2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not his biggest fan. But I’ve grown an appreciation of him. Look at what I’m seeing

• look at where his bulk possessions are. In between arcs and through the centre
  • cleanliness of hands + he times his release of a handball so that it closes his space but releases a team mate.
  • He tries to go forward first. But keeps the ball in motion every time. He doesn’t take the rhythm or speed out of the game.
  • look at the speed of thought or ability to create scoring opportunities in contested situations.
  • Not a bull or a speed player. Yet adequate in contest. Hit up option throughout transition - back of square exiting D50, midfield transition and forward of centre.
  • hasn’t moved past a contest or waited for a soft touch. Happy to win clearance.

He just seems to be super consistent. Gets the ball, makes good decisions and uses it well. I don’t see how his skill set doesn’t translate into a very good AFL player.
If you look hard enough for long enough you can pick holes in any player. That’s why guys like Wilkie and Sinclair didn’t get drafted - too small, too slow. If he’s the best mid left at our second pick I’d be very happy taking him.

He just seems to be super consistent. Gets the ball, makes good decisions and uses it well. I don’t see how his skill set doesn’t translate into a very good AFL player.
If you look hard enough for long enough you can pick holes in any player. That’s why guys like Wilkie and Sinclair didn’t get drafted - too small, too slow. If he’s the best mid left at our second pick I’d be very happy taking him.
We’re not talking about whether he’s draft able or not, we are talking about whether he’s worth a top 10 pick in an even draft

Lindsay and Travaglia are guys around his mark that have unique skill sets and have an optimal set of attributes for the Ross Lyon running game

I just don’t get how people spend all season complaining about how slow our midfield is yet they want to draft a guy who literally never sprints away from stoppage

We’re not talking about whether he’s draft able or not, we are talking about whether he’s worth a top 10 pick in an even draft

Lindsay and Travaglia are guys around his mark that have unique skill sets and have an optimal set of attributes for the Ross Lyon running game

I just don’t get how people spend all season complaining about how slow our midfield is yet they want to draft a guy who literally never sprints away from stoppage
There is nothing to suggest Murphy Reid can’t run or doesn’t have those attributes.

He isn’t an athletic beast.

To be honest.

Bar Draper none of those top 7 look like they have gears they can go between when it comes to “pace”.

I’ll even argue outside of Draper. None of those mids are the type to CONSISTENTLY EXIT front of stoppage.

FOS will go one because he will get 20 touches and hurt you with 17.

Jagga just doesn’t hurt for the amount of disposals he gets. His first instinct is to go back or sideways. He is however the best in class ball pig with a massive engine that will let him play 85% on ball.

Langford is slow and lacks athleticism. But is a tall mid who can accumulate as good as anyone. Shown he can play inside outside and go forward and kick goals.

Smillie is your ultimate boom or bust prospect. Phenomenal numbers (like the rest) 195 cm. Kicks goals. But is there a mentality issue? Is the size a benefit at the current level or has he not yet learned how to use it?

And then Reid.

The reason he could go top 5 or top 15 is because he doesn’t have the athletic traits. But shit happens when he is around the ball. He kicks goals. Goal assists. Big midfield numbers.

Edited to add. I FORGOT LALOR.

He can exit stoppage. But like gringo. I’m not sure he is a pure mid or a mid first.
you had me at massive engine.

#getjagga

I can't see them going KPF again. Their ageing midfield and rebound run and small forward stocks need padding too.

I think theyd want a tall and a mid with the 2 top tens. So it probably depends on who they are happy to miss out on. Do they see the second string of mids being better than the second string of talls? May jump at Armstrong if they rate Lindsay or Reid, or they may jump at Langford if they rate Shanahan, as an example.

Bit of cat and mouse will go on with Dees, us, North and Tiges I reckon.

