2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trigger Warning: Tom Morris

Tom Morris just reported we want 2 picks in the first round.

So pick 5 & 6 or should battle stay, we would want to split pick 5

Not a bad idea considering how deep this draft goes.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

pick 6 is a horrible pick to have

Just on Cole, who I have not really seen play.

Some posters seem very keen to grab him reasonably early, and this is probably fuelled a little by media stories that are suggesting changes to the bidding system may help us secure him. This in turn feeds into the narrative that he's a gun.

Other poster(s) suggest he may not have shown a great deal and they’re worried that a decision to take him may be an emotional one based on his status as one of our Academy boys.

I have great confidence that those in charge will make the correct choice.

Previously the club, when not so well run, chose not to match a bid on Biggy Nyuon. Many fans had read about Biggy for the previous 12-24 months and he appeared to be first big thing to come out of our Academy. A feel good story. However when Richmond bid on him at pick 54 the Saints elected not to match the bid. We later selected Leo Connolly with the pick we retained, and although that didn’t work out, we didn't miss anything by not taking Nyuon.

In more recent times we've taken Owens and Windhager who have proven to be outstanding selections. Many others we have not selected.

Our club is extremely well run these days and I'm sure they won't select Cole unless they really like him and get him for a pick that is appropriate.

Sentiment and emotions won't come into it, although it will at the BF poster level.

Lindsay was as impressive as always in difficult conditions, winning plenty of the ball and battling to hit targets through the tricky wind. Swimming the channel, climbing mount Everest, and kicking goals into the wind at Williamstown oval... these are some of the toughest challenges known to mankind, but Xavier and his Gippsland teammates made it look easy in the fourth quarter as they pulled away to record an impressive win.

When are you getting around to Mr Langford?

Some posters seem very keen to grab him reasonably early, and this is probably fuelled a little by media stories that are suggesting changes to the bidding system may help us secure him. This in turn feeds into the narrative that he's a gun.

Other poster(s) suggest he may not have shown a great deal and they’re worried that a decision to take him may be an emotional one based on his status as one of our Academy boys.

Previously the club, when not so well run, chose not to match a bid on Biggy Nyuon. Many fans had read about Biggy for the previous 12-24 months and he appeared to be first big thing to come out of our Academy. A feel good story. However when Richmond bid on him at pick 54 the Saints elected not to match the bid. We later selected Leo Connolly with the pick we retained, and although that didn’t work out, we didn't miss anything by not taking Nyuon.

In more recent times we've taken Owens and Windhager who have proven to be outstanding selections. Many others we have not selected.

Our club is extremely well run these days and I'm sure they won't select Cole unless they really like him and get him for a pick that is appropriate.

Sentiment and emotions won't come into it, although it will at the BF poster level.
I believe he was always touted as a 40+ type of pick.

He won’t come in much more then that.

Ollie Murphy another pure full back stopper went at p41 last year. He was also touted a lot higher.

When I can Mr Stavro.

You can rest assured that I'll be doing every Langford performance for the rest of the year. It's just a matter of scheduling.
I think you should prioritise the players around picks 4-6.

😂😁

All jokes aside. Love your work. 😘

giphy.gif

I cant believe what I have just read, my god you are a hypercrit. Your posts and attacks border on bullying. Anyone you dont agree with you belittle and scorn them like they are complete idiots. Simply because they present an idea that differs to yourself. As far as personal attacks are concerned you are the gold standard and set the tone for most if not all threads. Then when someone replies in kind you have the audacity to go off and whinge to the mods like a small child.

You think if you write in the third person it is not a direct insult, but really its just another method of the gutless stuff you roll out.

Yes I have a strong opinion regarding Cole, but if you dont like what I suggest put me on ignore. Its not up to you to change others opinions as much as you might think that is your role. If you think I am wrong thats fine just ignore the comments.

And by the way Stav and myself resolved our differences amically, its something you could never lay claim to.
Sure mate, anything you say. :D:D:D

Charlie Day Ok GIF

Cole is a free hit, nobody ever said he was a top draft pick. However if you actually say he has some qualities you may get this
Sad Baby GIF

So its best not to upset apple cart ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Harvey Langford is proving to be a genuine star.

