List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

With the future second gone (34) based on this years ladder for 2024, we have got picks 17, 55, 59, 73. Going to need to find some more picks in there if we are going to be able to match bids on Ashcroft and the academy lads you would think.

Enlighten me how we've improved our list. All of Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton, Dogs and Power have improved their lists. Giants have done less than us, but please do tell how we've upgraded our list this off-season compared to our opponents in and around us?
We really can't access our trade period until after the National Draft, Rookie Draft & Post Draft period.
Then take out the 18-year-olds we select and see what the clubs end result is at that stage.
The club could very well be done with mature aged players but will have to wait and see.

At this stage last year foxsports only rated four clubs with an A.
This was prior to us getting McKenna, Joyce & Brain in the pre-draft. So, the same applies to other clubs.

Geelong A plus, Richmond A, Lions A, Dees A minus & Port A minus.
Cats & Tigers failed badly in 2023. the Lions and Dees basically held their spots and Port moved up the ladder.

You really won't know until halfway through season 2024 with final judgement at the end of 2024.

I said it well before trade period that recent history shows one of the GF doesnt make the the following year, thats NOT something Im making up. Our inactivity in trade period only exarcebates it
Nah generally I’m a bit of a pessimist too mate, but this trade period was shit all round for most teams.

Schultz has turned into the best small forward in the league all of a sudden. Good player granted, but has he ever been close to AA selection to warrant the hype of the last week? Think he was only so hyped because of the lack of quality players moving this year and he was going to the Pies.

Billings, whilst drafted at 3, couldn’t get a game for a Saints team lacking high end class. You have to ask why. And Tommy? Hardly going to move the needle I’d have thought.

Sydney did well in terms of names, but if you’re taking Adams & Grundy on, you’d far prefer to take their 2017/18 version, then what they’ve produced the last couple.

Port, again bought in a few new players, but if we are worried about how we will beat them after bringing in guys like BZT, Esava, Soldo etc well then we probably don’t deserve to be a flag chance anyway.

Giants, as you say did nothing.

Carlton bought in a guy, who again was drafted high but couldn’t get a game for a team not in contention for finals, so I don’t think it’s worth losing sleep over either.

Last edited:
I'm no where near as down as I thought I would be after a GF loss, the first 10-15 minutes after the siren were the worst, by the time we walked back into town and sat down for dinner and the drive to the airport I was pretty good.

Over it completely now and looking forward to 2024.
I watched the GF in a Tokyo pub and erased from memory with help of some interesting establishments for 2 weeks. Got home n watched 10 minutes of final qtr n turned off.

My concern as well. But unfortunately the Lions just don't have the same opportunities such as those clubs to give lucrative "bonuses" outside of the salary cap so we are hamstrung a bit in terms of cap to bring in quality.

It's been done, so I'll get behind Ryan and the way I see it it's not his fault you take the job security any day of the week especially in his position.

This Gunston grub is the person I'm absolutely livid about. Tried to mercenary his way here to get another premiership, it didn't turn out/didn't work hard enough, and crawls back to Hawks with his tail between his legs. What irks me the most is that he allegedly DID NOT inform the club of this desire until a few active trading days left on the calendar. Absolute flog move by this grub and really bent the club over the barrel.

Gunston is hardly a loss and far from bent us over.

Pretty excited to see what Ryan can do for us.

I watched the GF in a Tokyo pub and erased from memory with help of some interesting establishments for 2 weeks. Got home n watched 10 minutes of final qtr n turned off.

How many happy endings, roughly?

I said it well before trade period that recent history shows one of the GF doesnt make the the following year, thats NOT something Im making up. Our inactivity in trade period only exarcebates it

Just had a quick look (so forgive me if I've missed any) but since 2000 only six teams have missed the finals after losing a grand final the previous year and all of them got thumped.

• Melbourne 2001 lost by 60
  • Collingwood 2004 lost by 50
  • Brisbane 2005 lost by 40
  • Port Adelaide 2008 lost by 119 (lol)
  • Adelaide 2018 lost by 48
  • GWS 2020 lost 89

Five teams have managed to make the Grand Final the following year after losing one with three of those teams losing one. Considering no teams have dropped out of the finals the following year after a close lost we'd be bucking the historical trend to be the first to do so. Also a reasonable chance we can make it to another one. Glass half full.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if youre actually melting over this trade period i think you need to take a look at yourself

club said we expected a quiet year on this front after our bumper trade period last season and we still managed to sign doedee, a player who will be fringe AA squad level in his position if he gets a good run at it. over the last 24 months consider members of the best 22 we have brought in: ashcroft, fletcher, mckenna, doedee, dunkley. could also really include wilmot in this category with how he has broken into the team. you will struggle to find any other contending team with additions this good in the same period.

we also managed to re-sign lohmann and robertson, two players many expected us to lose. ryan should prove to be a better option than gunston if he cant get his body right, and fullarton is not really a loss if we are being honest. our squad is only going to get better next year

suggesting melbourne had a better trade period than us because they got a cooked billings or carlton did so because they got someone who looks like a first round bust in hollands is just laughable really. fwiw i think doedee is just as good an acquisition for us as schultz is for collingwood

Massive assumption that we don't have any other injuries come finals time next year if we are good enough to make it.
I think you might find that most of the assumptions have been made by you and size matters, but lets look on the bright side, just think of the points we will be of accumulating for Levi and the Academy boys when we miss the top eight With our squad having a spud
Just had a quick look (so forgive me if I've missed any) but since 2000 only six teams have missed the finals after losing a grand final the previous year and all of them got thumped.

