2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
In mid August 2014 I was with Matt Rendell at Mordie Brae and he took a call. He came back to our table and said to us (4 of the 6 there were Saints supporters). Well your boys (recruiters) have a very interesting call to make. That was one of my guys (one of his ex Adelaide team as he had gone by then) and he said Paddy McCartin has just had a game where he looked like Johnno Brown.

He went on to say that he needed to see the last games to choose between him and Petracca. After we selected Paddy he wasn't particularly concerned that it was going to be a bust. He didn't have the concussion crystal ball...

The "cut and dried" has grown stronger over the years but it's like this year for number 1 it's just its between midfielders not mids and a KPF. It was obviously a bust in the end but a lot of arm chair re-writing.

RIP Big Matty

I think he is very balanced and what I like about him is that his game isn’t high flying or big pack crashing.

It’s about timing and touch.
He’s also improved significantly. The old top age U18 curve … whether that translates or not, who knows, but I wouldn’t be opposed either if you take a longer list build lens. (But give me mids 😛)

Yes it could be said that far too many words have already been spoken about the 2014 draft. This may be the draft thread but it's the 2024 frickin' draft thread. Give us all a bloody break!

Do I think this draft thread should be derailed by the choices made in a draft ten years ago?

200 (14).gif

STFU about Petracca and McCartin

It was literally a decade ago. No club is above making mistakes at the draft

move on

Saints Bubble(boy)

mzL4kbt.gif

He has a really high disposal average so just as likely as any of the 8+ candidates imo plus he's certainly the most gifted of the 8+ and maybe even has a couple of the top 7 covered on pure talent
Two things on Hotton though. He’s consistently referred to by experts as primarily a forward. His reviews last year and over summer were similar. To my own eye, he doesn’t look like a primary mid (but that’s IMO only).

But perhaps more so - I-assume you are looking at this year’s stats? his high average was from 3 games. Understandable that his bottom age Ave would be low and I’m not sure we have U16s stats. If people are comfortable with a small / high forward, then sure, he’s quick, agile, skilful. but there is a lot of complaining about taking non centre square mids and it may not be what we get.

Cal Twomey predicted McCartin at 1 only after it had become clear we were taking him there. His predicted phantom draft is different to his rating of players.. In his rating of players, Petracca was no. 1 all year.

The fact is that Petracca was consensus no. 1 all year. That is a fact.

As for us going for a KPF, I make 2 comments
1. The recruiters should know this: take best player available! The fact they did not is something they are responsible for

2. The facts about Tom Boyd has been overstated. Trout chose McCartin over Petracca based on his perception of their character, far more than on their position played. The club stated over and over that the player they brought in was not based on immediate needs, but for the long haul. Again, this is something the recruiters are responsible for. The fact is, Petracca has been a very very professional and dedicated player. So they got that part wrong as well
Nipe, go back and look through Twomeys draft predictions that year, even in July he had Paddy at 1.

I reckon about 75% of pundits had Trac at 1 so he Waa definitely the favourite, but it wasn't unanimous by any means.

Bulldogs had just sold the farm for Boyd, the idea was that if we didn't get a gun kpf at 1 we would be stuffed down the track. It was the wrong decision at the time and with hindsight, but it's not fair to say that Trac was in a league of his own or anything.

Who would you say out of Smilie and Langford is more extroverted? Less Clark-Membrey-Ross-Sinclair-Steele shy boy, more JDG-Dusty-Warner-Oliver big dog who craves the big stage and takes command rather than politely waiting to be given permission?

I know I'm a nuffie and I know f-all about either player, but for me the answer is Smilie and that's who gets my preference. But I'd appreciate the opinion of anyone who is better placed to judge the difference in this context.
Good point on personalities etc. We absolutely need leadership and some alpha. Even if you leave the latter aside, we are soooo far off the Roo / Lenny / Goddard type era of leadership and finger pointing.

Reminds me of all of the medya debating who “won” trade week, which is solely based on looking at the 1 player that comes in. Completely neglecting that a huge factor is confidence / club morale / playing style etc. “Collingwood got the best player in the trade period, so they are now back to a premiership chance”. Maybe they do, but it’s not because of one single player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back