As of yesterday, averaging:

24.5 Disposals
1.3 Goals per game
5.9 Tackles
1.1 R50
4.9 I50

Star is probably a bit hyperbolic and that's from someone who's been on him from the start. Langford is a really solid consistent player. He never plays a bad game but I reckon the reason he's not higher rated is probably because he's not got a lot of X factor to separate him from the pack.

If you want to take a player who is very unlikely to bust I reckon he's the man. I reckon Ashcroft is similar. Just doesn't really play bad games and looks one of the least likely to bust in the draft.

Lindsay was as impressive as always in difficult conditions, winning plenty of the ball and battling to hit targets through the tricky wind. Swimming the channel, climbing mount Everest, and kicking goals into the wind at Williamstown oval... these are some of the toughest challenges known to mankind, but Xavier and his Gippsland teammates made it look easy in the fourth quarter as they pulled away to record an impressive win.

He's playing well at the right time to move up the draft board. That metro v country game he looked elite.

The old pick of death. It's seriously cursed. Even a lot of good players that went with it ended up injured or not fulfilling potential.

You campaigners all gaslit me when I suggest that the top end was soft and didn't have as much stand out talent as usual. Now they are all saying it.
You're trying to gaslight us into thinking we gaslit you

You said that the top end was soft full stop and made it seem like it was a horrible year to have an early first round pick in. That is not the case. It's just a bad year to have a top 3 or 5 pick because of how even it is. Everyone who follows the draft knows about the lack of standout talent - even casuals know that. All Cal is saying is that instead of there being a clear top 5 and a clear 6-10, instead its just a clear top 10

You campaigners all gaslit me when I suggest that the top end was soft and didn't have as much stand out talent as usual. Now they are all saying it.
How did you get the top end is “soft” from that article?

No one here has said anything other than there is no clear cut #1. But this is a very good and very deep draft.

If you still can’t comprehend that after months of this conversation. Then I think it’s a Gringo issue and not everyone else.

Star is probably a bit hyperbolic and that's from someone who's been on him from the start. Langford is a really solid consistent player. He never plays a bad game but I reckon the reason he's not higher rated is probably because he's not got a lot of X factor to separate him from the pack.

If you want to take a player who is very unlikely to bust I reckon he's the man. I reckon Ashcroft is similar. Just doesn't really play bad games and looks one of the least likely to bust in the draft.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling someone a star who has little bust potential.

If Andy Brayshaw was a saint we would be thrilled.

Except for you. Because rock solid players with little X factor are 🤮

The worst thing we could do would be to overlook Langford at one of our picks because we go the high ceiling high bust potential player.

You're trying to gaslight us into thinking we gaslit you

You said that the top end was soft full stop and made it seem like it was a horrible year to have an early first round pick in. That is not the case. It's just a bad year to have a top 3 or 5 pick because of how even it is. Everyone who follows the draft knows about the lack of standout talent - even casuals know that. All Cal is saying is that instead of there being a clear top 5 and a clear 6-10, instead its just a clear top 10

Bullshit, I said I wouldn't go balls deep trying to get into the high picks because there isn't that much standout but runs deep. Still reckon that's what this draft is. Quite a good spread of talent but really lacks standout front end. Compared it to the 2017 draft because I think lots will come out of it but it's going to be a bit hit and miss inside the top 10.

I reckon a few will bust in the top 10 but more than a normal amount of good players will come out of the late first and second rounds.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling someone a star who has little bust potential.

If Andy Brayshaw was a saint we would be thrilled.

Except for you. Because rock solid players with little X factor are 🤮

The worst thing we could do would be to overlook Langford at one of our picks because we go the high ceiling high bust potential player.

Nothing wrong with it. Star is more Bont than Steele though to me.

It's a modern phenomena, heard that a "megastar" had died on the news this morning. Apparently some lady who was on Neighbours back in the day. Never heard of her before now.

How did you get the top end is “soft” from that article?

No one here has said anything other than there is no clear cut #1. But this is a very good and very deep draft.

If you still can’t comprehend that after months of this conversation. Then I think it’s a Gringo issue and not everyone else.

If there isn't as much standout talent, I'd suggest that that means it's a softer front end than normal.

Nothing wrong with it. Star is more Bont than Steele though to me.

It's a modern phenomena, heard that a "megastar" had died on the news this morning. Apparently some lady who was on Neighbours back in the day. Never heard of her before now.
Bont will arguably go down as the greatest bulldog ever.

Is that really what constitutes a star? Because that’s going to make it a very small pool that we can label a star.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back