So if
1-tigers: Sam lalor
2-lions: Levi Ashcroft
3-Roos: Jagga smith
4-blues: fin O'Sullivan
5-crows: Sid Draper
6-Dees: Harvey Langford
7-tigers: josh Smillie
8-suns: Leo Lombard
9-dons: Isaac Kako
10-saints:
11-saints:

Who do we take?

Trade 10 to North for their F1. Trade 11 to Richmond for 13 & their F2. Trade our 13, 32 & our F1/F2 to GWS for their 3 selections.

Would leave us with North's F1, Tigers F2, 18, 19 & 24.

Convoluted but shows there's always options.

In reality though, a small slide or 2 would probably still net us a few of Reid, Lindsay, Allen, Hotton, Trainer etc etc - so it's not all bad.

There is nothing to suggest Murphy Reid can’t run or doesn’t have those attributes.

He isn’t an athletic beast.
I didn’t say he can’t run, I just said his attributes aren’t optimal. Not only do we need endurance, but we need damaging kicks and sprint speed

Can you imagine Dalrymple taking two slow mids when the glaring issue in our midfield is already lack of speed?

So let's say Brisbane's 27 and Essendon's 28 and 31 get used for points (among other picks for bids) all of a sudden pick 32 is 29. We could on draft night package a future first or 2nd up with 29 to jump up the order. Richmond have about 31 picks in the top 35 or something ridiculous.

Pick 32 + future 1st to Richmond for pick 11? or Pick 32 + future 1st to Richmond for picks 18 and 20 depending on who is still on the board?

Our pick 32 in this draft getting bumped up after 3 or 4 picks used up in bids could still be a pretty handy piece of a pick swap.

I didn’t say he can’t run, I just said his attributes aren’t optimal. Not only do we need endurance, but we need damaging kicks and sprint speed

Can you imagine Dalrymple taking two slow mids when the glaring issue in our midfield is already lack of speed?
I think you are wildly overplaying this.

There isn’t an elite burst player from stoppage at 7+8.

So no, I don’t agree about taking slow mids.

Reid is different to Lindsay and both are wildly different to Travaglia.

Lindsay is a half back/onballer.
Travaglia is a half back/wing
Reid will be a High HF/Onballer

To be honest.

Bar Draper none of those top 7 look like they have gears they can go between when it comes to “pace”.

I’ll even argue outside of Draper. None of those mids are the type to CONSISTENTLY EXIT front of stoppage.

FOS will go one because he will get 20 touches and hurt you with 17.

Jagga just doesn’t hurt for the amount of disposals he gets. His first instinct is to go back or sideways. He is however the best in class ball pig with a massive engine that will let him play 85% on ball.

Langford is slow and lacks athleticism. But is a tall mid who can accumulate as good as anyone. Shown he can play inside outside and go forward and kick goals.

Smillie is your ultimate boom or bust prospect. Phenomenal numbers (like the rest) 195 cm. Kicks goals. But is there a mentality issue? Is the size a benefit at the current level or has he not yet learned how to use it?

And then Reid.

The reason he could go top 5 or top 15 is because he doesn’t have the athletic traits. But shit happens when he is around the ball. He kicks goals. Goal assists. Big midfield numbers.

Edited to add. I FORGOT LALOR.

He can exit stoppage. But like gringo. I’m not sure he is a pure mid or a mid first.
Good summary. Just on, Langford, his speed time was eye opening. But then you watch him play and he just doesn’t look like that or play like that. Always on the move. Some guys (Coffield) test well, but don’t use it, but he’s the opposite.

I think you are wildly overplaying this.

There isn’t an elite burst player from stoppage at 7+8.

So no, I don’t agree about taking slow mids.

Reid is different to Lindsay and both are wildly different to Travaglia.

Lindsay is a half back/onballer.
Travaglia is a half back/wing
Reid will be a High HF/Onballer
Ofc they’re different types of players, that’s why I’m saying I prefer them over Reid. Why would I be arguing this if they were similar?

