2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Could us, Port, Freo and WCE have our own reserves mini competition?

2 out of every 3 games in your home state, 1 out of 3 in WA

Across the season we'd have to play each team over 7 times, is that too much repetition?

Also could be complications around bye weeks not lining up in the AFL competition, and if some teams do/don't make finals

Let the VFL have their VFL.

Start a new comp with under 18's as well acting as each clubs academy who they get first dibs on.

Adelaide
Port
West Coast
Fremantle
Sydney
GWS
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Tasmania
Northern Territory

There are plenty of ways you could compromise the SANFL by having certain rules for Crows and Port, but at the end of the day, it is a compromise.

I think SA and WA, both the AFL clubs and the SANFL and WAFL as a whole, should be going hard at the AFL to restructure Victorian football and implement a national reserves/development competition.

The 9 VFL clubs should either have their own juniors, or more practically, be directly affiliated with a Coates U18 club. Or vice versa, there be 12 VFL clubs - one for each of the current 12 Vic U18 sides. To have the same pathway as the SANFL and WAFL.

There should be an AFL Development League (Reserves) for players to play in that miss out on AFL selection.

Each AFL club should have the following rules for their top up players:
  • Under the age of 22 (or a maximum 3 years on a Development list out of U18's)
  • Play for an AFL team in their home state
  • Remain with their State League club and be selected (either League or Reserves) if not picked in the AFL Development team
  • Be available for selection in the main AFL team without a need to upgrade
  • Be supported and provided with opportunities to study/take up trades for life outside of football
  • If not picked on a main AFL list by the end of their 3rd season out of U18's, they return full time to their State League club.

Scrap the mid-season draft, but at any time during the season up to a certain point (say June 30), an AFL club can replace a Long Term Injured player on their list from any State League club or someone else's AFL Development List, however, the contract for the upgraded player must include a second season. If choosing a player from someone else's AFL Development List, the club which that player is from has an option to match and upgrade the player themselves.

This would retain the State Leagues as viable pathways to an AFL list for a mature age player. It would retain the strength of the State Leagues. More players straight out of the U18 pathways would have access to an AFL environment, which they can take with them to either State League or Community football in the future.

The AFL Development League/Reserves, would be even for everyone and would be about Development. AFL clubs would still have the option to upgrade players should injuries strike, to retain experience, if they want to. It would be a List management choice.

The AFL Reserves/VFA/VFL has been a dogs breakfast this century. Turn the VFL into a legitimate senior state league competition. Ideally, grow the QAFL, Sydney League, TSL, Canberra League, NTFL to be as strong as possible.

Five pathways to the AFL:
  • Drafted directly out of U18's, or at any age, on to a main list via the AFL Draft
  • Drafted to an AFL Development Squad in your own State, if Under 22 (replaces the Rookie Draft)
  • Signed directly out of an AFL Development Squad on to a main list, any time from January to June
  • Signed directly out of a State League, any time from January to June
  • Signed as an International Rookie or a Rookie from a non-AFL background as is the case now

The way back for a delisted player/trades etc. all to remain as is now.

The SANFL and WAFL has compromised for too long. The SA and WA AFL clubs have been on an uneven playing ground for too long. It is time the VFL structured up the same way and the AFL provided an even, nation-wide, opportunity for players and competitions feeding the AFL, without compromising the competitions themselves.

We have clearly defined pathways. We have our community clubs where we first play football; we have our State League clubs - which provide elite pathways for juniors and opportunities for mature age players back to AFL, or options for semi-pro lifestyle; and we have our elite AFL clubs, where all pathways lead.

In my opinion, everyone is a winner in this scenario.

There are plenty of ways you could compromise the SANFL by having certain rules for Crows and Port, but at the end of the day, it is a compromise.

I think SA and WA, both the AFL clubs and the SANFL and WAFL as a whole, should be going hard at the AFL to restructure Victorian football and implement a national reserves/development competition.

The 9 VFL clubs should either have their own juniors, or more practically, be directly affiliated with a Coates U18 club. Or vice versa, there be 12 VFL clubs - one for each of the current 12 Vic U18 sides. To have the same pathway as the SANFL and WAFL.

There should be an AFL Development League (Reserves) for players to play in that miss out on AFL selection.

