2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumours floating around that they want Armstrong and a key forward, or possibly both Whitlocks.

They have a midfield already, but their key defensive spots are rank, and Larkey needs a mate.

It makes sense North would want to drop back and take key position players. I imagine the deal will be with Richmond who will get a miriad of early picks from the player trades. As HS has suggested in his top 10 above, it would lean to Richmond taking Smith and OSullivan who would set their midfield up for years. If the Tigers manage to wrangle GCS pick #6 for Rioli then ontrade to North it would mean another quality mid will slide through, plus Trainor will still be available if wanted.

Jack Whitlock has been on fire the last few weeks racking up big disposal numbers as well as hitting the score board. Matt has been playing forward also but I think he is best suited to defence. The Bushrangers have another kid who has won the Coates League goal kicking Josh Murphy 32 goals. He is 190cms tall powerfully built lad who has great hands and an accurate shot on goal. He would make an excellent 3rd or 4th tall forward.

Seems like Tigers fans are back on Smillie judging by the responses to this tweet but FOS still the favourite imo. Jagga seems unlikely so depending how much he slides may be worth looking to trade up for

Reid also liked by them so hopefully taken with Gold Coast's pick

Assuming Trainor and Reid are taken in the top 6, that leaves us with two of FOS, Smillie, Jagga, Draper, Langford, Lalor:eyes:

Seems like Tigers fans are back on Smillie judging by the responses to this tweet but FOS still the favourite imo. Jagga seems unlikely so depending how much he slides may be worth looking to trade up for

Assuming Trainor and Reid are taken in the top 6, that leaves us with two of FOS, Smillie, Jagga, Draper, Langford, Lalor:eyes:

There's a very simple method to predicting the top draft order but it takes time and patience.

1. Relax

2. Make a cup of tea, with a biscuit too. My preference is camomile, and arnott's malt-o-milk.

3. Wait for Cal Twomey's phantom to drop.

Anything else and you're wasting valuable calories.

There's a very simple method to predicting the top draft order but it takes time and patience.

1. Relax

2. Make a cup of tea, with a biscuit too. My preference is camomile, and arnott's malt-o-milk.

All I’m saying is that if I saw Sam Lalor driving around in a brand new Chery after his most recent ‘injury’ then I’d look the other way

1. Relax

Agreed haha, I've started doing that recently so less time spent obsessing over draft and more time actually having a life

Except I'm cutting so losing calories is a good thing :tearsofjoy:

Agreed haha, I've started doing that recently so less time spent obsessing over draft and more time actually having a life

Except I'm cutting so losing calories is a good thing :tearsofjoy:

1. Relax

Personally, I prefer a Scotch Finger, accompanied by a cup of Fijian Royal Kava, for medicinal purposes only, of course.

I agree on the Mundy likeness with Smillie, but dont think speed is one of his assets.

Let me clarfiy, relative most mids that size, ie,

Cripps, Steele, Dunkley, Oliver, etc etc.

I think his ability to move in and out of stoppages, other then just breaking tackles due to his size is superior.
The thing we don't know and only the recruiters will know is what his work ethic like?

Is he Pou, Windy, Wilson like or is he satisified being where he is.

That is the million dollar question. If the answer is yes, I would be taking him first no doubt.
Mundy was a very good player who won 2015 AA, won Freo's B&F. If Smillie can show Mundy's grit, hunt for the ball and his leadership he will become a really good player. He is only a kid but I get the impression a lot of his hype revolves around his size but he doesnt use it that well. He may become a very good player but for me I think there will be better options available for our club.

Whoever we pick it's got a high probability of being very very good. I'd love to get another 1st Rd pick without sacrificing the two we'll have or the Crows pick in Rd 2.

Futures trade or player trade?

Steele? Would be a shocking look though, after Battle leaving and Seb & possibly Crouch leaving the midfield.

Still though... external value high enough.

GC have to get rid of 4 rookies and have 5 picks under 35.
If Lukosius and Powell exit as well they will have say another 2 picks in the 20s.
They will want quality over quantity.
Bundling late picks for Lombard requires them to either hope they us pick 6 before a bid which is a risk.

Same with 13, maybe better to burn a couple of later picks in the 20s.

Swap with Norf or WCE for pick 2 or 3 for 6 and 13. Weighted in Norf WCE favour but that's what happens. We have no play in this unfortunately.

If they trade 6 for Rioli, then we could swoop with our ffrdp and 24 for 13 and maybe a swap to 26. 4 picks inside 30 sounds good in a deep draft.

We can probably only draft 4 players if we intend to add Peckett Cole and Hoffman.

Lindsay Armstrong or Hotton at 13 would be....delicious!

