Preview 2023 Rd 24 Carlton vs GWS Sunday August 27 6:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in ...

IN: Cerra, Fogarty, McGovern, Walsh, C. Durdin
OUT: Cripps (soreness), Docherty (soreness), E.Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, Motlop (illness)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresSam WalshOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Corey Durdin
Emergencies:Ed CurnowMarc PittonetCaleb Marchbank

*Update 26th August

Last edited:
Does anyone subscribe to the fact we ‘need’ to have played finals before in order to impact.I personally don’t as some of the games and teams we’ve played over the 6 weeks have been finals like.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely agree.

Essentially every game since round 14 has been an elimination final for us.

We’re more ready than most.

you don’t flirt with your captains broken ribs either. Especially when he’s two weeks away from playing in his first ever finals series.

Rest him. An Elimination Final is so much more important than the dead rubber on Sunday.
We might be fighting for 5th. Not a dead rubber yet is it?

Does anyone subscribe to the fact we ‘need’ to have played finals before in order to impact.I personally don’t as some of the games and teams we’ve played over the 6 weeks have been finals like.

In some circumstances I think it’s good to have finals experience.
However, we effectively played two elimination finals at the end of last year against Melbourne and Collingwood. We’ve played them again in the second half of this year. Big crowds, finals on the line.
I’d also argue the difference between first and eighth is less than previous years.
And our defensive structures will stack up finals.
Enormous opportunity in my view.

Depends on the group. Some need to learn the 'finals' style. Some don't,more common to need to learn

I don’t think u “need” to have played, but playing under that pressure previously sure as hell helps.
Pressure does funny things, some people thrive & want the ball, others try to hard & make mistakes.
Finals is a step up regardless how hard/contested the previous games have been.
It’s going to be great to watch, I look at Crippa & most of me thinks he will go “hulk smash” & play an absolutely devastating game- a very small part is thinking “will he try to hard & try to do too much & not be at his full potential.
What I’m certain about is that Newman, Weiters will thrive under the extra burden & are both leaders who will help those around them to produce.
Charlie will want & demand the ball & Martin/Acres/Dow have all performed of late when the chips were down & found the ball when we really need it - intense pressure actually produces there best footy.
I’m very confident that we have the leaders & strength of character across the lines to handle the pressure, regardless of previous finals experience.

The Cripps conversation is an interesting one. However, I have faith that if he runs out at 6.00pm Sunday then he is cherry ripe. Hoping that it is a dead rubber and he can just sit this one out, if he needs to.

Looking forward to seeing McGov, adding an extra dimension to our defence. His 50 metre darts set up so many forays forward.

The additions of Walsh and Cerra make our midfield so much more dynamic and whether our captain plays or not. Dow now has my total confidence to do a good job.

As for Harry, could not believe that he actually copped criticism for his first game back last weekend. He did alright, made life easier for Charlie and covered a lot of ground. He will be better for the run and I expect him to kick a few on Sunday.

Love the way Vossy has handled himself this season. No matter whether we have to win this for our own benefit or whether it is a dead rubber.
Vossys message will be keep up the intensity, leave nothing in the tank. He played like it, now he coaches like it. I love it.

The Brownlow would be the furthest thing from my mind at the moment and I'm sure that the same would be true for Cripps, he's hunting the big prize... a premiership. If he needs to miss a game to be 100% ready for the finals then, so be it.
Merely pointing out the irony mate.

If he's not fit to play he wouldn't be named as far as I am concerned.
And I reckon he would be keen to keep it rollin purely for the teams interest of course.

Crippa will want to play if we leave blokes out and we get belted by GWS it’s just giving them a lot of confidence if we play them following game
Don’t give a sucker an even break

If we play our full strength side and a handful of blokes are cooked, and then lose...I reckon it gives the oppo more confidence than if they'd had a training run against half our reserves ;)

Still, I'm against mass resting. Just identify a couple of key blokes who are carrying those little niggles, the kind that a 2-3 week break will pretty much clear up, and tell them they're sitting out.