Each AFL club should have the following rules for their top up players:
  • Under the age of 22 (or a maximum 3 years on a Development list out of U18's)
  • Play for an AFL team in their home state
  • Remain with their State League club and be selected (either League or Reserves) if not picked in the AFL Development team
  • Be available for selection in the main AFL team without a need to upgrade
  • Be supported and provided with opportunities to study/take up trades for life outside of football
  • If not picked on a main AFL list by the end of their 3rd season out of U18's, they return full time to their State League club.

Scrap the mid-season draft, but at any time during the season up to a certain point (say June 30), an AFL club can replace a Long Term Injured player on their list from any State League club or someone else's AFL Development List, however, the contract for the upgraded player must include a second season. If choosing a player from someone else's AFL Development List, the club which that player is from has an option to match and upgrade the player themselves.

This would retain the State Leagues as viable pathways to an AFL list for a mature age player. It would retain the strength of the State Leagues. More players straight out of the U18 pathways would have access to an AFL environment, which they can take with them to either State League or Community football in the future.

The AFL Development League/Reserves, would be even for everyone and would be about Development. AFL clubs would still have the option to upgrade players should injuries strike, to retain experience, if they want to. It would be a List management choice.

The AFL Reserves/VFA/VFL has been a dogs breakfast this century. Turn the VFL into a legitimate senior state league competition. Ideally, grow the QAFL, Sydney League, TSL, Canberra League, NTFL to be as strong as possible.

Five pathways to the AFL:
  • Drafted directly out of U18's, or at any age, on to a main list via the AFL Draft
  • Drafted to an AFL Development Squad in your own State, if Under 22 (replaces the Rookie Draft)
  • Signed directly out of an AFL Development Squad on to a main list, any time from January to June
  • Signed directly out of a State League, any time from January to June
  • Signed as an International Rookie or a Rookie from a non-AFL background as is the case now

The way back for a delisted player/trades etc. all to remain as is now.

The SANFL and WAFL has compromised for too long. The SA and WA AFL clubs have been on an uneven playing ground for too long. It is time the VFL structured up the same way and the AFL provided an even, nation-wide, opportunity for players and competitions feeding the AFL, without compromising the competitions themselves.

We have clearly defined pathways. We have our community clubs where we first play football; we have our State League clubs - which provide elite pathways for juniors and opportunities for mature age players back to AFL, or options for semi-pro lifestyle; and we have our elite AFL clubs, where all pathways lead.

In my opinion, everyone is a winner in this scenario.
This is great, well thought out and not that difficult of a concept.

Can anyone answer this? My daughter met someone that played as a top up for the Crows team earlier this year. Claims he wasn't paid for the match(es) he was in. I thought top ups were paid or is it only a few. Gone back to his country club.

Can anyone answer this? My daughter met someone that played as a top up for the Crows team earlier this year. Claims he wasn't paid for the match(es) he was in. I thought top ups were paid or is it only a few. Gone back to his country club.
I wonder if they were preseason trial games or SANFL games?

Why not Gollant to CHB to see if he's got it?

I guess Borlase likely drops back but let's try something different for a change, McHenry into the midfield rotations where he played for the Geelong Falcons. Looks like Jones is most likely being held over for the AFL team?

ADELAIDE

League

F: McHenry, T. Murray, Gollant

HF: O’Leary, Burgess, Daniele

C: Welsh, Curtin, Thomas

HB: Ryan, Madgen, H. Boyle

B: Haysman, Clifford, Tahana

R: Strachan, Edwards, J. Boyle

INT: Davis, Sigal, Whimpress, Burton

IN: Burgess, Burton, Davis, Sigal, Thomas, Whimpress

OUT: Pedlar (shoulder), Bond (AFL), Borlase (AFL), Jones, (AFL), Schoenberg (AFL), Thilthorpe (AFL)

NORWOOD

League

F: Callow, Mclean, Kennerley

HF: Hamilton, Twelftree, F. Heard

C: M. Carroll, Lowe, Cresswell

HB: Murley, J. Heard, Lord

B: Graham, Donnelly, Ling

R: Boyd, Cootee, Wright

INT: B. Carroll, Saunders, Simpson, Morris, Hodge, Gale, Krollig

IN: Kennerley, Krollig, Gale, Hodge

OUT: Seymour (overseas)

NEW: Calem Krollig (Waybacks FC)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is that top ups get 400 bucks per SANFL game.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why not Gollant to CHB to see if he's got it?

