2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 5, 6 last year were Nick Watson and Riley Sanders, hardly any world beaters, Tsatas and Humphrey in 2022. Even this year.. O’Sullivan might have some neat skills, Smith can accumulate, but they are not a lot better than Langford for example.. We just need to draft good young midfielders back our now elite environment, coaching / development to mould them into the gun mids we craved so long for. I would much rather this than North, Goldcoast.

Dude they are both guns. If we got Sanders and Watson this year I’d jizz myself. Don’t disagree in principal though. This is an even draft that lacks absolute stand out talent but runs really deep. If Dalpimple has a hard-on for Travaglia we are probably closer to his range now.

Dude they are both guns. If we got Sanders and Watson this year I’d jizz myself. Don’t disagree in principal though. This is an even draft that lacks absolute stand out talent but runs really deep. If Dalpimple has a hard-on for Travaglia we are probably closer to his range now.
And yet Wilson is better than both.

How I think the draft will play out
Richmond: Jagga
Ashcroft bid.
North: Trainor (they're absolute peanuts if they take another mid, can see them splitting this pick)
WCE: FoS
ADEL: Draper
Melbourne: Armstrong.(They desperately need a proper key forward)
Gold Coast: Smilie. (I think they trade this for Rioli, where Richmond still take Smilie.

Leaves us to take two of Lalor, Langford, Travaglia.

I think we will be just fine. It all hinges on Melbourne taking a key position player.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ashcroft bid.
North: Trainor (they're absolute peanuts if they take another mid, can see them splitting this pick)
Gold Coast: Smilie. (I think they trade this for Rioli, where Richmond still take Smilie.

I think we will be just fine. It all hinges on Melbourne taking a key position player.

Fair call. North and Demons need talks. Would be surprise if they went for mids

Ashcroft bid.

I was about to post something similar without the draft speculation.
In the end we'll get access to at least 1 of the recognised top group, and by then it's getting to the point where the order predictions start to stray anyway.
Any 2 of the 3 you've mentioned would be a good outcome. Maybe we split that second pick, or maybe we even trade it.

The thing a lot of non-draft focused supporters don't understand is that there is a clear top 6 (in the context of our squad; FOS, Jagga, Draper, Smillie, Lalor, Langford) in the open pool and we now have picks 7 & 8 when we could've had 5 & 6 and been in the perfect position. I get the view that its only a slide of two picks, but I feel like that is extremely uninformed in the context of this year's crop. The gap between pick 6 and pick 7 is the same as what it was between Phillipou and Hollands (10 to 11) in 2022, and what it was from O'Sullivan to Gothard (11 to 12) last year - hence why the top-end is being labelled weak. We now have to rely on other clubs to take bolters to get a look into the top crop. Hopefully North Melbourne trade down at the top and take Trainor

PS. I'm excuding Reid from the top 6 because I don't see the fit for our club. People saw how slow our midfield was at times against the Blues - epitomised by Steele Stocker Clark in the same centre bounce. We need SPEED and POWER. Reid does not have that, as good as his skills are and as top-quality he is as a player. You can argue all you want for his case, but you are lying to yourself and coping hard if you think he is going to help us as much as a top 6 player would at this stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will north trade pick 2 for pick 8 and Adelaide’s second rounder? Will anyone ahead of us do that?
What about next years first to move up?
Absolutely no way. The gap between pick 2 and 8 is massive - a second round pick is not remotely close to compensating for that. A future first or pick 7 with a second rounder coming back makes more sense

Ahahaha so now we're scrambling to move up. Could've just lost today and been in the most optimal position but no, "culture-building" exercise against a undermanned side missing 2 coleman medallists aye? Saints never fail to make me depressed
It’s only football man, don’t worry about it. If you cant enjoy wins like that what’s the point anyway?

Absolutely no way. The gap between pick 2 and 8 is massive - a second round pick is not remotely close to compensating for that. A future first or pick 7 with a second rounder coming back makes more sense
Think what GM11 is getting at is is North are rhat super keen on Trainor they may think they can still get him with pick 8 rather than having to use pick 2 ... they could also then have another pick ... though our Adelaide 2nd round pick is probably too far back .... that said it's a consideration

North & Melb both need key forwards/defenders so the Whitlock boys or Armstrong come into play & on Melb 3 of there best are south of 30, Gwan,Viney & May
True. But they lost Brayshaw, viney is getting old and a question mark on track. They really need everything. They are the open question ?

Ahahaha so now we're scrambling to move up. Could've just lost today and been in the most optimal position but no, "culture-building" exercise against a undermanned side missing 2 coleman medallists aye? Saints never fail to make me depressed
Ah yes, because one suggestion on a nuffy forum = the club sCRamBLinG tO mOvE uP.

And yet Wilson is better than both.

I doubt you can tell yet. Wilson certainly looks a fantastic prospect but so do the others. All look on their way to being above average. Only time will tell how good they end up.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back