List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon that means Battle has to go out then. 4 taller defenders looks a bit imbalanced. A few wanted Payne on here. Looks like an astute call.
Yeah Payne was in and out of the side as they had Marcus Adams doing well, then bam, Adams gets injured, Payne gets his go, now I even hear some talk of potential AA this year. I haven't seen much of Brisbane so far this season, is that just a lot of hot air or would he really be in contention?

What sort of offer do you think it would take for WC to give up P1?

They reportedly have turned down 3 1st round picks, similar to what North did for JHF from the Crows.

There is no way that I would trade that for 1 unproven player, no matter how much potential they had. Look at the Crows, they offered 3 1st round picks, which got declined, and then turned them into Rankine, Rachelle and Dawson. That's part of the reason why they are pushing into the 8 this year.

Im sorry Gringo but I completely disagree on your midfield statements.

You keep repeating about ordinary midfields winning flags, but I havent seen ONE in my 50 years of playing, coaching and watching football, it just hasnt happened. Midfields win flags, other zones compete and do well, but it is the dominant midfields (ruckman & wingman included) that win out on the day. Remember Lockett kicking 7-8 goals in a losing GF or Gary Ablett 9 and Brownless 6 and they still lost, WHY because Hawthorn had a dominant midfield.

I reckon it's our inside on ball brigade that is average but have their run and spread as a positive. We don't have an inside bull but Steele and Crouch are super solid and reliable, Gresham is able to play as an inside extractor. The best of Ross is very good, Clark is developing and Hill, Wood and Marshall are all A grade or close to it. We have some youth pushing in and it's more depth that might make us vulnerable to injury.

WCE won in 2018 with Hutchings, Yeo, Marstens, Lycett, Shuey and Reddan. Dom Sheed on the interchange. Pretty blue collar.

Yeo and Shuey were very good but certainly not superstars.

Richmond 2017
McIntosh, Cotchin, Townsend
Nank, Prestia, Grigg and Edwards on the interchange.
Dusty rotating in playing mostly forward.

Pretty blue collar

Swans 2012- Jetta, Keiran Jack, McVeigh, Mumford, Kennedy, Bolton. Hanners on the bench and Parker the sub.

Hanners at his best was a gun and Kennedy was an A grader but the rest were meh apart from a young Parker who would be a gun long term.

They were just the one I could be bothered thinking about. Sydney got to a premiership with a shit midfield last year and Collingwood probably should have with a very limited midfield. Crisp was the only guy to put up decent numbers all year.

Even Geelong played most of the year with a limited set up. There is less focus on the true inside midfield set up this last couple of years. It's become a spread game and played out a lot wider so you need runners.

They reportedly have turned down 3 1st round picks, similar to what North did for JHF from the Crows.

There is no way that I would trade that for 1 unproven player, no matter how much potential they had. Look at the Crows, they offered 3 1st round picks, which got declined, and then turned them into Rankine, Rachelle and Dawson. That's part of the reason why they are pushing into the 8 this year.

If he's as good as they say they would want a top 5 pick as part of it. I think GWS or someone with bulk picks is about the only side that could tempt them into it and might be reckless enough to do it.

I don't even think it's two A graders in the mids. One elite would help and it would push Ross out to depth and then have a couple of developing kids rolling through. some very ordinary midfields have won flags.

I'd love to recruit another running HB that frees Sinclair into the middle. You get your close to elite player on ball but don't lose drive off HBF.

The defence looked amazing early when we were defending the field better. We need others to tighten up further up the field. Expose any defence in today's footy and you are up against it. Howard would need to be replaced with an upgrade and I'm not sure where you get one. McKay is so injury prone and would cost a heap of cap space. That's if North don't match as well and send it to a trade.
I’m leaving Sinclair at halfback. I don’t mind the occasional run in the middle but his ability to release the ball quickly is so important to us coming out of defence. It’s probably easier to find another mid than to replace him at halfback Imo.

If he's as good as they say they would want a top 5 pick as part of it. I think GWS or someone with bulk picks is about the only side that could tempt them into it and might be reckless enough to do it.
If Himmeberg leaves and the get first round compo, they could probably afford to offer 3 picks and still keep a first rounder for themselves.

I’m leaving Sinclair at halfback. I don’t mind the occasional run in the middle but his ability to release the ball quickly is so important to us coming out of defence. It’s probably easier to find another mid than to replace him at halfback Imo.

If Sinclair can consistently kick goals from midfield, it would be hard to maintain the argument he is better at half-back, like I have attempted previously. He managed to better a very good game from HBF from NWM to grab the BOG votes on Sunday afternoon.

I don’t believe that (not a shot at you), you’d have to think there’s more pain to come and someone of Reid’s ilk would be enticed out within 2 years anyway.

Eagles need to grab early picks and grab WA talent, or at least spread the risk over multiple picks.

Last edited:
Obviously we are not going to agree Gringo, but go back and have a look at the game day stats of the GF teams you mentioned. Regardless of the reputation of the midfield players or group the winning teams midfields all dominated on the day eg Shuey 34 disposals Norm Smith and WCE midfield kicked 5 goals between them in a low scoring game. On it goes....

To state Martin played forward at that time is simply not correct - in those days he rested forward. He did dominate in his stints forward, but he played more minutes in the midfield. You can attempt to twist the narrative but the stats simply dont support what you are suggesting.