I guess Borlase likely drops back but let's try something different for a change, McHenry into the midfield rotations where he played for the Geelong Falcons. Looks like Jones is most likely being held over for the AFL team?

ADELAIDE

League

F: McHenry, T. Murray, Gollant

HF: O’Leary, Burgess, Daniele

C: Welsh, Curtin, Thomas

HB: Ryan, Madgen, H. Boyle

B: Haysman, Clifford, Tahana

R: Strachan, Edwards, J. Boyle

INT: Davis, Sigal, Whimpress, Burton

IN: Burgess, Burton, Davis, Sigal, Thomas, Whimpress

OUT: Pedlar (shoulder), Bond (AFL), Borlase (AFL), Jones, (AFL), Schoenberg (AFL), Thilthorpe (AFL)

NORWOOD

League

F: Callow, Mclean, Kennerley

HF: Hamilton, Twelftree, F. Heard

C: M. Carroll, Lowe, Cresswell

HB: Murley, J. Heard, Lord

B: Graham, Donnelly, Ling

R: Boyd, Cootee, Wright

INT: B. Carroll, Saunders, Simpson, Morris, Hodge, Gale, Krollig

IN: Kennerley, Krollig, Gale, Hodge

OUT: Seymour (overseas)

NEW: Calem Krollig (Waybacks FC)
Certainly will

I’m sick of SANFL clubs being f***ed around by the whims of AFL clubs part way through the year.
Haven’t got a balanced list? Suck eggs.
Got injuries during the year? Suck eggs.
Deal with it, don’t rely on rooting around another club in another league in the MSD to Band-Aid over your shit luck or poor management.

Any changes to appease the latest whims of Port or Adelaide (mainly Port) need to not be at the behest of the SANFL clubs.
Again, consider just how much SANFL clubs are restricted in fielding their teams and getting new players.

GC, are you suggesting you take top up players from SANFL clubs, use them at will and discard them at will and the SANFL clubs just have to suck up being totally stuffed around?
It should be considered. The SANFL is just a Pro-Am comp, so the priority should be given to the needs of the top level clubs, instead of the other way around.

Maybe having them back at their junior SANFL clubs is more meaningful for the club and player than running around as a top up player for an AFL reserves team.

I assume both reserves teams still have a “marquee” player they can nominate and pay that is outside of their restricted non AFL list.
SANFL clubs are heavily restricted by a salary cap and face pretty severe penalties if it’s breached….unless you’re Norwood…they also don’t have the ability to nominate a “marquee” player paid outside the salary cap.
Whereas both reserves sides breach the SANFL salary cap ten fold every week.

Whenever the restrictions on the reserves sides are mentioned the restrictions the SANFL clubs have are never mentioned. It’s such a myopic discussion in the media yet a modicum of inquisitiveness would present a fairer discussion…..can’t have that when it gets in the way of a Chris Davies tantrum can we.
He makes a good point about how few top level players are coming out of SA.

The SANFL has to take major blame for that.

The clubs are barely above amateur and they shouldn't have responsibility for developing the future of the game.

At a minimum, if we're to stay in the SANFL, we need the same rules as our competitors in the VFL.

I’m sick of SANFL clubs being f***ed around by the whims of AFL clubs part way through the year.
Haven’t got a balanced list? Suck eggs.
Got injuries during the year? Suck eggs.
Deal with it, don’t rely on rooting around another club in another league in the MSD to Band-Aid over your shit luck or poor management.

Any changes to appease the latest whims of Port or Adelaide (mainly Port) need to not be at the behest of the SANFL clubs.
Again, consider just how much SANFL clubs are restricted in fielding their teams and getting new players.
I couldn't give a crap about some minor league getting their knickers in a knot.

I don't care about high school football either, or the results of country games.

There is the genuine top league, and everything else might as well be social games as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't give a crap about some minor league getting their knickers in a knot.

I don't care about high school football either, or the results of country games.

There is the genuine top league, and everything else might as well be social games as far as I'm concerned.
bloody hell this is football brain rot

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back