VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Id hoped Sinkers and Taylor would stick around in playing and development roles. Most of the Ressies have a couple of top up players with AFL experience.

I have no idea how our Budget for top up players is going. I would be amazed if we were spending as much as others. As it stands I reckon only Shipley looks like he could’ve been an AFL player.

With such a young list I would favour an old fashioned captain coach.

I am aware Nic Newman has been getting his coaching tickets. Apparently* he has taken up some responsibilities in the Blues AFLW area. He will retire/be delisted next year. A recent AFL player with coaching ambitions like Nic would be ideal as a captain coach.
Nic left because of Horse

Up until this year, I was frustrated by the presence of “list cloggers” like Bell, Sam Gray, Taylor and Thurlow.

In hindsight, however, you probably need a few.
Problem I see that with that is would for example Bell & Taylor be getting midfield minutes instead of Corey Warner, would Sinclair's retention mean less McAndrew & Owen in the ruck?

The only guy who I would have retained was Clarke who was generally the midfield marshall prior to moving up to the firsts.
Happy he is still on our list.

The other issue is that someone like Bell can get better money in the SANFL and probably better off-field opportunities and would likely only have stayed if we game him a list spot.

Overall I'm happy with our list strategy. I just don't think you can generally have experienced players on your snr/rookie list who are unlikely to push for senior selection.
Injuries have hurt our reserves with the knock on effect.
The 3 Macs, Ladhams, Mills etc play in our firsts, other players drop back to the reserves and consequently the structure, the experience in the seconds is significantly improved and hopefully the performance/results improve.

I think there's a big difference between a tackle and an effective tackle.
Sure, but in terms of how many times a game he tackles an opposition player he does it more than any forward not named Heeney. If his defensive work is letting us down there are four other forwards letting us down more.

Sure, but in terms of how many times a game he tackles an opposition player he does it more than any forward not named Heeney. If his defensive work is letting us down there are four other forwards letting us down more.
I agree with that.

I've called for Wicks & Clarke to be dropped for the same thing as well, and I've called out Papley's lack of defensive efforts previously, though he obviously offers more than the others in an attacking sense. If it seems like I'm dumping only on Hayward, it's because he's the one yet to be held accountable for it, in my opinion.

REVIEW: Smithy's VFL Round 13

Sydney’s top level stood up, with Dylan Stephens (31 disposals, seven clearances, seven entries), Ryan Clarke (27 disposals, five clearances), Lachlan McAndrew (48 hitouts) and Corey Warner (21 disposals) putting the pressure on the AFL selectors.

Mid-season draftee Harry Arnold had 18 disposals, six marks and five rebounds against the team he was plucked from two weeks ago, while Jaiden Magor (21 disposals, seven marks, seven rebounds) and Caleb Mitchell (24 disposals) tried hard as their side’s inexperience was brutally exposed.

The next month has us up against sides outside the 8. Getting a few players back into the senior team will flow down. Unfortunately Wicks got himself suspended instead of dropped, and the likes of Rankin, Endemann might be out for a bit (it never ends).

Not expecting us to win any of them, but should be better showings. Scheduling also hurts this week as we'll have to hold over a couple as sub, late in.

The next month has us up against sides outside the 8. Getting a few players back into the senior team will flow down. Unfortunately Wicks got himself suspended instead of dropped, and the likes of Rankin, Endemann might be out for a bit (it never ends).

Not expecting us to win any of them, but should be better showings. Scheduling also hurts this week as we'll have to hold over a couple as sub, late in.
Rankin might still be able to play this week.

As an outsider looking in (appreciate the conversation earlier following the commentary side of things) .. the Swans Academy should be the life-blood of the VFL team; and will be a key to who the club picks up when it goes to the draft.

I've only been in Queensland since 2019 and around the VFL space since 2021; but most of the Suns and Lions players that have been picked up through various outlets (Rookie and pre-season selections) have come from the Academy program; which means most of the guys running around in the VFL have come through the Academy and additionally; the Senior listed guys have come through State League, Academy and then VFL.

Shadeau Brain kicked four goals for the Lions on the weekend and he was selected after the '22 draft on the back of an outstanding 22 season in the VFL after coming through the Academy program.

Gold Coast is loaded with them.

I'm in talk with a few mates who know the VFL program really well; we're of the belief now that clubs will start to bypass selecting players through the National Under 18s competition and will start to look at guys that come through that system, don't get picked up, go straight to the VFL, perform against Senior bodied players and have added exposure around the AFL system and then get picked up.. and it might take a few years of that development process from Academy to VFL but when they do come in; they're ready to go.

There were two debutants on the weekend that have come through the Academy with lots of potential and a few years in the VFL system might very well see them develop, get stronger and set themselves up for a Rookie, Category B or mid-season selection. The list you have at present is young but there is so much upside for the top grade by having exposure to those kids.

As an outsider looking in (appreciate the conversation earlier following the commentary side of things) .. the Swans Academy should be the life-blood of the VFL team; and will be a key to who the club picks up when it goes to the draft.

I've only been in Queensland since 2019 and around the VFL space since 2021; but most of the Suns and Lions players that have been picked up through various outlets (Rookie and pre-season selections) have come from the Academy program; which means most of the guys running around in the VFL have come through the Academy and additionally; the Senior listed guys have come through State League, Academy and then VFL.

Shadeau Brain kicked four goals for the Lions on the weekend and he was selected after the '22 draft on the back of an outstanding 22 season in the VFL after coming through the Academy program.

Gold Coast is loaded with them.

I'm in talk with a few mates who know the VFL program really well; we're of the belief now that clubs will start to bypass selecting players through the National Under 18s competition and will start to look at guys that come through that system, don't get picked up, go straight to the VFL, perform against Senior bodied players and have added exposure around the AFL system and then get picked up.. and it might take a few years of that development process from Academy to VFL but when they do come in; they're ready to go.

