2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like the thought of taking a winger in the top 10. Wingers are role players and can be found late in drafts or on the scrap heap - Wood pick 41/DFA, Hill pick 33. None of the league's best wingers were early picks; Gulden p32, Daicos p57, D'Ambrosio mid-season pick. Unless we see Lindsay as an inside mid going forward, Id pass

Plus, we have Byrnes and Wilson who look like long-term wingers. Liam O'Connell potentially as a Wood replacement. Curtis Taylor under consideration. Plenty of options

Would MUCH prefer Travaglia
No I’m suggesting getting another top 15 pick not 7 or 8. Using F1.

The players' pick​

We asked 10 of the best junior players in Australia who they thought (not including themselves) would be taken at No.1 in this year's AFL national draft. Here's what they said.

06849886-m1vl9b5763.webp

Jagga Smith (pictured)​

Nominated: Josh Smillie

“When he’s at his best, I think Josh Smillie is the best player in the draft. It’s his ceiling, and what he could be. But if you want a sure player, I think you can go Levi Ashcroft – he’s as good as anyone.”

87777777-m1vlebs9hm.webp

Isaac Kako​

Nominated: Jagga Smith

“He’s really consistent. Someone’s got to do it, and it’s always him. I love watching him play and love playing with him – great player.”

20021221-m1vlgzm1fo.webp

Harry Armstrong​

“I think he’s got the work-rate and attitude, and it comes off in games.”

73538801-m1vlj6qj0j.webp

Alex Dodson​

Nominated: Sid Draper

“He’s an extremely hard worker, a great leader, and I think he’s going to forge a really good AFL career.”

58800808-m1vllx1f76.webp

Josh Smillie​

“Just his professionalism and the way he goes about it. He’s everything you want in a player as well. You could just see him being the perfect AFL player.”

69619182-m1vlnxsic9.webp

Jack Whitlock​

Nominated: Finn O’Sullivan

“Country boy, he’s just got that resilience about him. He hasn’t had the best year this year with injury, but his talent is through the roof. That was shown through his unreal bottom-age year, and even his 16th year, when he took out the medal as the best player of the championships.”

11835283-m1vlpqyiga.webp

Matt Whitlock​

“I think it’s going to be hard to pass on him, even though he hasn’t had the best year with injury. I feel like he’s such a special player, and he’s definitely someone who’s going to be a premiership player [in the AFL].”

89748797-m1vlrdok6b.webp

Sam Lalor​

“I reckon he’s got the highest ceiling. He hasn’t been at his best this year [because of injuries], but when he’s on, he’s the best player.”

01092997-m1vlu1q219.webp

Harvey Langford​

“I think he’ll suit a club really well, just with how he’s able to interact with the other boys and get around everyone. He’s a great leader, and an amazing player.”

82779709-m1vlvgz65w.webp

Finn O'Sullivan​

Nominated: Sam Lalor

“I think he should be one. He’d be an awesome fit for Richmond. He’s got a great mindset, and is a really powerful and explosive player. His footy talks for itself, and he’s also a really social person, so he will form some good relationships with coaches and players

No I’m suggesting getting another top 15 pick not 7 or 8. Using F1.
Point still stands. I wouldn't do it in the top 15 either. If we really wanted a winger, there are several good ones later in the draft including Moraes and Retschko at pick 25; and Hollow, Hopkins, Herbert in the later rounds

Let’s be honest fellas, if the draft plays out as per the whispers… Absolutely every chance it plays out as per the below. (Will change depending on pick swaps.)

1. FOS/Lalor - Richmond
2. Fos/Lalor - Richmond
3. Jagga - Eagles
4. Draper - Crows
5. Armstrong - Dees
6. Tauru - North
7. Smillie - ST KILDA
8. Langford - ST KILDA

Travaglia Lindsay Trainor & Reid still on the board.

Be borderline sackable not to throw everything at another pick between 9-12.
I can't see Eagles keeping pick 3 to be fair. I really think it will play out like this.

Eagles: 7, 8
Saints: 3, 14
Hawks: Barrass

Smillie could be as good as a pick 3 though, and pick 14 would mean we are relying on clubs not taking a Lindsay type who we think might slide.

I like the trade, but I am thinking there's a big chance we could be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

I reckon Dees will go midfield, their midfield might start looking pretty thin in the next couple of years once Petracca, Viney and Oliver either leave or get fat/old.

