2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The current problem with Smillie is that given his size and skill attributes he is not consistently dominating at U18 level .... which he should be .... some have mentioned he looks lazy / disinterested / no urgency .... therefore alarm bells are ringing

You take that type of energy commitment into senior AFL level you wont last long no matter your size or skill level
His championship was poor

What isn’t poor - Is that he is averaging 26.8 disposals 4 tackles 1.4 goals per game 2 R50 4 I50 per game at Coates level.

Whether or not he is pick 1 will just come down to the club picking. But it is very evident why he is in consideration.

Lalor had an average championships. But because of what he did in glimpses has the potential to rocket into the top 3.

FOS has looked terrible but maintained a top 3 ranking across all major watches based off his 2023.

I think fans are looking at everything microscopically.

Recruiters will look at what these players are and what they might be 3-4-5 years from here.

We are going in circles here. If you want to look at how he goes as a inside mid you need to deduct the clearances he has won when playing as a ruck, which you are not. Winning clearances against a lumbering ruckman is very different winning them against mobile midfielders.

Marshall has racked up clearances as a ruck. Do you really believe that Marshall would win as many clearances if he attended the Centre Bounces as a mid? He wins that as he is:
1/ Prioritising winning the clearance over the hit out
2/ He is often more mobile that his opponent.

Owens is doing the same thing, but winning clearances this way is not the same skillset as a mid. It is a different form of contest. You cannot just say well he wins clearances as a chop out ruck, so he will win clearances when he has to compete for the ball against top flight mid.

It’s a moot point because he doesn’t get CBAs as inside mid, so you’re arguing something which he doesn’t get an opportunity to demonstrate. That said, you’d think it’d be harder to win a centre clearance as a heavily undersized ruck and the fact he’s getting more centre clearances than most of our list when given a limited opportunity probably says as much as you need to know.

Who knows. He looked like he was getting to that elite level for awhile and then it never happened and he regressed quickly.

I don’t blame him for leaving but I also think Ross got it right with JB

Lyon left him out even when we had injury issues and kids out of form. There was no point in him staying with us. Probably better for everyone that he left. Probably a bit of a gut punch that we had to pay for the honour of dumping him still.

when are you layabouts going to start posting highlight videos for christ's sake

This guy is just classy to me. He has footy smarts, tap ons, reading the play ahead of him etc.

The current problem with Smillie is that given his size and skill attributes he is not consistently dominating at U18 level .... which he should be .... some have mentioned he looks lazy / disinterested / no urgency .... therefore alarm bells are ringing

You take that type of energy commitment into senior AFL level you wont last long no matter your size or skill level
Not sure if you’ve seen his tac numbers this year but best you’d have a look. He’s been the standout

Not sure if you’ve seen his tac numbers this year but best you’d have a look. He’s been the standout

The Champs let you see them against the best and he looked ordinary. If we had pick 1 and we took him I'd be disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

werent you dissapointed we took NAS and not sinn, hobbs or chesser?

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, I didn't really take a lot of notice of Nas because he seemed like what we didn't need. I wanted a mid. I thought he'd want home too. I'm not a professional recruiter like you and sometimes I get them wrong. I think I was more Hobbs or Ward and loved Rachele, I can't really remember.

I'd still have a look at Ward and Hobbs. Both are stuck behind good midfields.

Nice set of skills.A bit of Connor Rozee in him.Would have him over Langford.

Langford looks good in games and never seems to have down games. Reid looks classy some reckon he's slow though.

Yeah, I didn't really take a lot of notice of Nas because he seemed like what we didn't need. I wanted a mid. I thought he'd want home too. I'm not a professional recruiter like you and sometimes I get them wrong. I think I was more Hobbs or Ward and loved Rachele, I can't really remember.

I'd still have a look at Ward and Hobbs. Both are stuck behind good midfields.
like me? cmon now gringo. youve changed your tune recently like youve changed your underwear.

the list is now good, dalrymple is now poor, it will probably rain rocks tomorrow..

cmon, like i can understand realism and a bit of pessimism, but sheesh lol

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This guy is just classy to me. He has footy smarts, tap ons, reading the play ahead of him etc.

