List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If nick robertsen was so good why did no club throw him a lifeline of a rookie spot? Remembering as well that he was delisted before Covid when clubs has more lost spots to go around. As a total aside it’s a good thing nick was delisted prior to Covid because he sure had some ‘interesting’ opinions about it.

I can think of at least 10-15 games better than that one from Bez.

He made two bad mistakes on gf day, but also set up Charlie’s goal to put us ahead by spinning out of traffic and sending it deep inside 50.
Robertson wasn’t so good, he was especially lacking in skills, but he could do a defensive role quite well. I remember a day where he got destroyed by Tippa as well (maybe 3-4 goals in a quarter).

It’s just a point that a lot of posters point out Berry’s great defensive half on Oliver last year, without mentioning how he’s gone most other weeks (especially over the last 2 seasons).

Like you, I don't know a lot about him, other than his stats. He looks good on paper, but I'm sure there's some weaknesses there as well, otherwise he'd be a permanent at AFL level. Some players just have to find the right club for their talent.
True, but Crows do have a few similar types. Surprised Crouch re-signed with them for that reason.

Like you, I don't know a lot about him, other than his stats. He looks good on paper, but I'm sure there's some weaknesses there as well, otherwise he'd be a permanent at AFL level. Some players just have to find the right club for their talent.

Hes tall but not he’s not an inside mid

Players delisted are usually just not good enough

Robertson wasn’t so good, he was especially lacking in skills, but he could do a defensive role quite well. I remember a day where he got destroyed by Tippa as well (maybe 3-4 goals in a quarter).

It’s just a point that a lot of posters point out Berry’s great defensive half on Oliver last year, without mentioning how he’s gone most other weeks (especially over the last 2 seasons).

I think its totally fair to point out that the second half of the dees final was an outlier. I'm certainly not relying on it. But he's a serviceable AFL level winger as has been shown on quite a few occasions this year (28 disposals and a goal against freo in perth, 25 against the saints in round 24, our leading possession winner in the prelim to name a few).

My expectations for him have totally decreased in the last few years to the point that I wouldn't be sad if he got a big offer from another club next off-season and we said thanks for your service. But I'll push back on the notion that he isn't a useful member of the team and certainly better than any current alternatives on the list or players who would be available this trade period.

Agree with Berrygood above as well. He is a little bit Kamden McIntosh about him in that he's been a workhorse going up and down the ground and had a few good games.

Which was good enough to help Richmond to two flags (2017 & 2020) .............

I've seen a cpl of names bob up as mid depth should the club look at it. Jackson Hately and Riley Bonner. I brought up Jack Bytel earlier in the thread. Bonner (11) and Bytel (6) both got games this season. Hately probably has the better pedigree. Slight preference for Bonner at the moment for me. Listed as a mid but has spent time in the backs. Offers a bit of versatility and we know how Fages likes that in a player.

Last edited:
Below the new rates if you are drafted in 2023. Will only show Senior match payments for 2023/25 even though it goes to 2027.
Pretty good money for an 18-year-old.

5. 2024 to 2027 Payments for AFL Players Drafted in 2023 to 2026
(a) An AFL Club will pay each First Year Player drafted at the 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026 National Draft Selection Meetings it employs the Base Payments set out in the following table:
1696666682249.png

so you think we will go to the draft with 4 spare spots? or there is another trade and we draft 3?
Possibly run with the minimum senior list if possible, and carry the maximum number of rookies for next season.

I’m pretty sure teams now can draft a minimum of 2 players in the national draft, since the list cuts caused by covid.

I slept on the idea of Riley Bonner and wondered if he has the tank to play on the wing.

I'm expecting Lyons to finish up end of next season and if Matho finds another home or gets delisted we could certainly use some depth going fwd. Bonner, 26yrs old, 190cms, 90 odd Afl games, a mid that can play back and if he has the ability to run on the wing he ticks a lot of boxes. Maturity, versatility and experience. A delisted free agent negates the need to trade, would be an easy pick up in the rookie draft. He's not a player I've taken a great deal of notice of over his journey so I don't know what the knocks on him are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I slept on the idea of Riley Bonner and wondered if he has the tank to play on the wing.

I'm expecting Lyons to finish up end of next season and if Matho finds another home or gets delisted we could certainly use some depth going fwd. Bonner, 26yrs old, 190cms, 90 odd Afl games, a mid that can play back and if he has the ability to run on the wing he ticks a lot of boxes. Maturity, versatility and experience. A delisted free agent negates the need to trade, would be an easy pick up in the rookie draft. He's not a player I've taken a great deal of notice of over his journey so I don't know what the knocks on him are.
If we're looking for a mature body to play wing, I'd rather have Jack Billings. He has his limitations but at least he's good at delivering the ball inside 50.

If we're looking for a mature body to play wing, I'd rather have Jack Billings. He has his limitations but at least he's good at delivering the ball inside 50.
Every list manager, every coach knows for the past two years Jack Billings is on the trade table, for chips. Not a single club is interested. Wonder why? Yet posters persist with what a good recruit he will be. Not just on the Brisbane forum.

Billings has played 11 games in the last 2 years. But he at least played in rounds 17, 19 & 20 but not finals.
He is reportedly on $500k with 2 years remaining on contract. Age 28.
If the Saints want a salary cap dump we may consider him depending on the terms.

Probably so but Billings is still contracted. We would have to trade for him and when we're trying to bank what we can for next year's draft it's counter-productive.
I’m struggling to understand why we are focused on banking points for next year.

I don’t believe accruing points for Levi will be that hard.

And we can only match 1 academy kid in the top 20 if we finish top 4, so it’s not like we will have a Gold Coast like situation.

We will be lucky to get a future 3rd round pick for Fullerton.

Maybe we try and package Fullerton and our current second round pick for Melbourne’s future second round pick.

Our current second round pick will eventually push out to around the mid to late 30’s during the draft. Not an area of the draft I’m particularly enthusiastic about. Can definitely see the key forwards we might be keen on being long gone by our current first selection.

I’m struggling to understand why we are focused on banking points for next year.

I don’t believe accruing points for Levi will be that hard.

And we can only match 1 academy kid in the top 20 if we finish top 4, so it’s not like we will have a Gold Coast like situation.

We will be lucky to get a future 3rd round pick for Fullerton.

Maybe we try and package Fullerton and our current second round pick for Melbourne’s future second round pick.

Our current second round pick will eventually push out to around the mid to late 30’s during the draft. Not an area of the draft I’m particularly enthusiastic about. Can definitely see the key forwards we might be keen on being long gone by our current first selection.

I did not know this. What does it mean for Marshall, we unlikely to match him and Levi then?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I did not know this. What does it mean for Marshall, we unlikely to match him and Levi then?

Levi is Father/Son so not part of that limitation ... if Browny had had quad boys we could, in theory, pick them all up in the one draft ... if we had two top line Academy types we would need to tank down to 5th to take both!

Father Sons don’t have any bid matching restrictions on them.

Academy boys do have bid matching restrictions that I covered in a previous post yesterday.

We can match Levi and Marshall in the first round next year, even if we finish top 4.

If Gillett puts together a good top age year, and comes in to first round contention, we might have to make a decision about which academy kid to match.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back