Tauru is an interesting one, this is probably embarrassing to suggest, but I wonder if North would entertain 2 & F1 for 7, 8 & our F1. Probably not the draft to do it in but Norths F1 would be super valuable.

I can't see Eagles keeping pick 3 to be fair. I really think it will play out like this.

Smillie could be as good as a pick 3 though, and pick 14 would mean we are relying on clubs not taking a Lindsay type who we think might slide.

I like the trade, but I am thinking there's a big chance we could be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

I reckon Dees will go midfield, their midfield might start looking pretty thin in the next couple of years once Petracca, Viney and Oliver either leave or get fat/old.

Tauru is an interesting one, this is probably embarrassing to suggest, but I wonder if North would entertain 2 & F1 for 7, 8 & our F1. Probably not the draft to do it in but Norths F1 would be super valuable.
We wouldn't do that. We need at least 2 first rounders this year, preferably 3. Shouldn't be selling stock in a draft as high upside as this one with how even it is

This doesn’t work. 14 is the key to the Baker deal.

So either they go from 3 to 6 + Baker or 14 straight up.

Whether we move or hold 7 and 8 depends on who you like in the draft and expect to be at our pick.

For mine, I don’t like Reid and expect him to be next in line at 8 or we reach a little for the Tavalia guy. So 8 seems a lot less valuable than 7 in my draft order. I’d be trading 8 and FF for 3 and 14, we’d be taking the same number of firsts to the draft and one would be high so I don’t see the risk of missed opportunity next year.

3 - FOS, Lalor, Jagga
7 - Smilie
14 - Hotton
Good scenario, but l don't see value for the other party in it.

I've had a sneaking suspicion for a few weeks that Smillie looks to be the most likely to land at pick 7 - can't see any of the clubs above us taking him unless Richmond get pick 6 and miss out on Langford or Melbourne go for him

I think it'd be a good pick, but I really hope we don't pick another slow mid at 8. Needs to be someone with run and spread - Langford, Travaglia, Lindsay. If Reid is available at 8, hopefully a club is willing to give up something to climb up so we can slide back and still take our first preference
Smillie would be an obvious take and very welcome. That pick 8 is an interesting one. I have the feeling Travaglia is very high on our radar, more so after the combine. Lindsey would also be excellent but you couldn't slide much with any assurance. The idea we could grab p9 is by far and away the bet scenario being floated.

Let’s be honest fellas, if the draft plays out as per the whispers… Absolutely every chance it plays out as per the below. (Will change depending on pick swaps.)

1. FOS/Lalor - Richmond
2. Fos/Lalor - Richmond
3. Jagga - Eagles
4. Draper - Crows
5. Armstrong - Dees
6. Tauru - North
7. Smillie - ST KILDA
8. Langford - ST KILDA

Travaglia Lindsay Trainor & Reid still on the board.

Be borderline sackable not to throw everything at another pick between 9-12.
Dees will go a mid for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dees who are desperate for a forward go a mid over the best tall forward in the draft?

Keep in mind, they there next pick will be 28 BEFORE bids.

They have already lost Ben Brown from their list.

I think Dees choose between

Langford
Armstrong
Reid

And kako would be an all time lol

Just think WWRD

What would Richo do?

Dees who are desperate for a forward go a mid over the best tall forward in the draft?

Keep in mind, they there next pick will be 28 BEFORE bids.

They have already lost Ben Brown from their list.
Theyve taken 1st round talls the last couple of years. Their world is caving in atm, l think they'll want to start building a new midfield.

Theyve taken 1st round talls the last couple of years. Their world is caving in atm, l think they'll want to start building a new midfield.
100% Brayshaw and Jordan gone, Petracca & Oliver future up in the air.

They are picking best midfielder available.
They took 2 mids last year.

Windsor and Tholstrup.

Petracca and Oliver will be there next year.

Look at their list. It’s very hard to see them go past Armstrong.

He would represent a huge need and wouldn’t be a reach

Travaglia looks excellent. Half back isn't a big need for us, but he looks as good as pretty much anyone I've seen footage of. He looks to have a similar running, loping style to Will Day and a similar intercept game to Callum Mills when he came through. He looks defensively solid and looks up for the scrap. I don't see any reason he couldn't transition into being a high quality midfielder.

Whichever players we take, they'll have to have the versatility to play elsewhere anyway next year. They won't come in and both get big midfield minutes. Would be very happy to take a Draper/Smilie type that gets through + Travaglia.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back