2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Nope. Petracca was one of the most clear no. 1 consensus picks over the past 20 years. Not Harley Reid but nothing like this year. And yes we can blame the saints recruiting team. it was their responsibility and they got it horribly wrong
as i said, a simple google search will prove you otherwise, but if people want to go with the narrative that we clearly chose wrongly post the fact, then so be it, but he definitely wasn't clear no.1... this year there are many experts predicting many possible no.1 draft picks and then down to our picks at 9/10. Which one is clearly better than the next player? Definitely not an easy thing to do, but we can sit here behind our keyboards and say we know better. Just draft the best player and dont draft for position....

It's clear we need a linebreaking mid (so does everyone) and a key back. Do we draft the best 2 players (mids) available at 9/10 or do we trade a pick to get the best key back plus the next best other? Personally, i say we keep them as is and go the best 2 available, but i'm not going to throw my arms up if we trade down either.

Player comparison time, Jagga Smith reminded me of someone but I could never put my finger on it. I finally got it, it could be an unpopular opinion but at an under 18 he absolutely reminds me of Darcy Parish. Anyone else see the similarities?

Player comparison time, Jagga Smith reminded me of someone but I could never put my finger on it. I finally got it, it could be an unpopular opinion but at an under 18 he absolutely reminds me of Darcy Parish. Anyone else see the similarities?
Darcy Parish & Paddy Dow=common names? Jagga Smith won't come around too often. Comparisons, pufttt

Respectfully disagree BarkerFan.

Time changes many things but it doesn't change facts.

2014 coincided with the near end of the Riewoldt era with no obvious heir apparent.

Prior to the draft in the 2014 trade period, Tom Boyd the recent No. 1 draft pick was traded to the Bulldogs on a 7 year $7 million contract.

Cal Twomey predicted a draft order of McCartin, Brayshaw and then Petracca.

Clearly Trac has turned out the best of the lot and as much as I wish you could, you can't blame the saints recruiting team at the time for this stuff up.

Here's to positive vibes that the recent drafting trend continues and we smash this upcoming draft.

Go saints
Cal Twomey predicted McCartin at 1 only after it had become clear we were taking him there. His predicted phantom draft is different to his rating of players.. In his rating of players, Petracca was no. 1 all year.

The fact is that Petracca was consensus no. 1 all year. That is a fact.

As for us going for a KPF, I make 2 comments
1. The recruiters should know this: take best player available! The fact they did not is something they are responsible for

2. The facts about Tom Boyd has been overstated. Trout chose McCartin over Petracca based on his perception of their character, far more than on their position played. The club stated over and over that the player they brought in was not based on immediate needs, but for the long haul. Again, this is something the recruiters are responsible for. The fact is, Petracca has been a very very professional and dedicated player. So they got that part wrong as well

O’Sullivan clunks marks and moves with power laterally very much like current day Heeeny. Also very capable of hiring the scoreboard in different ways consistently whether playing mid or resting forward.
FOS is a lot faster than Heeney from the eye. I liken him to Dangerfield more than Heeney but I see where you're coming from

Dangerfield 189cm-95kg, yeah like Fos will be that? What comparison?
FOS is shorter but doesn't change the fact they play similar

Both have burst from stoppage
Both good overhead
Both able to play forward and have an impact
Both have outside attributes such as running power and speed

The last point is what I don't really see in Heeney as much as the other 2

All these fantastically rated players seem to have downsides. Every player has a but….. But he doesn’t do this, but he doesn’t do that. In a Superdraft!

Makes me kind of glad we kept our picks for next year. So far.

Cal Twomey predicted McCartin at 1 only after it had become clear we were taking him there. His predicted phantom draft is different to his rating of players.. In his rating of players, Petracca was no. 1 all year.

The fact is that Petracca was consensus no. 1 all year. That is a fact.

As for us going for a KPF, I make 2 comments
1. The recruiters should know this: take best player available! The fact they did not is something they are responsible for

2. The facts about Tom Boyd has been overstated. Trout chose McCartin over Petracca based on his perception of their character, far more than on their position played. The club stated over and over that the player they brought in was not based on immediate needs, but for the long haul. Again, this is something the recruiters are responsible for. The fact is, Petracca has been a very very professional and dedicated player. So they got that part wrong as well
Comment 2 is based purely on hindsight and contradicts your original statement.
Footballing ability is unquestionable, however, at draft time Petracca was perceived as a selfish FIGJAM and that perception has been confirmed given his recent behaviour and trade requests...

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back