Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy we had a crack. We seemingly were open to paying a ridiculous amount to sway him. Love that we tried.

He always seemed like the loyal type plus let's be honest, besides big crowds why would anyone want to leave GWS atm.

If only Leon Cameron kept his job for a few more years.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Inevitable. Taylor was never going to leave for us, even if we were going to make him the highest paid player in the league. On the plus side at least we aren't going to use all our picks in a trade for him.

Also maybe we should just put this "war chest" in a long-term deposit account and be done with it.

I hope this could happen, but I am not holding my breath.
Same, not holding my breath we pick up anyone of note. We have all this apparent cash to spend, but don’t seem to offer massive contracts. We are not getting a star if we don’t offer something that blows their current clubs offer, or other interested clubs out of the park.

Same, not holding my breath we pick up anyone of note. We have all this apparent cash to spend, but don’t seem to offer massive contracts. We are not getting a star if we don’t offer something that blows their current clubs offer, or other interested clubs out of the park.

I think we were prepared to offer Taylor a contract that would have made him the highest paid player in the league. We offered McKay a huge deal too. We are willing to offer big money.

Taylor about to re sign on an 8 year thumper. Somebody say GWS and ambassador money in the same sentence.
Add him to the long list of players and managers who can thank us for driving up contracts

Until we get ourselves off the bottom rungs of the ladder, the big money offers are not moving many our way. Certainly not those already playing for contenders.

Add him to the long list of players and managers who can thank us for driving up contracts

Until we get ourselves off the bottom rungs of the ladder, the big money offers are not moving many our way. Certainly not those already playing for contenders.
it’s not just us who know how good Taylor is. North offered $20 mill over 10 years. West Coast $15 mill over 8 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it’s not just us who know how good Taylor is. North offered $20 mill over 10 years. West Coast $15 mill over 8 years.
Which further illustrates the point - players are not taking the massive dollars on offer from poor sides. They just use them to pump up their deals with stronger sides.

Pick purchasing is essential for equalisation.

Which further illustrates the point - players are not taking the massive dollars on offer from poor sides. They just use them to pump up their deals with stronger sides.

Pick purchasing is essential for equalisation.
I am not sure this is correct, but the point is made.

Wowee. I am guessing that teams are banking on the Salary Cap to be increased over the coming years if that kind of money is being thrown around.
Yep. The theory is by the end of the decade $2 mill a year will be what $1 mill a year is now. Of course there could be more financial crisis and that all changes so still a risk.

I am not sure this is correct, but the point is made.
When is the last time a gun, much sought after player went to a bottom 4 side ? I honestly can’t remember. It’s even harder for sides that have been down for several years, as opposed to a one off bad season.

Bottom sides are stuck with massive salary space because their lists don’t justify the salary cap floor. Pick purchasing should be permitted to assist with equalisation as the idea 15 years ago that greater player movement will help due to weaker sides having more cap space has not eventuated.

Inevitable. Taylor was never going to leave for us, even if we were going to make him the highest paid player in the league. On the plus side at least we aren't going to use all our picks in a trade for him.

Also maybe we should just put this "war chest" in a long-term deposit account and be done with it.

Yep this is why plugging gaps with FA isn’t going to work as players only want to come if you’re successful.

And we aren’t going to rise until we fill the gaps, drafting is still the best way to build a list to rise then top up with FA not before.

Once you have a base top up and keep the list going with FA as much as you want but keep an eye on the future with draft picks also.

When is the last time a gun, much sought after player went to a bottom 4 side ? I honestly can’t remember. It’s even harder for sides that have been down for several years, as opposed to a one off bad season.

Bottom sides are stuck with massive salary space because their lists don’t justify the salary cap floor. Pick purchasing should be permitted to assist with equalisation as the idea 15 years ago that greater player movement will help due to weaker sides having more cap space has not eventuated.
It doesn't happen because player movement is far more restrictive here .
Less mechanisms for teams to use and obviously the contracts are less .
Most pro sports will restrict top teams acquiring FA's too unless they lose players to do it .
AFL did not think it through properly when it was bought in .

Pick purchasing I think would be a game changer for low sides with cap space but feels like they are dragging their feet bringing it in

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back