There are no elite players that suit our team at pick 8, that’s the issue and why we should trade up imo

If we do choose to stay put, Travaglia has showed in the CTL that he can burst from stoppage when playing midfield, so you are incorrect in saying there is no one with burst

Lindsay at least has leg speed and can break away from stoppage when fed the clearance. Can also cruise around the ground like Gulden does with his tank. Also proven that he can play mids in CTL and even Champs when he got a few cbas

As I’ve said multiple times, a combination of Pou Clark Reid Windy Dow Smillie/Langford* going forward won’t cut it against the best midfields and we risk falling into the Carlton scenario where we are constantly hunting for a fix

If we split 8 for 15,16 and took Smillie Reid Hynes/someone else with speed, that’s a scenario I’m ok with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good summary. Just on, Langford, his speed time was eye opening. But then you watch him play and he just doesn’t look like that or play like that. Always on the move. Some guys (Coffield) test well, but don’t use it, but he’s the opposite.
Wasn’t a knock.

I love the look of Langford.

Was just trying to be honest with the prospects at the top of this class.

So much talent. But they aren’t perfect.

My opinion here. But unless someone in this crop flys up the order. 8 gets you your choice of this group.

Which is why I’m all in favour of trying to turn 8 into 2 of these guys - if there isn’t a riser/slider on the night. Potentially 3 if we can swing 21 for 32 and maybe a F2nd

• Murphy Reid
  • Harry Armstrong
  • Jobe Shanahan
  • Luke Trainor
  • Tobie Travaglia
  • Bo Allan
  • Taj Hotton
  • Joe Berry
  • Xavier Lindsay
  • Oliver Hannaford
  • Jack Whitlock
  • Matt Whitlock

Probably missed some.

I’m not his biggest fan. But I’ve grown an appreciation of him. Look at what I’m seeing

• look at where his bulk possessions are. In between arcs and through the centre
  • cleanliness of hands + he times his release of a handball so that it closes his space but releases a team mate.
  • He tries to go forward first. But keeps the ball in motion every time. He doesn’t take the rhythm or speed out of the game.
  • look at the speed of thought or ability to create scoring opportunities in contested situations.
  • Not a bull or a speed player. Yet adequate in contest. Hit up option throughout transition - back of square exiting D50, midfield transition and forward of centre.
  • hasn’t moved past a contest or waited for a soft touch. Happy to win clearance.

He's so creative and quick thinking. I love him. He's what I hoped Hunter Clark would be. He creates opportunity.

Yeah he’s my tip to be a star.
His running patterns are really solid as well. He’s regularly involved in chains offensively and we’ve seen him get out the back on numerous occasions.

He may have tested slow earlier in the year but he’s busy around the ball, he’s not flat footed and is always on the move so that he can either receive or impact the lose ball and as you say, keep the ball in motion.

I think he ends up at Melbourne though as he compliments what is a really physical midfield group quite well.

Is Hotton speed worth looking at?

STRENGTHS:

• Agility
  • Clean hands
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Speed
  • Vertical jump
  • X-Factor

Hotton's speed off the mark is electric.

Is Hotton speed worth looking at?

STRENGTHS:

• Agility
  • Clean hands
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Speed
  • Vertical jump
  • X-Factor

Hotton's speed off the mark is electric.

Yes I really like Hotton but I think 8 is reach territory for him even though I wouldn’t be mad if we did. More a 12-18 guy so if we split pick 8, he’d be a target for sure

My opinion here. But unless someone in this crop flys up the order. 8 gets you your choice of this group.

Which is why I’m all in favour of trying to turn 8 into 2 of these guys - if there isn’t a riser/slider on the night. Potentially 3 if we can swing 21 for 32 and maybe a F2nd

• Murphy Reid
  • Harry Armstrong
  • Jobe Shanahan
  • Luke Trainor
  • Tobie Travaglia
  • Bo Allan
  • Taj Hotton
  • Joe Berry
  • Xavier Lindsay
  • Oliver Hannaford
  • Jack Whitlock
  • Matt Whitlock

Probably missed some.
Who's still there at 15 in your opinion?

