2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We will have around a dozen top up players against Norwood.

I believe over the last few years we have only won twice with this many top ups, both times against the bottom team.
We are in for a smacking tomorrow 🥺.
Yep
AFL listed in SANFL tomorrow
Ryan
Curtin
Burgess
McHenry
Murray
Gollant
Strachan
Edwards
Then two of Borlase Jones and Schoenberg

Thats 10 AFL listed players. So 12 top ups

We only have 34 available AFL listed with 9 plus Sloane unavailable. 23 in AFL plus emergency.

This is why SANFL game should be Sunday after our AFL match

He makes a good point about how few top level players are coming out of SA.

The SANFL has to take major blame for that.

The clubs are barely above amateur and they shouldn't have responsibility for developing the future of the game.

At a minimum, if we're to stay in the SANFL, we need the same rules as our competitors in the VFL.
The clubs are barely above amateur, what insulting bullshit from a bloke who lives in a different state and would not have gone to a game in how long?

Go back to talking about stuff you know about, like velvet.

I couldn't give a crap about some minor league getting their knickers in a knot.

I don't care about high school football either, or the results of country games.

There is the genuine top league, and everything else might as well be social games as far as I'm concerned.
Doesn’t anyone give a crap about what you think?

Well, he's a professional, so it should be. That's a meaningless point.

Mate, you seem to have some sort of arachnid stuck up your arse concerning me…whatever.
It was a point made in a discussion about salary caps and restrictions for SANFL clubs and afl reserves teams, it’s a valid point.

I couldn't give a crap about some minor league getting their knickers in a knot.

I don't care about high school football either, or the results of country games.

There is the genuine top league, and everything else might as well be social games as far as I'm concerned.
It’s pretty clear you don’t have much scope outside of your own myopic clique, good for you.

So you want everything to revolve around anything you have no interest in, f*** a league and teams with over 100 years of tradition and their history.
F*** their players, supporters, volunteers and administrators.
F*** it all off, bastardise it, abuse it because Mostyn doesn’t have it in his toy box of short term interest.

There’s plenty concerning the AFL and Aussie Rules I don’t care about or take much interest in but I still respect that some people do and that it means a lot for a lot of people.
You on the other hand seem to have a short term, knee jerk, embittered viewpoint on it. It strikes me as a very Trumpian view you choose to have….very on point…well done.

4CD6F161-F8C4-48B6-A73A-9AE1B3EE5C0A.gif

Mate, you seem to have some sort of arachnid stuck up your arse concerning me…whatever.
It was a point made in a discussion about salary caps and restrictions for SANFL clubs and afl reserves teams, it’s a valid point.

It’s pretty clear you don’t have much scope outside of your own myopic clique, good for you.

So you want everything to revolve around anything you have no interest in, f*** a league and teams with over 100 years of tradition and their history.
F*** it all off, bastardise it, abuse it because Mostyn doesn’t have it in his toy box of short term interest.

There’s plenty concerning the AFL and Aussie Rules I don’t care about or take much interest in but I still respect that some people do and that it means a lot for a lot of people.
You on the other hand seem to have a short term, knee jerk, embittered viewpoint on it. It strikes me as a very Trumpian view you choose to have….very on point…well done.

View attachment 2046003
It’s the velvet jacket

i still believe that one of the main issues is just that it is difficult to get people who want to play for a reserves side. some of the names listed before like luke brown, he didnt even go back to norwood, went straight to amateurs. quite a few guys coming off afl lists, especially in late 20's early 30's are going straight back to their junior club or playing with a relative. plus, if you've just been delisted by the crows or port, do you really want to just go straight back to them in a reserves capacity?

if you're a player good enough to play sanfl league football and you want to play at that level, what is exactly the appeal of a reserves team? plenty of sanfl players still get picked up in the various drafts, especially the mid season one. so really, it only seems natural that a player would just play for a traditional sanfl club, and the only ones really available are those not wanting to play for an sanfl club and put in that level, those not wanted by any sanfl clubs, or players who have been made promises regarding being taken in the mid season draft.

i still believe that one of the main issues is just that it is difficult to get people who want to play for a reserves side. some of the names listed before like luke brown, he didnt even go back to norwood, went straight to amateurs. quite a few guys coming off afl lists, especially in late 20's early 30's are going straight back to their junior club or playing with a relative. plus, if you've just been delisted by the crows or port, do you really want to just go straight back to them in a reserves capacity?

if you're a player good enough to play sanfl league football and you want to play at that level, what is exactly the appeal of a reserves team? plenty of sanfl players still get picked up in the various drafts, especially the mid season one. so really, it only seems natural that a player would just play for a traditional sanfl club, and the only ones really available are those not wanting to play for an sanfl club and put in that level, those not wanted by any sanfl clubs, or players who have been made promises regarding being taken in the mid season draft.
I guess there's the appeal of continuing to play (or at least train) with your mates, with whom you've been playing for the previous decade. However, that's mitigated by the fact that the reserves team is usually made up of recently recruited kids, with whom you wouldn't have that lengthy history. You'd still get to play with your mates if/when they were dropped, or returning from injury, but most of them would still be playing in the A team.

