Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct 100%. We are talking about an adult here that has a wonderful opportunity to leave one employer for another.

All the back and forth, we have been hearing about for 4 months and now it’s time to make the call and you are still floating in the breeze. Crazy.
The current media narrative, is that he hasn't made a decision.
That's being leaked.

Read into that anyway you want.

Why? Its bloody strange that a bloke who is leaving a club to go to the club he has supported as a kid would even be worrying about what their current club get for him. He's purely wanting more cash. If Hawks turn around and say "No we aren't paying you what Saints are offering" He's not just going to go "oh well, I'll still come" he's going to stay at the Saints cause he is offered more money/years.
Absolutely, Josh's manager is doing his job to get the best contract possible. Free agency period is still a long way away so clubs can feel free to add 0s till a signature is put down.

But Josh made his mind up when he walked away from the saints offer back in March and agreed in principle to ours.

Things could change, but at this stage the assumption should be that he's coming to Hawthorn. Otherwise he's have signed this new offer not have to stop and think about it until after Hawthorn finish finals and free agency opens.

If you believe this latest flurry of news about Saints upping the offer - it shows exactly why FA rules need an overhaul.

What is being described is basically 'matching a bid' in a restricted free agent sense to force a trade. But instead of a trade it's to force a compo pick.

Ultimately - the reason clubs don't match these bids in a restricted free agent scenario is that they'll usually end up with a player that has spent 12 months working out details and conditions and a relationship with a new coach etc. i.e. it would be dumb to be left holding the can with someone so far out the door.
That's the entire point of free agency though. For players to get as much money as possible and have freedom to move clubs without worrying about a trade.

Well, that sounds weird though. The saints have definitely been in his ear about what it takes to trigger band 1 compo. If not, then josh is looking for more dollars in his contract. If no one knows what triggers a band one compo then it's a endless pit , throwing darts to trigger it and that's not good business for the HFC. Dare I say, if josh wants to come to Hawthorn like he'd indicated a while back, he just nominated us with the current and rather fat contract and sits back and let the two list management teams work it out . Trust me TD, this has saints begging all over it.
Hawthorn don't need to worry about compensation picks. They just need an offer that gets a signature.

Josh Battle doesn't need to worry about compensation picks he just needs an acceptable contract and club of choice.

Stkilda though are in the desperate spot of him worrying about what compensation they might get and trying to bluff Hawks to up offer giving the public perception that he's undecided or likely to stay. Hoping and praying it gets to band 1 ranged but never really knowing if Hawthorn are going to still sign him on much less than their offer. Remember Amon got band 3 compensation for Port. Saints also need to be careful of bluffing too hard and having to keep him on too big a contract, when really they were greedy for a compensation pick.

And the talk of Josh wanting them looked after is absolutely nonsense. If that was the case he could sign a 1 year deal and they force a trade. Or better yet if he cares so much for them play another 6 there on minimum pay.

Correct 100%. We are talking about an adult here that has a wonderful opportunity to leave one employer for another.

All the back and forth, we have been hearing about for 4 months and now it’s time to make the call and you are still floating in the breeze. Crazy.
Time to make "the call" is October 6th.

But if he was staying it's whenever, if he's leaving (he is) it's October 6th. He may announce it before once Hawks with the flag though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear he won’t be going anywhere.

Sam loves Denver.

Sam thinks Denver is part of our long term plans.

I'm backing in Sam and his teams talent identification. They won't always get it right but they've been more right than wrong so far.

I hope you guys are right. If Barrass and Battle both join us, then I'd like to see DGB spend the pre-season training as a forward.

It's the other way. Josh wants the Saints looked after. I'd say it's a condition of him leaving. That's why this thing has swung in the breeze for so long. No one knows what triggers band 1.
Then maybe Josh can ask the saints to look after Hawks too and offer to trade for Morrison( so as to not dilute their compo pick).

Their pick 24 or F2 works fine.

We can restructure his pay for 1st 5 yrs to avg 900K & the rest he makes in Yr 6( avg 850k per yr). That should trigger Band 1

Then maybe Josh can ask the saints to look after Hawks too and offer to trade for Morrison( so as to not dilute their compo pick).

We can restructure his pay for 1st 5 yrs to avg 900K & the rest he makes in Yr 6( avg 850k per yr). That should trigger Band 1
They'd call that tampering.

They'd call that tampering.
Then Saints begging to up offer to trigger Band 1 is tampering too. That affects every club. as it pushes their next pick one step down.

Trading for Harry doesn't and valid reason given if they take him on as a FA, their compo will get diluted.

They need to get in Harry's manager's ear first and see if he is interested.

I'm hoping we keep him after his run in the 1st's.

I wonder if the club will look for a second winger also in the off season, CJ is ok but not sure he runs hard enough in the D'Ambrosio mould.

D'Ambrosio will I think equal Gulden in a couple of years if not next year.

It's the other way. Josh wants the Saints looked after.
Surely you can't believe what you're typing?

"You need to give me more...for the Saints, you understand? Personally, I'm happy, but the Saints, you see..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back