2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not going to consider them moving past us.

I was more referencing that north at 2 has to mean TRAINOR is a genuine possibility.

Which guarantees Smith Osullivan or Draper is left at pick 5
I don't think we will have to worry about Draper not being there at our pick unless Adelaide finish below us. His champs have been undwherleming so far. From what I've seen/ know I'd have all of smillie, O'Sullivan, smith, trainor, lalor in front of him.

I’m not going to consider them moving past us.

I was more referencing that north at 2 has to mean TRAINOR is a genuine possibility.

Indeed.
Which guarantees Smith Osullivan or Draper is left at pick 5

I think North showed today that given their remaining fixture they should get off the bottom. Should go above at least one of the Tigers or WC, and quite possibly both. If they had of won today I think they definitely would have.

North will be desperate to add some experienced players to their list for next season. They have plenty of young talent. Just need some good older players to complement what they have.

So if he gets an offer of 950k from the Hawks, you'd be ok with Saints letting Battle go?

No that would be the extra $50k. Most players will take a smaller amount from their existing club anyway. Think Hawks would probably have to go to $1mill.

No you'd let Battle go if the money you save gets you a gun mid AND a high compo draft pick.

I really feel like this draft starts at about pick 7 last year or something then take Ashcroft out of the top 5. If there is one year you don't want to be balls deep at the front end of a draft it's this one. I reckon some of the players taken later could be the best of the draft types. I think Smilie looks the most likely to be a top AFL player but the rest all have plenty of question marks.

Having pick 4 and 5 in last years draft would have been a very different proposition. Sanders would have been a great addition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you’d let Battle go because we’ve got three kids with a grand total of 1 senior game between them?
I'd let Battle go (for a very high return only) because we have:
  • Howard
  • Wilkie
  • Cordie
  • Bonner
  • Schoenmaker
  • Keeler
  • Van Es
Available to make a tall/3rd tall backline mix.

I'd let Battle go because our young midfield needs a lot more talent.

Can someone help me understand why many believe Van Es is a certainty to be on the list next year? Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets another year to show whether we will make it, but he's done nothing to suggest he will.

Injuries have cruelled in massively and that limits the exposure, of course. But if the club wants to be cut throat to open list spots, then Van Es is one of the easy candidates. As I mentioned, I hope he gets another year.

Can someone help me understand why many believe Van Es is a certainty to be on the list next year? Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets another year to show whether we will make it, but he's done nothing to suggest he will.

Injuries have cruelled in massively and that limits the exposure, of course. But if the club wants to be cut throat to open list spots, then Van Es is one of the easy candidates. As I mentioned, I hope he gets another year.
I think he stays because inf the injuries highlighted and age being on his side. Club cannot cut too much without getting replacements in and we don’t know who comes in outside of draftees

You don't delist a kid, especially a kid of his size & athletic profile, just because he's had a serious injury.

If that was the process Norf would have delisted Ben McKay 7 years ago.

We'll have plenty of spots available without culling a talented young player like JVE after 2 injury interupted seasons.

Last edited:

He's no certainty but you imagine he was a project being a tall and he's been decimated by injury. Hotton too. You'd rather keep them and see what they have before delisting them. Guys like Allison, Paton and Byrnes would be more nervous if not playing regular footy.

Why would you get rid of a kid who could easily jump out the ground next year only to dump him and start the whole process again with another kid who could be no good . You have to give the big boys a bit of time , not all players Golden Slipper winners.

He's no certainty but you imagine he was a project being a tall and he's been decimated by injury. Hotton too. You'd rather keep them and see what they have before delisting them. Guys like Allison, Paton and Byrnes would be more nervous if not playing regular footy.

for me you're probably looking at the guys 27 and above not playing regular senior footy before anything else.

Zac Jones is a prime candidate. he's 30 next year. there's literally no upside there.

Jack Hayes, love him, but he's another.

Tom Campbell is gonna be 33.

then you chop some of the unfulfilled youth like you've said.

Zac Jones is a prime candidate. he's 30 next year. there's literally no upside there.

There’s barely an up side to his head

BHR8X4E.jpeg

for me you're probably looking at the guys 27 and above not playing regular senior footy before anything else.

Jack Hayes, love him, but he's another.

Tom Campbell is gonna be 33.

then you chop some of the unfulfilled youth like you've said.

For sure. Seb Ross, Membrey and Jones would be nervous.

Starting to really like this guys. Had a good VC games as well. Reminds me a bit of Jordan Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back