Cripps is the obvious one. I'd give genuine consideration to Charlie as well if Tex kicks less than 8 goals. Those are two guys who play very physical games, and if they play they will be going 110% even if they've been told to take it a bit easy.

It has additional benefits. Makes us more Harry-centric up forward, which could be a good way to get the ball to him a bit more and help him regain his touch. It gives Dow another opportunity to show his wares in the guts, which may assist with convincing him to re-sign, or if not will likely help with his upwards value trajectory should he request a trade. And it likely moves Hewett to a more inside role, feeding the ball out to Cerra and Walsh who will likely benefit from getting as much of the pill as possible.

If Crippa and Charlie are physically and mentally good to go, leave them in by all means. But if they're a bit banged up (and there's little doubt Cripps is, and Charlie would likely be after the last month), make the change. Next man up is the philosophy, it's worked for the last 9 weeks.

If we play our full strength side and a handful of blokes are cooked, and then lose...I reckon it gives the oppo more confidence than if they'd had a training run against half our reserves ;)

Still, I'm against mass resting. Just identify a couple of key blokes who are carrying those little niggles, the kind that a 2-3 week break will pretty much clear up, and tell them they're sitting out.

Cripps is the obvious one. I'd give genuine consideration to Charlie as well if Tex kicks less than 8 goals. Those are two guys who play very physical games, and if they play they will be going 110% even if they've been told to take it a bit easy.

It has additional benefits. Makes us more Harry-centric up forward, which could be a good way to get the ball to him a bit more and help him regain his touch. It gives Dow another opportunity to show his wares in the guts, which may assist with convincing him to re-sign, or if not will likely help with his upwards value trajectory should he request a trade. And it likely moves Hewett to a more inside role, feeding the ball out to Cerra and Walsh who will likely benefit from getting as much of the pill as possible.

If Crippa and Charlie are physically and mentally good to go, leave them in by all means. But if they're a bit banged up (and there's little doubt Cripps is, and Charlie would likely be after the last month), make the change. Next man up is the philosophy, it's worked for the last 9 weeks.
Good post Ballsey, however for me Charlie and his last month of sensational footy does not seem to have taken any real toll. He seems to be thriving on smashing his opponents and proving that he is now the best player in the AFL. You could be right, maybe he could do with a rest. Just my thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might be fighting for 5th. Not a dead rubber yet is it?
Nope defo not a dead rubber, can stay at 5th, can finish as low as 7th meaning an away final potentially against Swans week 1. Would need StK and Sydney to win by a bit and us loose. So 7th would be a left tail risk that would be unlikely but possible.
Finishing 5th is the best outcome as this will mean home final week 1 and preclude us from an interstate trip week 2 (Not getting ahead of things!) So a win would be optimal without stating the blindingly obvious.

I was going by the team announcement on the Carlton website.

Don't know why you're going by 7 rather than the club's announcement.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which was on the Club's website & social media accounts after 7's announcement.
There is an embargo until 6.20pm for Clubs to announce squads/teams. Has been like that for many many years.

7 reported before the Club's announcement (as they usually do around 6.15pm) and I wasn't the only one that posted CH7's ins & outs for our game.

Club releases the squad/team at 6.20/6.21pm and I posted it immediately (stickied) which you have missed.

You quoted me nearly 1hr later.

Cripps definitely needs a break. I don't see how playing him with all that padding strapped around his chest with him clearly not able to perform is going to help us win anyway.

Cerra, Walsh, Hewett, Dow is a pretty good midfield mix.

Not sure if Cunners will get another chance or if Fog comes straight back in too.

Will they replace Marchbank or Cincotta with Gov?

Crippa won't play

Thought so, if any player needed a freshen up prior to finals it’s the skipper!

Carried the club for years and will be absolutely in Hulk mode for finals!

Also imagine the team mindset if we get passed GWS without Crippa and Doc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back