Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I always find it funny how worked up people get by jurnos reports about player movements half way through the season.

It might be true. But how often is it?
About the same success rate as Bigfooty posters. After all what is a sports journalist but a professional Bigfooty poster?

The whole pick purchasing scenarios, would you trade a mill for a pick in the late teens? You probably would.

And now I'm looking at the Battle situation, as a trade he is probably worth a late teens pick and salary he is worth a good contact but not a huge one.

We have the salary to front end so in a way we could effectively bump battles contact up around a mill and get him for free, another way you could look at it purchase the pick you need to trade for him.

So 750k per year over 6 with an extra mill up front making it 900k per year. Saints get band one and get overs payed by the AFL.

He was never leaving. Surprised at how much media attention it got.

Feel the same about Perryman. Only a matter of time before he extends at the Giants.

If we miss out on Battle and Smith I'm very curious to see where we turn our attention.

Apparently the multipe years for Buddy before it became fashionable a decade later didnt raise any concern regarding fairness. And this was also before the monstrous salary cap rises. It is a joke and another form of handicapping, not equalisation, but handicapping.

And before anyone tells me 19 was all we could get because we were premiers, that is crap. There were clauses back then that would allow intervention and a far fairer compensation to us, that would no doubt be utilised today for the 'right' circumstances.

Otherwise, why the **** have that clause. How else would it ever come into play, if the Buddy FA compensation wasn't an exceptoinal circumstance.
And people forget Geelong got a special draft pick when ablett went to suns I know it was in setting up a new club, but at the time they had powers to give more. It was effectively a free agent move at the time.
My biggest gripe with compo is that every other club suffers from this by going down a spot in the draft through bad list management of another.
I think ultimately compensation should be scrapped. You lose a player you go out and get a player. Simples.

I think ultimately compensation should be scrapped. You lose a player you go out and get a player. Simples.
I would be happy with that if they were to announce it years in advance so that Clubs know it is a change that is coming. Would mean there is no opportunity for more AFL manipulation. But, as much as they like to talk about it, they see it is another equalisation meaure, hence no change. Not unless the clubs really make a strong push for it.

Also, when we “lost out” on Bruhn we used that pick on Weddle. The HFC will be ok.
Exactly!

The Cats are welcome to keep themselves on the fringe of finals by refusing to rebuild properly. That might win them one flag in fifteen years, while the media fawns over them over their multiple finals appearances during that period.

We, on the other hand, will (re)build to win multiple flags during our own windows, even if our net number of finals appearances might not match theirs.

Flags matter a heck of a lot more than finals - and we know which club is the modern-day champion at winning flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph just on Foxfooty saying Battle increasingly likely to join us.

Don't think he realises that Battle is a UFA said he's a RFA and that the Saints should match.

Why let the truth get in the way of a story.

We went from signing free agents like Hale , Gibson and Lake to needing to trade for UFA.

Let’s hope Jordan Roughead can get it done 🥴

Jon Ralph just on Foxfooty saying Battle increasingly likely to join us.

Don't think he realises that Battle is a UFA said he's a RFA and that the Saints should match.

Now that it’s positive reporting on the Hawks I believe him.

Ralph wrote that '16 reasons' article a couple of weeks ago.

Biggest Hawthorn positive fluff piece in years
But he’s reporting Cat’s are likely for Baz. I am pick and choosing what I think he is right about. ;)

Edit: Nevermind, that was Jay Clark, I’m wasting everyone’s time here with shit jokes and misinformation.

I can finally enjoy all this speculation again as our season is alive.

Would be great to get Battle and Smith, however not the end of the world if they choose to go else where.

We’re not a top 4 team yet, but our incline is on a upward trajectory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back