Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to Geelong, they are such a well oiled, disciplined and well coached machine. Just when you think they are finally going to die they go up another gear.
I'm not sure Port could have done any more to hand it to them. Port midfield did not show up. Port fumbled all night. Port kicked it on top of the Geelong's defenders all night - and even worse, when they did this they were relying on Charlie Dixon to do something.

It is an amazing effort to make another prelim for the Cats. I did not see it at the start of the year.

I hate to say it about them, but it is very impressive that Geelong has stayed relevant for so long. They may not have won as many premierships in a compressed window, but they've put themselves in positions to do so.

They're the only team in the modern era that has stayed relevant through team generations.

It's depressing as I do want them to crash and burn, but they seem to be able to continually regenerate their list through shrewd talent acquisition and lower-pick drafting, a clear and well coached system and top level development.

That being said, I feel Hawks (aside from our now small rebuild) shares a lot of these traits thankfully!

I thought they would finally fall off a cliff with their veteran list, but then again this year, they regenerate huge parts with more young talent seemingly out of nowhere in players like Holmes, Dempsey, Humphries, Mannagh, etc.

I'm still holding out hope that once Danger falls off their list, they will dip - but honestly, until Scott departs and their coaching ranks have a big shakeup, I feel they will always pose a threat in September. Which sucks.

Urgh, complimenting them this much makes me feel gross - I need a shower 🤢
Its not that hard to stay relevant when you've got access to one of the biggest pools of talent , and that talent wants to play for the local team.

Imagine finishing second on the ladder. Playing a home final and playing like this. Disgraceful.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Port were 47 seconds of football away from finishing 5th whilst Hawthorn finish top 4. This year is so tight finishing 2nd is meaningless except the home final bit - 2nd team this year is no better than the 7th team.

Port just kept pumping the ball as long as they could into their forward line, they gave their forwards no chance, no lowering of the eyes, if that was their gameplan then it was lost in the coaches box.....

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is the dumbest strategy imaginable against Geelong

Port were 47 seconds of football away from finishing 5th whilst Hawthorn finish top 4. This year is so tight finishing 2nd is meaningless except the home final bit - 2nd team this year is no better than the 7th team.

I was more making the point that it’s a privilege to finish in the top four and the double chance. They’ve pi$$d one of them away. Their players and the coaching group took it for granted and thought they would just show up and beat Geelong. Well Geelong taught them a football lesson and Geelong are still very beatable as they tend to get ahead of themselves and their supporters are already claiming they’ll win the flag. But based on last night Port most undeserving to get another chance at home. You lose your first home final you should play away.

Anything short of a GF birth would have Hinkley right in the firing line, but you also wonder how safe Fagan is if Lion's campaign peters out. Both are chronically underperformed teams over many years now

This is the dumbest strategy imaginable against Geelong

It’s funny though, and what makes Geelongs dominance last night impressive is the fact they seem to routinely handle long ball tactics with ease without a really recognised gorilla tall defender. They’ve always handled it extremely well Chris Scott coached sides.

Henry? Kolodjashnij? Guthrie? Blicavs rarely spends a full game back there. They never get dominated in the air, even though it reads like they should. Its very impressive.

It’s funny though, and what makes Geelongs dominance last night impressive is the fact they seem to routinely handle long ball tactics with ease without a really recognised gorilla tall defender. They’ve always handled it extremely well Chris Scott coached sides.

Henry? Kolodjashnij? Guthrie? Blicavs rarely spends a full game back there. They never get dominated in the air, even though it reads like they should. Its very impressive.
They block really well off the ball so even though it’s a long high ball the oppositions forwards are generally out of position and it’s an easy kill for them.

On the flip side they get absolutely burnt on fast ball movement as they set up for the high ball and their defenders can really struggle when isolated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was more making the point that it’s a privilege to finish in the top four and the double chance. They’ve pi$$d one of them away. Their players and the coaching group took it for granted and thought they would just show up and beat Geelong. Well Geelong taught them a football lesson and Geelong are still very beatable as they tend to get ahead of themselves and their supporters are already claiming they’ll win the flag. But based on last night Port most undeserving to get another chance at home. You lose your first home final you should play away.

