Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the side could use both McKay at FB and Blanck at CHB surrounded by elite flankers.
This makes the Scrimshaw rumour more interesting. Cause you'd have
Hardwick McKay Sicily
Weddle/CJ Blanck Mitchell/impey

I'd still keep Jeka if you traded Scrimshaw.

Every club has players earning big coin that are not playing to that elite level but people on here continually saying we need to save our money for Ben King is like saying it might rain next year.

For me, trading out Brockman and trading in Liam Henry is another very underwhelming trade period as we simply again have not addressed our need for a key position player at either end of the ground .

Frost and Blanck as a duo needs to be upgraded super fast.
Stop being such a catastrophist. Blanck is a better prospect than McKay and we’ve got a few years to find another key back.

We have been paying Chad 750 a year for the past 4 years and previously Jaeger on 800k a year.

Every club has players earning big coin that are not playing to that elite level but people on here continually saying we need to save our money for Ben King is like saying it might rain next year.

For me, trading out Brockman and trading in Liam Henry is another very underwhelming trade period as we simply again have not addressed our need for a key position player at either end of the ground .

we are thirty days out from trade week and so far the best KPPs on the market are McKay and Esava

never too early to start bitching and moaning about Sleepy Mark though

Fact is the footy dept have some question marks over Blanck, and it seems a few here can see why.

That he only has a contract to the end of 2024 is a pretty clear indication of this I’d have thought.
I wouldn't have thought so. Heaps of players get down to their last year of a contract before renewing.
The bloke has also played all bar 2 games from round 9 onwards this year and again he's played extremely well on the #1 key forward as a 22yo

IMO Ben McKay is a better player than Blanck, though the latter is still fairly inexperienced.

Blanck at FB and McKay at CHB would be a solid combination moving forward.

Don’t agree with bolded bit. Hardwick, Nash and Weddle among others only contracted to 2024 also (according to our contracts thread). Is this a clear indication that footy dept has question marks over them too?

Maybe you are right but I wouldn’t call it fact until we have heard it from within the club.

I think he meant he only just signed a year contract , if the club had more faith in him long term it would have been 2/3 years.

It can be both.

Squads win flags, we were kissed on the proverbial this year with injuries.
Regardless of whether Blanck makes it or not, he needs help
This 👍

We have lots of work to do on our KPP stocks in order to improve.

We lack depth in our tall department - and by that I mean talls with size and grunt. I think we need at least 3 more - one at each end and one who can swing between defence and attack.

Our current talls are pretty ordinary as a group

Last edited:
We have been paying Chad 750 a year for the past 4 years and previously Jaeger on 800k a year.

If this is what transpires I worry for our Club.
Many will say we are still on track. How?
We might Draft a KP, perhaps even two if we are lucky. But have we addressed the real problem. As I have said before, just relying on the Draft will slow down the rebuild in my view.

Last edited:
I feel we will miss out on McKay so I’m glad we have Blanck and hope we hold onto Jekka.

Draft O’Sullivan/Murphy and I’m happy.

I don’t get the Blanck talk.

The bloke has played 24 games of AFL in one of the most challenging positions (full back) whilst playing on the oppositions best key forward….all of this coming off 1 AFL pre season. He has the size speed and competitive edge to make it And each game he plays he is showing improvement. Let’s allow him another 50 games and 2 more preseasons before writing him off.

IMO Ben McKay is a better player than Blanck, though the latter is still fairly inexperienced.

Blanck at FB and McKay at CHB would be a solid combination moving forward.
I don’t think anyone considers Blanck to be legit better, the question is McKay on 800k enough of an upgrade to justify paying that when Blanck is currently on probably 400 or less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might Draft a KP, perhaps even two if we are lucky. But have we addressed the real problem. As I have said before, just relying on the Draft will slow down the rebuild in my view.
I have been critical of some moves and frustrated that we have seemingly been unable to get involved in more creative ways to improve the list.

However sometimes you just have limited options, drastically overpaying players just to get moves done is never the answer. The Weddle trade looks brilliant, the MSD has delivered big time, the development internally is going as well as ever.

12 months ago I had concerns over the amount of talent on the list, I think sitting here today we are in a pretty good position. We absolutely need to address the key position stocks but we are still probably 2 years away from genuinely making big strides forward.

What else can the club do?

We could throw pick 3 and a future first at Gold Coast for Ben King to address it. But then everybody would complain about giving up such a high draft pick.

The fact is, in trying to address the list deficiencies, Sam Mitchell and Mark Mackenzie threw huge dollars at Esava goddamn Ratagulea. If the key position players just aren't available this year then it's nothing but unfortunate timing.

We do the best with what we have and move on.

How did the alternative go? The list management decisions that resulted in all the trades over the last 6 years were a disaster. I know everyone gets a hit of dopamine from reading the latest trade rumours, but let’s not kid ourselves our trading in the finals years of Clarko was diabolical.

Let’s stay on track and keep building through the draft.

Don’t agree with bolded bit. Hardwick, Nash and Weddle among others only contracted to 2024 also (according to our contracts thread). Is this a clear indication that footy dept has question marks over them too?

Maybe you are right but I wouldn’t call it fact until we have heard it from within the club.
No! Hardwick is coming to the end of a reasonable lengthy contract. An Weddle is young! Nash has been an improvement but not sure his in our vision of a premiership team.

I don’t think anyone considers Blanck to be legit better, the question is McKay on 800k enough of an upgrade to justify paying that when Blanck is currently on probably 400 or less.

If it's a straight choice between Blanck on 400k and McKay on 800k, then it's the former every day.

I don't think it will come down to it being a choice between the two though. McKay would be brought in to play CHB.

How did the alternative go? The list management decisions that resulted in all the trades over the last 6 years were a disaster. I know everyone gets a hit of dopamine from reading the latest trade rumours, but let’s not kid ourselves our trading in the finals years of Clarko was diabolical.

Let’s stay on track and keep building through the draft.
Exactly!

Our list in not in the position to being able to pay overs in draft capital for one trades in player.

F/A, National draft and MSD is our best friend.

We know Sam and Boxhill can spot untapped talent ….. Newcombe, Blanck, Maric of the recent crop! Let’s back our self in to do this again, only keep it a little quieter if possible so no one pinches our player.

Did any of those players re-sign this year?

FMD.

HFC trade Pick #3 to GCS

GCS trade pick #4 + Mabior Chol to HFC

GCS trade pick 3 + Sharpe + Hollands + Graham to WCE

WCE trade Pick #1 + #54 to GCS

Hawks get KPF whilst dropping only 1 spot.

WCE get 3 x best 22 players and still a high draft pick

GCS get Harley Reid

I think you’re over playing the doom and gloom lately. We’re in the early stages of the rebuild, yes we’ve shown plenty of potential and it would be nice to pick up McKay but it’s really not the end of the world if we miss. He’s not THAT good.

The level of FA or players looking to move this year isn’t strong and we’re competing with teams who are playing finals for those signatures. If we’re in this scenario at the same time next year then I would agree with you that it’s concerning.

Ratugolea and McKay would improve us structurally but that isn’t necessarily taking us to a flag either. We need to nail that draft this year again, we need that x factor player…. Wether it’s Duursma, Watson or even Reid. We’ve got Henry on the hook and we are still a chance for McKay.

Still plenty of things to play out
Deep breathes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back