2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok people its looking very much like Essendon have backed themselves into a corner with Kako and their pick #9. If we end up with pick #9 who do we take -

#7 Smillie/Langford
#8 Travaglia/Reid
#9 Hotton/Lindsay

All can play midfield with Hotton and Langford, Smillie, Reid also forwards, Travaglia elite HBF, Lindsay wing.
7 - whoever is left out of FOS, Smith, Draper, Langford, Smillie, Lalor (assuming North takes KPP)
8 - Reid
9 - Travaglia

7 - whoever is left out of FOS, Smith, Draper, Langford, Smillie, Lalor (assuming North takes KPP)
8 - Reid
9 - Travaglia
Dare we dream of north getting 6 and taking the Viking and melbourne taking Armstrong and getting 3 of the 3 of fos, smith, draper, Langford, smilie, Lalor, Reid?

There is no way Essendon can trade-up into the top of this draft. They don’t have the draft capital.

They’re stuffed. They either have to trade-out (eg. [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] for F and a nd) or trade-back (eg. [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] for [emoji6] & [emoji6]).

The latter is possible.
What’s up with your posting mate?

Dare we dream of north getting 6 and taking the Viking and melbourne taking Armstrong and getting 3 of the 3 of fos, smith, draper, Langford, smilie, Lalor, Reid?
Don't tease me.

Melbourne could definitely go for Armstrong if it's a pure need pick - depends on what the Dees want to do. Top 5 is usually a best available pick rather than a list needs pick, so it would be a big call to pick Armstrong at 5.

Also if they're in the mix for Pick 11 from Freo it seems more likely they'll go for a mid at 5 and Armstrong at 11

if we were to acquire pick 9 from Essendon I would be opposed to do a deal with say west coast. Pick 7-8 for 3-14 leaving us with 3-9-14. 3 would be Draper/fos/lalor. 9 smillie/reid/lindsay/travaglia 14. Trainor/hannaford/lindsay. Pick up the bonafide midfield star at 3. Get another one of the left overs at 9 and get creative and target a player of need at 14 like Hannaford/trainor.

if we were to acquire pick 9 from Essendon I would be opposed to do a deal with say west coast. Pick 7-8 for 3-14 leaving us with 3-9-14. 3 would be Draper/fos/lalor. 9 smillie/reid/lindsay/travaglia 14. Trainor/hannaford/lindsay. Pick up the bonafide midfield star at 3. Get another one of the left overs at 9 and get creative and target a player of need at 14 like Hannaford/trainor.

Ideal situation imo

I like it especially if Lalor is on the board.

Don't tease me.

Melbourne could definitely go for Armstrong if it's a pure need pick - depends on what the Dees want to do. Top 5 is usually a best available pick rather than a list needs pick, so it would be a big call to pick Armstrong at 5.

Also if they're in the mix for Pick 11 from Freo it seems more likely they'll go for a mid at 5 and Armstrong at 11

They will be worried if we have 7, 8 and 9 then. It makes it easy for us to threaten to take anyones player because we have that extra pick for our needs + a cherry on top player like armstrong. Theyll have to take him at 5 he wont get through to them at 11

[emoji6][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="Mr Platinum" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
What’s up with your posting mate?

Using the Big Footy phone app. There is a bug with the app. They need to fix it.

Happens when quoting. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes the data is corrupted.

Bloody annoying. Sorry about that. I’ll try to limit the quoting.

They will be worried if we have 7, 8 and 9 then. It makes it easy for us to threaten to take anyones player because we have that extra pick for our needs + a cherry on top player like armstrong. Theyll have to take him at 5 he wont get through to them at 11
The Demons know we're not a real threat to take Armstrong. King, Sharman, Caminiti, even Membrey if he stays are all our tall forward options. Not to mention Ro pushing forward after we trade for Soldo. The Dees will know there's no list need for us to draft Armstrong at 7/8/9, we need mids and we'll pick at least two, then probably a versatile mid/defender or a key defender as the third.

However, I did completely forget that Richmond will have pick 10 after the Bolton trade, and Armstrong seems a pretty good target for Richmond, as they'll get two excellent mids at 1 and 6 and their tall forward options are grim.

There's a lot to play out, but we can only cross our fingers and hope 1) Melbourne don't get pick 11 and 2) they rate Armstrong highly and want to reach a bit instead of taking a mid

But we are only able to get pick 9 due to the threat we pose of making a bid with 7 or 8.

I don't see Essendon making the trade until draft night. There's a chance no bid is made and they get to use pick 9 which would be the best case scenario for them.

We'd only be getting a sweetheart deal if we agree not to make a bid. If we then go and trade the 2 earlier picks, they now have to hope West Coast won't make a bid.