7. Best mid
8. Best mid
32 and onward... Best available/Cole/Hoffmann/Peckett

Fin.

If we split 8, we can probably get a little more creative, but that’s as far as this needs to go.

And FWIW, speed of thought will always beat speed for speed’s sake.

The ball in flight moves faster than anyone runs anyway.

So after the trade period, this is our list of contracted players (I'm excluding Crouch at this point)

Seniors

B: Wilkie, Howard, Webster
HB: Sinclair, Caminiti, NWM
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Henry
F: Butler, King, Owens

Foll: Marshall, Mickroy, Phillipou
Int: Windhager, Stocker, Wilson, Clark, Garcia

Reserves

B: McLennan, Cordy, Schoenmaker
HB: Hastie, ***, O'Connell
C: Byrnes, Dow, ***
HF: *, *, ***
F: Keeler, ***, Collard

Foll: Heath, Jones, Hall

Membrey, Hayes, Paton and Hotton are all potential free additions to that list. Personally I think Hayes' body just won't hold up to AFL footy but I'd be happy to give the other three another year. Wouldn't blame Membrey for taking a longer deal if he can get it elsewhere though.

Immediate concerns where we need readymade support if we don't retain any of our uncontracted players: KPD, KPF, ruck

When it comes to drafting kids I'd say we need to take the two best mids available with 7 and 8, then go best available with our other picks this year and next. We need talent coming through in every area of the field.

So after the trade period, this is our list of contracted players (I'm excluding Crouch at this point)

Seniors

B: Wilkie, Howard, Webster
HB: Sinclair, Caminiti, NWM
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Henry
F: Butler, King, Owens

Foll: Marshall, Mickroy, Phillipou
Int: Windhager, Stocker, Wilson, Clark, Garcia

Reserves

B: McLennan, Cordy, Schoenmaker
HB: Hastie, ***, O'Connell
C: Byrnes, Dow, ***
HF: , , *
F: Keeler, ***, Collard

Foll: Heath, Jones, Hall

Membrey, Hayes, Paton and Hotton are all potential free additions to that list. Personally I think Hayes' body just won't hold up to AFL footy but I'd be happy to give the other three another year. Wouldn't blame Membrey for taking a longer deal if he can get it elsewhere though.

Immediate concerns where we need readymade support if we don't retain any of our uncontracted players: KPD, KPF, ruck

When it comes to drafting kids I'd say we need to take the two best mids available with 7 and 8, then go best available with our other picks this year and next. We need talent coming through in every area of the field.
I’m very much warming to Hammer as a permanent KPD. He’s athletic enough, has a solid dollop of mongrel, and has great hands.

Yeah he’s my tip to be a star.
His running patterns are really solid as well. He’s regularly involved in chains offensively and we’ve seen him get out the back on numerous occasions.

He may have tested slow earlier in the year but he’s busy around the ball, he’s not flat footed and is always on the move so that he can either receive or impact the lose ball and as you say, keep the ball in motion.

I think he ends up at Melbourne though as he compliments what is a really physical midfield group quite well.
If Melbourne grab him at 5.

Then Langford and Smillie would be ours at 7+8

• Murphy Reid
  • Harry Armstrong
  • Jobe Shanahan
  • Luke Trainor
  • Tobie Travaglia
  • Bo Allan
  • Taj Hotton
  • Joe Berry
  • Xavier Lindsay
  • Oliver Hannaford
  • Jack Whitlock
  • Matt Whitlock

Probably missed some.
It would be a reach but Hannaford would be at the top of mine from this list. Just loved the way he went about it. Looked dangerous forward, contested, can break from stoppage and a handy enough kick.

I think Travaglia is a lockdown defender if he can’t transition into the midfield which would make him a poor selection if I am right. I don’t think he kicks well enough for those rebounding halfback and wing roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back