Going to be a wild ride come trade time buckle up boyos

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not having a go at anyone, but I find it interesting how definitive some people can be about an 18.y.o kid and their future prospects.
Can imagine in Cam Wilkie's year. ' Very vanilla, too small, pass'
Rohan Marshall, 'too slow for forwards, terrible ruck, won't develop, maybe a VFL player'.
Players have weaknesses, they get into the AFL system, they get exposed and then worked on. It is soon apparent what they are and first preseason will show what is required.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not having a go at anyone, but I find it interesting how definitive some people can be about an 18.y.o kid and their future prospects.
Rohan Marshall, 'too slow for forwards, terrible ruck, won't develop, maybe a VFL player'.
Players have weaknesses, they get into the AFL system, they get exposed and then worked on. It is soon apparent what they are and first preseason will show what is required.

So true JB. 18 year olds play against 18 year olds and the adjustment to the big league is enormous. The pressure and expectation on a high draft pick is a burden, Max King is probably a good example for us. Players like Ro and Wilks knew the deficiencies in their game probably a lot better than an 18 year old and were more mature to adjust to rigours of the big league.

A relative of mine asked Kinnear Beatson about what was the most important factor in deciding to draft a young player. He said by far it was competitiveness. Sometimes the star 18 year olds are a level above their opponents but struggle to adapt to AFL where it is absolute dog eat dog and you are up against seasoned men.

I don't think Roma was even on the radar.
I know i was very different physically at 30 than i was at 18.

I think everyone just comes from a place where we are all amateur recruiters and think we all know something about nothing to do with football.

It doesn’t get more polarised then the love/hate on here with Murphy Reid 😂

GC have to get rid of 4 rookies and have 5 picks under 35.
If Lukosius and Powell exit as well they will have say another 2 picks in the 20s.
They will want quality over quantity.
Bundling late picks for Lombard requires them to either hope they us pick 6 before a bid which is a risk.

Same with 13, maybe better to burn a couple of later picks in the 20s.

Swap with Norf or WCE for pick 2 or 3 for 6 and 13. Weighted in Norf WCE favour but that's what happens. We have no play in this unfortunately.

If they trade 6 for Rioli, then we could swoop with our ffrdp and 24 for 13 and maybe a swap to 26. 4 picks inside 30 sounds good in a deep draft.

We can probably only draft 4 players if we intend to add Peckett Cole and Hoffman.

Lindsay Armstrong or Hotton at 13 would be....delicious!

Going to be a wild ride come trade time buckle up boyos

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
No one is bidding on Lombard before pick six and you’d laugh and not match if they did. I don’t think richmond are getting that pick, GC need to take pick six then get out of the way until someone calls lombards name. It’s hard to time something like that so I don’t think they’ll get too cute.

I’m hoping we just stick with out two picks and see if anyone gets fired up on the night, live trading was profitable last year.

Agree Joffa.

A lot of what makes these kids stars is their drive & competitiveness to be the absolute best. Then they need the work ethic to keep improving.

That is something that is hard to judge or quantify even by the recruiters who spend a lot of time with them. Us pundits have the footage, write ups and occasional interview but generally people are relying on the so called experts to form their opinion.

Its like everything in footy its opinion based and often there is no right or wrong - that's why we love the game so much!

So true JB. 18 year olds play against 18 year olds and the adjustment to the big league is enormous. The pressure and expectation on a high draft pick is a burden, Max King is probably a good example for us. Players like Ro and Wilks knew the deficiencies in their game probably a lot better than an 18 year old and were more mature to adjust to rigours of the big league.

A relative of mine asked Kinnear Beatson about what was the most important factor in deciding to draft a young player. He said by far it was competitiveness. Sometimes the star 18 year olds are a level above their opponents but struggle to adapt to AFL where it is absolute dog eat dog and you are up against seasoned men.
He should have added all things being equal, who’s picking a battler because he’s super competitive.

Wow that is a great insight. The example that springs to mind with me immediately is Garcia.
Picked in the 50's, none of us had heard of him, but if one of the criteria was Beatson's it is now obvious to us fans what they saw.
To me he such a competitor. Maybe some thought a bit small, but that competitiveness is in everything he does.

Completely agree on competitiveness being priority 1. Hard to measure from afar as amateur sleuths watching highlight vids like us 😂.

Wow that is a great insight. The example that springs to mind with me immediately is Garcia.
Picked in the 50's, none of us had heard of him, but if one of the criteria was Beatson's it is now obvious to us fans what they saw.
To me he such a competitor. Maybe some thought a bit small, but that competitiveness is in everything he does.

Extreme speed, incredible competitiveness in contest, loves a goal.

There is an argument to say that Hugo is the younger brother of Dangerfield.

Looks like he’s following Hunter Clark’s gym program.

This is why I don’t get the hate for Reid. He is always at the coalface and doesn’t mind some push and shove. He’s also a really good tackler. Get on board.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back