping 15 meters against a team that stacks the defense.

Just need to do what we’ve been doing the last 6 weeks; get it and move it on with speed. Cotters, Hollands and Acres will cover the ground on transition and link up play, but we need to be clinical going forward and if we win, Cunners and Martin will most likely have had big games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hewett. Cripps, Doc and Dow are the keys to this game. Win the contested ball and clearances and we win.
Fisher and Fogarty to also maybe get a run through the middle this week as rotations.
Can't see us going extra tall in the back half this week, so Fisher, Dow, Cottrell and Mots on the bench. Ed probably sub.

Yeah it does, who’s named where indicates how the roles are set & jobs given.
I want him named and played as a prime mid - not a role player.
The difference being positional set up & the amount of clearances attended.
Named as prime you’re at the coal face & the role players work around u. Want him to have the support & be told to “go to work”. Pressure is already on- might as well give him every chance & create drive for us.
Let’s be really really clear on this - Fog has been a great defensive forward for us but is no where near Dow as a mid, Doc is an amazing player, heart and soul of the club but he ain’t a clearance mid!
Kinda why he hasn’t been played in that position while we’ve been winning!
Defensive pressure & playing your role is all good and well but u need to get the ball first!
More clearance u win & the more u get it in your forward half, the more u score & creates a better position to defend & apply pressure from.
St Kilda aren’t to be taken lightly and the way the Hawks got to them was thru clearance and quick movement

Relax mate - you sound like Veruca Salt from the Willy Wonka movie who spat it when she didn’t get her way - Voss has already said he’s playing.

I reckon the mood around Dow at the club has changed a lot of late. It seems like they trust him now. I’m confident he can come on and play an important role this weekend.

I know we've been winning even with injuries, but seriously the amount of injuries we've copped over the last 4 weeks is a joke.

Can we beat Saints anyway? Sure. But it would almost be guaranteed if we had somewhere close to a full strength team based on form.

So much on the line...win and we only need to win 1 of our last 3 games which we'd feel confident of doing. Lose and we need to find 2 wins out of 3 games with a lengthy injury list.

Yet we lost last time we played them despite us being almost at full strength and they had players out. Then last week we beat a full strength Collingwood without Walsh, Harry, Kennedy and SOS. Even with the additional out this week there’s more than enough good players in the team for us to win.

Yes the injuries are disappointing but we are playing team football which is more important than any individual. If we bring the team orientated game we have the past couple months then we’ll be fine on Sunday. I’m looking forward to it as it’ll be a good test of our recent good form.

Danger game
Certainly is a danger game for the saints.

Higher on the ladder.
Full strength squad.

A injury ravaged but surging blues. Don't write off the underdog blues yet thought.

Wouldn't want to drop this game the saints. Lot of pressure on the saints here.

This is the game that decides for me personally.

Two theories...
Theory 1: We hit rock bottom and then put together some free wins vs bruise free teams in GC, Hawks and Freo. Aligning beautifully was Port who saved themselves for the Pies allowing us to stomp them and then WCE a free hit to any club. We got Pies just after a tough road game vs Port. Set us up nicely. Theory 1 includes the fact that we have changed and are much better but we have just caught a beautiful wave and dont get ahead of ourselves with specifically the Port/Pies games too much. Yes, let the lid off but keep hold of that lid just in case calamity strikes.

Theory 2: Get stuffed theory 1 you negative nitpicker; we have just earnt these wins and don't sugar coat any of them as there is no soft wins in the AFL and Port/Pies were full strength. Theory 1 is clueless nitpicker and doesn't see our significant improvements in transition, player mentality and all round awesomeness and gameplan if im allowed to say such a thing. That is why this weekend we will beat the saints because despite losing some useful players, it is 1) our style of play that counts, and 2) the fact that saints suck is why we win this very important game.

I've bought the popcorn. We are favourites in the media, we have pressure on us but we also have a new way of playing compared to the early rounds.

Can we deal with the pressure, lift off the lid on 2023, and get the party started! No excuses and no one mention injuries. The saints are just going right now and we have better players in despite our outs.

Carlton - it is time to put to bed the false dawns! This is the one.

I know we've been winning even with injuries, but seriously the amount of injuries we've copped over the last 4 weeks is a joke.

Can we beat Saints anyway? Sure. But it would almost be guaranteed if we had somewhere close to a full strength team based on form.

One could argue the change in form is partly a product of the injuries…

Players that previously wouldn’t have got a look in, have come in hungry, played their roles and flourished…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back