And is a reserves player really going to want to travel every second week?

Then there is opportunities. If we have **** all injuries our side is chock full of afl listed players, is a player really going to want to risk being dropped?

Then there’s finals and wanting to win a GF. Is a player really going to want to play for a club over a traditional SANFL club knowing come finals time AFL players like Crouch will prioritise getting ready for the following season.

Then there is the AFL development issue. These better top up players are going to need to play, so if they are a mid they’ll take midfield time away from our AFL young mids. If they are a key forward and we have 2-3 developing they’ll take a spot.

An AFL reserves side sounds good for a club trying to deflect from their poor development and drafting, but there’s more to it than that.

View attachment 2046003

Sorry - I don't mean to target you.

You're just one of the posters with the most pro-SANFL views, and that is a perspective that I strongly disagree with.

Personally, I feel that many of the actions of the SANFL are barriers to the Crows succeeding.

I'm not that interested in the history of a local league. I'm interested in giving our club every chance of national success.

Why? Why do you assume people care deeply about the SANFL?

I really resent how they've prioritised their own self interest over SA having successful AFL clubs.
in what way? i wasnt aware the sanfl was responsible for our lacklustre drafting and development over the years. the sanfl has a responsibility as the governing body for all the clubs in sa, not just two.

im sure once both port and crows fully own their licence's in the next few years they'll finally be dominant forces as it's all the sanfl's fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry - I don't mean to target you.

You're just one of the posters with the most pro-SANFL views, and that is a perspective that I strongly disagree with.

Personally, I feel that many of the actions of the SANFL are barriers to the Crows succeeding.

I'm not that interested in the history of a local league. I'm interested in giving our club every chance of national success.
IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT THE CROWS!
Or Port or the AF***ingFL.
It’s called Australian Rules Football. There’s a wide country out there playing the same code for many many decades before you or I were a thought fart, a code, a sport a way of people, towns, cities and States coming together in a shared love of it and someone like YOU, wants to dismiss, bastardise and prostitute all of that out for your biggest show in town.
It’s a typical trickle down economics mentality that everything has to feed the pinnacle, the privileged. YOU suggest to erode all the glue and the fabric that has kept this sport going for over a hundred years because you have no interest in anything below it, you forget, no, you don’t even realise that it’s actually the grass roots levels and everything below your gilded AFL that makes it even possible. Dismiss and degrade it at your peril, you’ll have nothing left.

IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT THE CROWS!
Or Port or the AF***ingFL.
It’s called Australian Rules Football. There’s a wide country out there playing the same code for many many decades before you or I were a thought fart, a code, a sport a way of people, towns, cities and States coming together in a shared love of it and someone like YOU, wants to dismiss, bastardise and prostitute all of that out for your biggest show in town.
It’s a typical trickle down economics mentality that everything has to feed the pinnacle, the privileged. YOU suggest to erode all the glue and the fabric that has kept this sport going for over a hundred years because you have no interest in anything below it, you forget, no, you don’t even realise that it’s actually the grass roots levels and everything below your gilded AFL that makes it even possible. Dismiss and degrade it at your peril, you’ll have nothing left.

How do the AFL reserves teams getting better access to top up players bastardize the SANFL and hurt grass roots football?

Bit of a stretch

I am absolutely in agreement that the AFL should be reinvesting in community sport - as should the government.

There are a lot of good, healthy, community uniting reasons to have local clubs.

But the Crows are our team competing on a national stage. That needs genuine priority, and barriers to their success should be removed.

I am absolutely in agreement that the AFL should be reinvesting in community sport - as should the government.

There are a lot of good, healthy, community uniting reasons to have local clubs.

But the Crows are our team competing on a national stage. That needs genuine priority, and barriers to their success should be removed.
Interesting then you don’t apply the same philosophy to the employees of the club.

The mental gymnastics you come up to defend their decisions just because you support the club is inconsistent with this approach.

Meh…
I’m of the view that every single footballer that gets the chance to make it onto an AFL clubs list should have that opportunity..

Even if that means the second tier SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc leagues and their clubs suffer somewhat because of this by losing players (some even mid season)

Without the players there’s no footy… the players and their career opportunities need to come first.

To be against this would be akin to saying a person working as an accountant for a small accountancy firm, on a lowly wage with little opportunity for career progression, should somehow not be allowed to be poached to go work for a large firm on better money with more career advancement opportunities..

Be madness.

How do the AFL reserves teams getting better access to top up players bastardize the SANFL and hurt grass roots football?

Bit of a stretch
Those words are in reply to Mostyn’s stance of everything is there to serve the whims of Adelaide or the AFL at whatever cost, it wasn’t directly referring to top up changes. Depending on how they’re done I don’t necessarily have an issue with changes.
It’s also good to remember that all restrictions and rules of the reserved teams are reviewed every year regardless, which also makes Chris Davies’ tantrums all the more ridiculous.

It’s easy to see that when both AFL teams are healthy they can absolutely steamroll all SANFL clubs, when they’re not it’s normally the opposite, finding the balance is the issue. Largely I think the SANFL have done pretty well to find that balance, the stats of finals played I’ve posted previously back that up.

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back