There were two debutants on the weekend that have come through the Academy with lots of potential and a few years in the VFL system might very well see them develop, get stronger and set themselves up for a Rookie, Category B or mid-season selection. The list you have at present is young but there is so much upside for the top grade by having exposure to those kids.
I had that role in recruiting a few years ago , so many boys miss out and go back to home clubs and then improve and then deserve a chance

Why do the Queensland Academies seem to churn out more talent than in NSW? We have a much bigger population.* Is it because the game is more rooted in Queensland even though Queensland is also a rugby league/union state too?

* Just checked: our population isn't bigger by as much as I thought. Roughly 8 v 5 million. I didn't realise Queensland had so many people these days.

Why do the Queensland Academies seem to churn out more talent than in NSW? We have a much bigger population.* Is it because the game is more rooted in Queensland even though Queensland is also a rugby league/union state too?

* Just checked: our population isn't bigger by as much as I thought. Roughly 8 v 5 million. I didn't realise Queensland had so many people these days.
As a Victorian who moved to Queensland a little over 12 months ago, my observation is that AFL is more popular overall in Queensland than NSW. It's on the news and on the radio, everyone knows who the Suns and Lions are, even if they don't know the players and its just generally more supported than in NSW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cadsky hit the nail on the head here with the exposure of the game being so much greater than NSW. Additionally, a big wave of Victorians have moved up to South East Queensland over the past decade; Victorians who grew up loving AFL, and naturally, bringing that love to the Queensland region; working hard behind the scenes, even at local club level to produce a greater culture and a more proactive club environment that engages with the community that makes it a more attractive destination for people wanting to be involved in the community and in sport.

Being one of those Victorians; I found it so much easier to get involved in the State system and because I have a strong passion for the game, it has made it easier to promote the game through key channels and inspire interest in the standard of the game around the country where a number of mates down south have taken the bait, moved up and been involved in the game..

Queensland at present is one of the, if not the fastest growing State for new participation in AFL over the past five years.. especially with COVID.

COVID did AFL a favour in Queensland, not just for having a major hub for AFL clubs up here (it did help); but play was only suspended for a brief time and for a long while; the State league competition was the main source of AFL viewing for much of the country, external to the AFL.. the main AFL states couldn't attend or be involved in VFL and local footy; so more eyes were on the Queensland product and that stimulated a high growth of engagement and participation during and following COVID.

While I can’t vouch for the accuracy of this, as someone who grew up in Sydney in the 80s I was told by qldrrs that they regularly beat nsw in afl back then at state carnivals.

on the other hand western Sydney has been the heartbeat of association football (soccer) since before then. Marconi, Apia Leichhardt Sydney Croatia Sydney Olympic etc were much bigger in nsw than the equivalent communities in qld.

even now afl in Sydney is really confined or perhaps dominated by what was once the rugby heartland of the eastern suburbs and north shore. I’m sure afl is growing in the west but the strength is still that hills north shore and eastern suburbs grouping

Rankin has been named :) but no Vickery

Collingwood v Sydney Swans
Saturday, June 24 - 10:05am
AIA Centre

3. Dylan Stephens
4. Ryan Clarke
17. Will Gould
28. Will Edwards
30. Tom McCartin
32. Jaiden Magor
35. Caleb Mitchell
37. Corey Warner
38. Harrison Arnold
40. Cameron Owen
41. Lachlan Rankin
42. Robbie Fox
45. Hugo Hall-Kahan
46. Lachlan McAndrew
47. Jack Buller
52. Nick Shipley
53. Jake Bartholomaeus
55. Harry Morrison
58. Tom Longmire
62. Christian Webster
63. James Tidemann
66. Oliver Davis
68. Riley Fitzroy

EMERGENCY

60. Monty Velthuis
61. Max Geddes
64. Hamish Morrison
65. Ethan Grace

Rankin has been named :) but no Vickery

Collingwood v Sydney Swans
Saturday, June 24 - 10:05am
AIA Centre

3. Dylan Stephens
4. Ryan Clarke
17. Will Gould
28. Will Edwards
30. Tom McCartin
32. Jaiden Magor
35. Caleb Mitchell
37. Corey Warner
38. Harrison Arnold
40. Cameron Owen
41. Lachlan Rankin
42. Robbie Fox
45. Hugo Hall-Kahan
46. Lachlan McAndrew
47. Jack Buller
52. Nick Shipley
53. Jake Bartholomaeus
55. Harry Morrison
58. Tom Longmire
62. Christian Webster
63. James Tidemann
66. Oliver Davis
68. Riley Fitzroy

EMERGENCY

60. Monty Velthuis
61. Max Geddes
64. Hamish Morrison
65. Ethan Grace

Didn't realise it was in Vic, would expect Clarke and Fox to withdraw, as surely they stayed in Sydney.

That'd have to be close to the best line-up we've had all year with the ins, plus Shipley returning.

Hoping McCartin goes well and most importantly gets through unscathed.

Fox I'm assuming will be sub but if not I hope he plays in the mids, will be a massive boost to our midfield which is average.

And yay Rankin!!

That'd have to be close to the best line-up we've had all year with the ins, plus Shipley returning.

Fox I'm assuming will be sub but if not I hope he plays in the mids, will be a massive boost to our midfield which is average.

And yay Rankin!!
You'd have to think we'll keep Clarke and Fox in Sydney though. One as sub, one for any late out. Potentially the sub and Buller though.

And yay Rankin!!
Our midfield is average?

I’d hate to see below average.

No Konstanty is a bit of a worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back