2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was ok with the idea of Smillie and Langford initially, but upon reflection it’s moronic

Speed is everything in the modern game, and the only mid we have that has any sort of speed is Windy and maybe Pou but he’s not an accelerating type

We are currently seeing no matter how much talent you have in your mids, if you don’t have speed then you’re always gonna be searching for it

Carlton have Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra yet they are still desperately climbing draft boards to claim one of the top mids with run and burst

Bulldogs had Bont Libba Macrae but sought out Treloar for the speed and gave a 3x AA the boot from the engine room

Freo had Brayshaw Serong Brodie Fyfe but kicked the latter two out to move Young into the mids along with cameos to Switkowski

Adelaide had All Australians Dawson Laird Crouch but kicked the latter two out for Soligo Rankine Zac Taylor

The list goes on

It’s Smillie or Langford, not both
1729040109010.png

I was ok with the idea of Smillie and Langford initially, but upon reflection it’s moronic

Speed is everything in the modern game, and the only mid we have that has any sort of speed is Windy and maybe Pou but he’s not an accelerating type

We are currently seeing no matter how much talent you have in your mids, if you don’t have speed then you’re always gonna be searching for it

Carlton have Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra yet they are still desperately climbing draft boards to claim one of the top mids with run and burst

Bulldogs had Bont Libba Macrae but sought out Treloar for the speed and gave a 3x AA the boot from the engine room

Freo had Brayshaw Serong Brodie Fyfe but kicked the latter two out to move Young into the mids along with cameos to Switkowski

Adelaide had All Australians Dawson Laird Crouch but kicked the latter two out for Soligo Rankine Zac Taylor

The list goes on

Don’t know if 100% agree with a total prioritisation of speed (not saying you go that far in this post) but overall agree that speed is becoming a more important part of the midfield mix.
This is why I’m super keen on hotton, mid forward with plenty of toe.

Don’t know if 100% agree with a total prioritisation of speed (not saying you go that far in this post) but overall agree that speed is becoming a more important part of the midfield mix.
This is why I’m super keen on hotton, mid forward with plenty of toe.
We need at least one mid who has pure leg speed. The Treloar to the Bont/Libba or the McCluggage to the Neale/Dunkley

Garcia could certainly be that but we can’t put all our stocks on him, that’d be irresponsible imo. Need another who can grow with him

Smillie/Langford at 7 and Lindsay/Travaglia at 8

Or

FOS/Lalor at 2 and Smillie/Langford/Lindsay/Travaglia at 7/8👀

Langford can absolutely football ... great size ... raking kick .... strong mark ... inside ball winner who can go forward and kick goals

To me Langford on pure football is probably the best this year. He didn't play a bad game in the champs and was consistent through the Coates league. The only downside was his testing which doesn't seem to hold him back. He probably projects like Cripps, tall, plays footy well but not athletically gifted or quick.

To me he's more guaranteed than Smilie or Lalor who have much more upside but take a bit of projecting to see the finished product.

We need at least one mid who has pure leg speed. The Treloar to the Bont/Libba or the McCluggage to the Neale/Dunkley

Garcia could certainly be that but we can’t put all our stocks on him, that’d be irresponsible imo. Need another who can grow with him

Smillie/Langford at 7 and Lindsay/Travaglia at 8

Or

FOS/Lalor at 2 and Smillie/Langford/Lindsay/Travaglia at 7/8👀

I agree with your Smillie or Langford assessment we cant afford both. Pick #8 will be the big question given the possibilities of clubs like Richmond & GWS being interested in getting it. If I had to pick between the two, I would chose Langford just because of his competiveness and hardness.

As an example if we got GWS picks #15 & 16 or Richmonds #11 & #20 it would give us the opportunity to take another mid/forward like Hotton or Hynes plus options like a small forward Berry, ruckman Dodson or key positional player Shanahan, Whitlocks twins. Lindsay might even slip out to the #11 or #15.

Last edited:
I agree with your Smillie or Langford assessment we cant afford both. Pick #8 will be the big question given the possibilities of clubs like Richmond & GWS being interested in getting it.