Winning Grand Final teams have dominant midfields, Brisbane, Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn, WCE all with players who can go to another level on the big stage. How many of them do we presently have?

For me it makes sense for WC to trade the pick. Their problems right now would appear to run far deeper than what could be offset by anything Harley could provide. I reckon footymaster above is on the money with a good example in Adelaide. And just recently even the JHF debacle at norff is another to a lesser extent. Sheezel and Wardlaw already, and from memory Port's first round pick this year still to come.

In fact maybe norf could be a player in the chase for Harley. This year they'll get pick 2 or 3, plus I think they already have ports first round pick, mix that with next year's first and they're already starting to get somewhere in the vicinity without even thinking about it.

For me it makes sense for WC to trade the pick. Their problems right now would appear to run far deeper than what could be offset by anything Harley could provide. I reckon footymaster above is on the money with a good example in Adelaide. And just recently even the JHF debacle at norff is another to a lesser extent. Sheezel and Wardlaw already, and from memory Port's first round pick this year still to come.

In fact maybe norf could be a player in the chase for Harley. This year they'll get pick 2 or 3, plus I think they already have ports first round pick, mix that with next year's first and they're already starting to get somewhere in the vicinity without even thinking about it.
It would be amazing if North got him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously we are not going to agree Gringo, but go back and have a look at the game day stats of the GF teams you mentioned. Regardless of the reputation of the midfield players or group the winning teams midfields all dominated on the day eg Shuey 34 disposals Norm Smith and WCE midfield kicked 5 goals between them in a low scoring game. On it goes....

To state Martin played forward at that time is simply not correct - in those days he rested forward. He did dominate in his stints forward, but he played more minutes in the midfield. You can attempt to twist the narrative but the stats simply dont support what you are suggesting.

Winning Grand Final teams have dominant midfields, Brisbane, Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn, WCE all with players who can go to another level on the big stage. How many of them do we presently have?
You are right , you need a good midfield to win a flag.

If Sinclair can consistently kick goals from midfield, it would be hard to maintain the argument he is better at half-back, like I have attempted previously. He managed to better a very good game from HBF from NWM to grab the BOG votes on Sunday afternoon.
I would start to groom someone else to take Sinclair spot on the flank even if he is just rotated from there for now.
Hopefully Coffield and fill the void when and if Sinclair moves to the midfield permanently
Suppose at the moment he can rotate with Hunter Clark or Ross.

I would start to groom someone else to take Sinclair spot on the flank even if he is just rotated from there for now.
Hopefully Coffield and fill the void when and if Sinclair moves to the midfield permanently
Suppose at the moment he can rotate with Hunter Clark or Ross.

WM, Coffield, Webster, Stocker, ...... Connelly

You won't know until we play one I guess. Richmond were a below average midfield with a good game style that hid their deficiencies. WCE were below average.

Bulldogs, Carlton, Melbourne all had amazing midfields last year and all failed to make it. Brisbane won a premiership when Voss was playing still it has little relevance to modern footy. Geelong had a midfield full of kids most of last season but had huge games from their old stagers in Danger and Ducks in the finals. You don't have to be the best midfield, just the best side on the day. The Dogs midfield in 2021 was just about the best in the league, Melbourne forged their reputation in that game and their mids became stars. Melbourne won the game because their forwards fired, not that their mids starred though. Their forwards dropped off last year and so did they.

Shuey was a player around Jack Seele level who had a big game in a final. Not sure you have provided evidence for your very adamant response.

Sinclair is too good for HB IMO. You don’t need someone as good as him in the backline.

You can have the luxury of it if you have a star in your midfield. I'm having my best player on ball if I'm the coach. Better to have an outboard instead of a lifejacket.

Pretty sure it’s impossible but…..

saints 2023 + 2024 picks and sweetener for Bing.
THEN
Do the Whitfield deal.

Out - 14 + FF + Membrey
In - 4 + Bing + Whitfield

What a dream/joke that would be!

Caminiti makes Bing a lot less appealing unless we get him for unders.

I know he just re-signed but Finn Callaghan will be an absolute star.

Hopefully we’re doing the Gary Groundwork now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the Sandy return project should be hunting exactly those types. Looks like he'll be another GWS gun.

You won't know until we play one I guess. Richmond were a below average midfield with a good game style that hid their deficiencies. WCE were below average.

Bulldogs, Carlton, Melbourne all had amazing midfields last year and all failed to make it. Brisbane won a premiership when Voss was playing still it has little relevance to modern footy. Geelong had a midfield full of kids most of last season but had huge games from their old stagers in Danger and Ducks in the finals. You don't have to be the best midfield, just the best side on the day. The Dogs midfield in 2021 was just about the best in the league, Melbourne forged their reputation in that game and their mids became stars. Melbourne won the game because their forwards fired, not that their mids starred though. Their forwards dropped off last year and so did they.

Shuey was a player around Jack Seele level who had a big game in a final. Not sure you have provided evidence for your very adamant response.
WCE were 100% not a below average midfield.

Yeo is a 2x AA, Sheed and Redden were outstanding in the finals averaging about 27 and a goal each, and Shuey admittedly only performed in the GF.
Any midfield that wins against the likes of the 2018 Collingwood and Melbourne midfields, with Nathan Vardy and Scott Lycett as your 2 main rucks is always going to be good by competition standards at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back