There's no benefit to Essendon to trade 9 until the last minute.

The Demons know we're not a real threat to take Armstrong. King, Sharman, Caminiti, even Membrey if he stays are all our tall forward options. Not to mention Ro pushing forward after we trade for Soldo. The Dees will know there's no list need for us to draft Armstrong at 7/8/9, we need mids and we'll pick at least two, then probably a versatile mid/defender or a key defender as the third.

However, I did completely forget that Richmond will have pick 10 after the Bolton trade, and Armstrong seems a pretty good target for Richmond, as they'll get two excellent mids at 1 and 6 and their tall forward options are grim.

There's a lot to play out, but we can only cross our fingers and hope 1) Melbourne don't get pick 11 and 2) they rate Armstrong highly and want to reach a bit instead of taking a mid

I wouldn’t be mad at this haul

10 - Sid Draper
11 - Harry Armstrong
12 - Xavier Lindsay
45 - Adrien Cole
55 - Elwood Peckett
Rookie A - Lennox Hofman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfect,this would be the ideal option.

But we are only able to get pick 9 due to the threat we pose of making a bid with 7 or 8.

I don't see Essendon making the trade until draft night. There's a chance no bid is made and they get to use pick 9 which would be the best case scenario for them.

We'd only be getting a sweetheart deal if we agree not to make a bid. If we then go and trade the 2 earlier picks, they now have to hope West Coast won't make a bid.

There's no benefit to Essendon to trade 9 until the last minute.
We would obviously do the deal with Essendon before the west coast deal: the kako bid is alive and well Melbourne are real keen on him and I dare say we would just say to them if you don’t do it we’re going to bid anyway.

Yeah that and the ability to get space and dispose of it cleanly are the ingredients of a good midfielder. Height and size are nice but secondary to those skills. I still want a big guy for it's own sake so I'm locked in on Smillie and Lindsay now. Time to get the draft over with.
Dont mind this thinking at all.

Early days, but top 6 is perhaps some version of: FOS, Lalor, Smith, Draper, Langford & Tauru (with Melb at 5 the wildcard)

At 7, it feels like Smilie is the one who drops from that elite group, and gives us our 190+ explosive mid

Personally I really like the look and sound of Ried at 8. Seems like a really nice compliment to bigger guys like Pou and Smilie (was Metro MVP playing alongside the bigger mids). A good ball user who can play inside is a nice combo

To me, Lindsay is then that absolute bonus selection if we can wrangle 9 from the Bombers. That left leg looks absolutely elite. His flexibility means he can play from day 1. Allows us to keep building that elite outside ball use with NAS, Hill, Sincs etc

3 different and complimentary types who all seem elite in one facet of the game (strength, inside ball use and kick)

We will probably do something completely different, but that would be my take. Add Peckett, Hoff and Cole and that is a bloody well rounded group.

Irony is, our biggest list deficiency then is then at small forward. Makes the bid threat on Kako very real

Last edited:
Dont mind this thinking at all.

Early days, but top 6 is perhaps some version of: FOS, Lalor, Smith, Draper, Langford & Tauru (with Melb at 5 the wildcard)

At 7, it feels like Smilie is the one who drops from that elite group, and gives us our 190+ explosive mid

Personally I really like the look and sound of Ried at 8. Seems like a really nice compliment to bigger guys like Pou and Smilie (was Metro MVP playing alongside the bigger mids). A good ball user who can play inside is a nice combo

To me, Lindsay is then that absolute bonus selection if we can wrangle 9 from the Bombers. That left leg looks absolutely elite. His flexibility means he can play from day 1. Allows us to keep building that elite outside ball use with NAS, Hill, Sincs etc

3 different and complimentary types who all seem elite in one facet of the game (strength, inside ball use and kick)

We will probably do something completely different, but that would be my take. Add Peckett, Hoff and Cole and that is a bloody well rounded group
I was waiting to see if someone would post the same order as me.

Well done.

Perfect combo imo, all have a different elite quality.

C'mon pick 9.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn’t be surprised if Langford slides a little after poor combine testing. Could be regarded as another Will Setterfield type - as in too slow.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Langford slides a little after poor combine testing. Could be regarded as another Will Setterfield type - as in too slow.
Langford is a dirty pig that hunts like no tomorrow it will put him in good stead. Different players in there underage year only comparison is height. We could probably only afford to draft one of Langford or smillie.

Smith, Lalor and Draper seem like a pipe dream given Adelaide is before us and Richmond are so keen on Smith and Lalor apparently. But O'Sullivan, Smillie and Reid?

farmer-fran.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back