As an example if we got GWS picks #15 & 16 or Richmonds #11 & #20 it would give us the opportunity to take another mid/forward like Hotton or Hynes plus options like a small forward Berry, ruckman Dodson or key positional player Shanahan, Whitlocks twins. Lindsay might even slip out to the #11 or #15.

I like the idea of two promising choices over all the eggs in one ( probably not elite ) basket.

The list goes on

Smillie/Langford, Lindsay/Travaglia and that'll do.

I'm big on both Smillie and Langford. Reckon they are both elite on ball prospects that we have glossed over in previous drafts.

Speed on ball is great, but you also need to win it, which has been our issue forever and a day. Plus, it may not be that Harvey and Josh are in CBAs at the same time, and if they are, the third can be a Henry, Wilson, Garcia fast twitch type.

Honestly, either of them are going to be good. I think Smillie has more development needed to be the player he needs to be at AFL Level, whilst Langford almost just needs to continue on the trajectory he is going - much more self driven and his performances this year are almost unmatched (apart from Jagga).
Totally agree and the info I received was that St Kilda scouts and Ross were into Langford, Lindsay and Travaglia. Big body and classy users with run. Apparently Ross had a liking for Travaglia for his ability to run like Darcy alllll day and can play various positions.

Totally agree and the info I received was that St Kilda scouts and Ross were into Langford, Lindsay and Travaglia. Big body and classy users with run. Apparently Ross had a liking for Travaglia for his ability to run like Darcy alllll day and can play various positions.
Not surprised

Travaglia I've been hot on all year, he is one of the best endurance runners in the pool and he is so aggressive with ball in hand, Ross would absolutely adore him. Projected to be a long-term mid so solves a list issue, but easily could be a long-term replacement for Sinclair at HB if midfield doesn't work out (although I'm supremely confident it will with his attributes)

Question marks over his ball use which is why he isn't in the top rung but definitely a very solid foundation to build on especially if he just becomes a contested bull in the mould of Steele with more burst

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appreciate Ross's input but hopefully Dalrymple has final say. Ross might not be here past their first 3 years so preference for players who can come in right away is nice but wouldn't be the deciding factor for me.

We also badly need to draft another tall defender whether thats key or intercept/third tall. If we end up getting a 3rd first rounder or splitting 8 then taking Luke Trainor is less of a risk and he has massive upside.

Appreciate Ross's input but hopefully Dalrymple has final say. Ross might not be here past their first 3 years so preference for players who can come in right away is nice but wouldn't be the deciding factor for me.

We also badly need to draft another tall defender whether thats key or intercept/third tall. If we end up getting a 3rd first rounder or splitting 8 then taking Luke Trainor is less of a risk and he has massive upside.
Agree on Ross. Get out bud, not your role.

I'm big on both Smillie and Langford. Reckon they are both elite on ball prospects that we have glossed over in previous drafts.

Speed on ball is great, but you also need to win it, which has been our issue forever and a day. Plus, it may not be that Harvey and Josh are in CBAs at the same time, and if they are, the third can be a Henry, Wilson, Garcia fast twitch type.
I have been of the view that’s a poor pairing. But they’ve both got such upside that I’m changing my mind. Beast mode mids.

Are we still going to be in the hunt to get a potential gun midfielder or is our picks just slightly out of that range and we end up picking more the potential half-back/winger type?

Keep in mind we’ll be getting Cole and Hoffman.

Keep in mind we’ll be getting Cole and Hoffman.
Agree, but Luke Trainor is that Josh Battle type with even better foot skills and can take a very nice mark. I like Hoffman but he is still not quite a third tall sort of a hybrid. If we had a late first round pick I'd be inclined to take the risk.

Dylan Alexander (draft expert) has Xavier Lindsay ranked at #24 in power rankings and described him more as a cherry on top rather than 'the guy'

Interesting...
This was exactly my thoughts, if we are after him then lets maximise value and split.

7 - Josh Smillie / Harvey Langford
15 - Xavier Lindsay / Tobie Travaglia
16 - Luke Trainor

This was exactly my thoughts, if we are after him then lets maximise value and split.

7 - Josh Smillie / Harvey Langford
15 - Xavier Lindsay / Tobie Travaglia
16 - Luke Trainor
Or we try to get 10 or 11 with a future first. Richmond will want to move some picks into next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back