• Melbourne 2001 lost by 60
  • Collingwood 2004 lost by 50
  • Brisbane 2005 lost by 40
  • Port Adelaide 2008 lost by 119 (lol)
  • Adelaide 2018 lost by 48
  • GWS 2020 lost 89

Five teams have managed to make the Grand Final the following year after losing one with three of those teams losing one. Considering no teams have dropped out of the finals the following year after a close lost we'd be bucking the historical trend to be the first to do so. Also a reasonable chance we can make it to another one. Glass half full.
I think most of of those teams we’re also starting a downward trajectory

Jack moved interstate after his Dad died. He had a year he'd like to forget. Maybe getting back to his support network is best for him as a human. Let's have some empathy.

Have empathy, understand how hard grieving is. It sucks. Wish him well in his ongoing management of that process.

I do not like the way he notified our club. He showed complete disrespect, and that is a stain on his character. That he created. I do not believe that grief is a reason for such a late and public decision, that's just shit bloke stuff.

Enlighten me how we've improved our list. All of Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton, Dogs and Power have improved their lists. Giants have done less than us, but please do tell how we've upgraded our list this off-season compared to our opponents in and around us?

Doedee clear improvement. Get Ashcroft and Payne fit and we’re a much better team

Collingwood have Pendles and Steele getting older. I think they would’ve regressed without bringing in players. And they lost midfield depth

Those other clubs mostly brought in very average footballers

But you’re clearly not going to look at this logically so this is pointless

Feels like we over paid for Ryan given the price Hawthorn paid for Chol tbh. Oh well. If we stay injury free we should still be there when the whips are cracking
Given there is no talk of us paying any of Gunston's salary, that we gave a little more in terms of a pick to make that happen

OK, that's the trade period done n dusted. Doedee and Ryan in. Gunston n Fullerton out.

A cpl of spots to fill, Rich n Cockatoo, (Adams replaced by Joyce). We may now see some delistings. Matho likely, maybe B Coleman, Michael, Mcdowel-white. Zorko still not signed I think (he'll get 1 more year I'd say).

Still a lot to happen. How many will we draft, will a cpl of rookie upgrades be part of that? Are we still looking for some depth, another tall maybe, and/or a mid hybrid if Matho is let go? A cpl of dfa's maybe. I still like McLaughlin and Bonner and think both would be a good fit and round us out nicely.

Plenty more to keep us interested, keep us debating. Still some surprises I reckon.

Draft selections at completion of Trade period.

North with 5 first round selections:eek: and Port with a first selection at pick 73🤣 are the highlights.

I wonder if we try to move 30 and 39 up on draft night if a KPF we like is on the board around the early 20s.

None of the clubs ins look all that impressive IMO.

Last edited:
I've only seen Ryan play a couple of times and looked at his highlights like everyone else.

No idea what sort of a player he is or whatever else but he looks likely to my eye.

Just pleased to get Gunners off the books and the constant will he or won't he play when he was clearly cooked .Just a bit unsettling all round.

Draft selections at completion of Trade period.

North with 5 first round selections:eek: and Port with a first selection at pick 73🤣 are the highlights.

I wonder if we try to move 30 and 39 up on draft night if a KPF we like is on the board around the early 20s.

None of the clubs ins look all that impressive IMO.

Can't seem to copy Lore 's latest image of the draft order, Port move up to pick 73 and getting Zac Thatcher in + Bombers getting Duursma are the only moves of any significance from this version I think.
IMG_0050.jpeg IMG_0049.jpeg

OK, that's the trade period done n dusted. Doedee and Ryan in. Gunston n Fullerton out.

A cpl of spots to fill, Rich n Cockatoo, (Adams replaced by Joyce). We may now see some delistings. Matho likely, maybe B Coleman, Michael, Mcdowel-white. Zorko still not signed I think (he'll get 1 more year I'd say).

Still a lot to happen. How many will we draft, will a cpl of rookie upgrades be part of that? Are we still looking for some depth, another tall maybe, and/or a mid hybrid if Matho is let go? A cpl of dfa's maybe. I still like McLaughlin and Bonner and think both would be a good fit and round us out nicely.

Plenty more to keep us interested, keep us debating. Still some surprises I reckon.
What about that chap from the Gold Coast who kicked all those goals in the VFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back