Just doesn’t do it for me.
This guy never plays bad games.

This however does.

And I’ll add my day 1 favourite. Watching this live I didn’t even notice his impact.

Made me feel like I was watching Lenny again - you wouldn’t notice him, look up after a quarter and he has had 15 touches

On a side note, I love the U18s commentary team for some reason - a lot more than 7 and fox. Just feel at ease listening to them

Just doesn’t do it for me.

This however does.

And I’ll add my day 1 favourite. Watching this live I didn’t even notice his impact.

Made me feel like I was watching Lenny again - you wouldn’t notice him, look up after a quarter and he has had 15 touches

What about Reid doesn't do it? I reckon as far as highlights go he looks classy and smooth. I like Jagga though. My only concern was how he'd go against bigger bodies and that looks like it has been answered. If I had a top 3 pick I'd grab him now.

What about Reid doesn't do it? I reckon as far as highlights go he looks classy and smooth. I like Jagga though. My only concern was how he'd go against bigger bodies and that looks like it has been answered. If I had a top 3 pick I'd grab him now.
I think he is neat and tidy and has some x-factor.

But when you look at our needs we need ball pigs who win the ball at the source and then link the play.

Reid is the bloke you want receiving that handball and taking it forward.

Langford gives me Finn Callaghan vibes. I didn’t realise how much I enjoy watching him. But I do.

Jagga is small but he is probably the best accumulator and can pivot in all directions like a cat when in trouble.

Leo Lombard is a bit off broadway, playing for Allies and tied to the Gold Coast academy, but he looks the goods to me. Low centre of gravity, great acceleration and ability to work through traffic, creative player. Joint Larke medallist and already played in a VFL premiership as a 16 year old. I think it's imperative we bid on him, and get GC to pay up - either on draft night, or preferably a couple of their firsts for the Battle pick beforehand.

I do also wonder if general perceptions may have been warped by that outstanding Vic Country v Vic Metro final. Most post-champs phantom drafts (and Twomey's power rankings) seem to only have 3 non-Vic players (Draper, Lombard, Allan) in the top 20. In the last few years there have been 9, 7, 7 and 8 non-Vics picked in the top 20 respectively - so only 3 would be quite an anomaly? Guys like Lombard seem to have slipped down the rankings through no fault of their own as a result. GC need to be kept accountable here.

Leo Lombard is a bit off broadway, playing for Allies and tied to the Gold Coast academy, but he looks the goods to me. Low centre of gravity, great acceleration and ability to work through traffic, creative player. Joint Larke medallist and already played in a VFL premiership as a 16 year old. I think it's imperative we bid on him, and get GC to pay up - either on draft night, or preferably a couple of their firsts for the Battle pick beforehand.

I do also wonder if general perceptions may have been warped by that outstanding Vic Country v Vic Metro final. Most post-champs phantom drafts (and Twomey's power rankings) seem to only have 3 non-Vic players (Draper, Lombard, Allan) in the top 20. In the last few years there have been 9, 7, 7 and 8 non-Vics picked in the top 20 respectively - so only 3 would be quite an anomaly? Guys like Lombard seem to have slipped down the rankings through no fault of their own as a result. GC need to be kept accountable here.

Metro and Country absolutely dominated the Championships so no surprise that the best players originate from those two clubs more so than previous years

I can’t help but think of Luke Hodge watching Langford.

Different positions but there’s a strong sense of responsibility, brutal toughness and skill by foot and air. I thought he was slower than he looks but sharp, powerful and creative in close and can be a presence forward. All Hodge hallmarks (swapping only forward for defensive ability)

Hasn’t got Callaghan pace or agility but uses his power instead. Haven’t watched enough of him yet but I haven’t seen him run and carry much? which is why I think Draper would be my next pick, if we have the double. Would be a nice complimentary pair.

Reckon Id still be happy if we just got Langford. Others seem a little bland still to me assuming Smith is off the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back