I reckon Harper, the local town was so cocky for the win at home that the players started believing the hype. Ill prepared, no fire in the belly and no answer for the cats. Humiliation and "bitch and slap' come to mind. Lost it before the game even started. They are so fragile now, reckon next week they will go down again. A sneaky suspicion that it will be our revenge game. Go Hawks.

They block really well off the ball so even though it’s a long high ball the oppositions forwards are generally out of position and it’s an easy kill for them.

On the flip side they get absolutely burnt on fast ball movement as they set up for the high ball and their defenders can really struggle when isolated.
Yeah they're very well drilled, but it definitely helped Geelong that Ratugolea is terrible and Dixon is cooked. Georgiades too, he was arguably the worst despite looking the most dangerous. Such an unnatural footballer, just so many things he involved himself in where Geelong took complete advantage - horrible turnovers, bodying his teammates out. Hard stuff to watch.

Port played themselves out of it for the first half and then, as seems to happen in finals, gave up at the end.

I don't believe Hinkley is the problem at Port. Anyone who thinks it's just a matter of appointing a new coach and everything will be fine is kidding themselves. If anything, Hinkley had done a top job getting Port to the finals time and again with what I consider to be a very ordinary list. They need to be almost injury free because their Reserves team in the SANFL is pathetic. Very little there to be excited about.

They have players who are getting a game based on name and reputation, rather than performance. Surely, we've seen the last of Dixon, and young Burgoyne is playing simply because of his name. He just trots around the park, picks up a few easy balls, and that's about it. Their drafting and recruitment have been very ordinary, and Hinkley has done well to keep them as competitive as they are.

They have no forward structure, Rioli has to compete for too many marks, and are totally reliant upon their midfield which let them down last night. I've often thought Rozee is a good player when allowed to play his own game, but when a team is screaming out for leadership when the going gets tough, he's nowhere to be seen. They need a tougher leadership group.

Port also has a total f-wit as President who wouldn't know the difference between a football and a golf ball. He blames the SANFL for Port Adelaide not doing well, but he chooses to ignore the fact that the SANFL saved Port from going under in the early years and have bent over backwards over the years to accommodate them. To this day, Port still owes the SANFL $15 million, a debt that will never be re-paid.

Agree, however, Geelong are now into a Prelim and we have to get over the Doggies and then the Power to get to the same place.

Regardless of how well/bad you play, you need the top four to launch into a prelim (hopefully and another week to rest) and set yourself up for a shot at the GF, rather than need to win three tough games in a row without a rest.

Having said that, we're the momentum team and if anyone can, we can.

I'm not sure Port could have done any more to hand it to them. Port midfield did not show up. Port fumbled all night. Port kicked it on top of the Geelong's defenders all night - and even worse, when they did this they were relying on Charlie Dixon to do something.

It is an amazing effort to make another prelim for the Cats. I did not see it at the start of the year.
There can’t be a person in Australia who doesn’t know you don’t bomb it long v the cats

Swans have been average for a while and GWS the opposite (other than the final round). Giants do rely heavily on their top tier, particularly Hogan, Toby, Green, Whitfield and Taylor.

Can’t see Scabs talls doing much damage but think their deeper midfield could trouble GWS. Limit Tom Green and they are going to struggle. Genuine 50/50 and impossible to tip due to the Sydney rivalry.

Brisbane will put Carlton to the sword. Like Dogs bringing in Harmes, it is desperation from Voss to bring in 6 guys from injury all at once. I think it backfires. Hope Docherty gets through the game as he deserves it.

Ok not being arrogant and looking too far ahead but want to get some expert opinions on which ground is going to suit our game style better? SCG or Giants stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back