Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're expecting something in GF week. Management has told us it will be sometime before the GF. Perhaps even as later this week.

Like I said don't count chickens though. Dons could still trump us although considering the contracts involved, that's doubtful.

Edit: If they do get him it will be because he chooses them rather than bigger contract. There isn't that much difference in the contracts offered although ours is somewhat better (without knowing exactly what Dons have offered).
If I was McKay, I would be choosing Hawthorn every day of the week. You can see the growth in this team and the future is bright. Essendon on the other hand are a rudderless ship stuck in thick oil going nowhere.

Yep and that’s for the few teams that have two genuine monsters which is pretty rare. For the rest mckay will be another interceptor, and we have the players around him so he doesn’t need to kick too much!

Exactly. Then mckay takes the resting ruck if no other tall.
Just makes the defensive structure better

Ok this is the latest.

It looked like Essendon had him before we offered an extra year.

Sammy is keen cos he’s a free hit & fills a massive void.

It could change again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes. Everyone here is expecting you to have the definitive answer to what McKay is going to do.
But Mackay doesn't know what he is going to do himself! A bit like when his brother is shooting for goal.......

You can’t control the result but good to know that we are really active. Cap space no problem no draft capital fills a need good demographic. Also I think McKay will surprise in a better team. His intercepting is ranked above average / elite and his only below par is metres gained but we don’t need that. Blanck is lockdown he is second Sicily third then I would go small impey Mitchell Hardwick as back 6 with weddle on the bench. That’s pretty solid. Add some forwards and bingo!

Run Running GIF

McKay race heating up again

Yes. Everyone here is expecting you to have the definitive answer to what McKay is going to do.
But Mackay doesn't know what he is going to do himself! A bit like when his brother is shooting for goal.......

30 metres directly in front and he takes the shot from around the corner.

I'm getting a good vibe about Mckay. By all accounts we've been talking to him for a long time. Understandable that there have been competitive offers but if we are in the ballpark then he will be a Hawk next year. I can't see why he would go to Essendon unless they lose their minds and do something seriously crazy.

If we do offer a 5/6 year deal for McKay I’ll actually be impressed because it means we can finally confirm we’ve abandoned the ‘lowball them because Clarko should be enough’ philosophy of recruiting free agents and realised it’s about offering the better deal overall. Amon was the first indication we might finally be doing this right.

Yes, McKay isn’t the next Brian Lake. But it’s a list need, he costs nothing in draft assets and the club wants it done. It means you have to play the game.

If we do offer a 5/6 year deal for McKay I’ll actually be impressed because it means we can finally confirm we’ve abandoned the ‘lowball them because Clarko should be enough’ philosophy of recruiting free agents and realised it’s about offering the better deal overall. Amon was the first indication we might finally be doing this right.

Yes, McKay isn’t the next Brian Lake. But it’s a list need, he costs nothing in draft assets and the club wants it done. It means you have to play the game.
Pretty sure we didn’t pay much for Amon, seeing as Port only got band 3.

It showed the value of not overpaying as we had the money to pick him up while Carlton and St Kilda most likely didn’t have the money to afford him.

The others side of the equation for consideration if Mackay arrives, what happens to the excessive amount of HBF we have? And Frost?

We simply put the excess HBFs in a hydraulic press and hopefully the pressurized carbon materialises into a AFL standard CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im just as much invested in McKay because I’ve gone from talking him up to my Essendon mates, to laughing at what an overpriced spud he’ll be to possibly having to walk that back. In any case, whatever happens will be the greatest thing to happen to us this year.

McKay almost had an All Australian year a few years back. He can play and once de-northed would be the flow on effect of freeing Sicily and co to worry about the intercepts / running off and setting up scoring chains instead of worrying about the talls.

If we can get McKay and get full seasons out of Lewis / Ryan / Blanck then we are a huge chance to play finals in 2024

If I was McKay, I would be choosing Hawthorn every day of the week. You can see the growth in this team and the future is bright. Essendon on the other hand are a rudderless ship stuck in thick oil going nowhere.
Yeah and your western Bulldogs are going great guns at the moment themselves aren't they?

McKay almost had an All Australian year a few years back. He can play and once de-northed would be the flow on effect of freeing Sicily and co to worry about the intercepts / running off and setting up scoring chains instead of worrying about the talls.

If we can get McKay and get full seasons out of Lewis / Ryan / Blanck then we are a huge chance to play finals in 2024
Winning games more consistently should also do wonders for his confidence and motivation.

You can’t control the result but good to know that we are really active. Cap space no problem no draft capital fills a need good demographic. Also I think McKay will surprise in a better team. His intercepting is ranked above average / elite and his only below par is metres gained but we don’t need that. Blanck is lockdown he is second Sicily third then I would go small impey Mitchell Hardwick as back 6 with weddle on the bench. That’s pretty solid. Add some forwards and bingo!

I agree with some of what you said, thought there is one other very average stat he has…spoils.

I don’t hate the idea of adding McKay to our team, but only if Mitchell sees him as more of a second big defender.

Four teams still left in the finals this year all have one thing common, a number one defender who has BOTH elite spoils & elite marking.

If we do get McKay I just hope that it does not mean we stop looking for a truely elite defender in the long term. Committing 5-6 years at 800k plus might mean we accept the search is over.

Will offering a longer McKay contract and more cash bite us in the balls by increasing likelihood of Norf compo first round pick

Happy to be called dumb if I …have been dumb
No matter what the AFL will gift it so that Norf get pick 3 so we may as well get something out of it.

Last edited:
Will offering a longer McKay contract and more cash bite us in the balls by increasing likelihood of Norf compo first round pick

Happy to be called dumb if I …have been dumb
Probably lessens the likelihood as the amount could be more but over longer i.e $700k a year over 6 versus 900k a year over 3.

Plus, TazHawk is probably right, regardless of offer, Norf will get pick 3. I guess in a sense if we sign McKay you could say 'hey we got him and moved down one draft spot'.

If we do get McKay I just hope that it does not mean we stop looking for a truely elite defender in the long term. Committing 5-6 years at 800k plus might mean we accept the search is over.

images (2) (8).jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back