Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lewis wanted to leave the Giants would he the team to deal with… As they are loaded with draft picks and have Max Gruzewski.
Why would they want Lewis though? Cadman coming, Hogan, Riccardi, Brown etc not exactly a position of need

Plus would need enough cap space to turn Lewis’ head

Seemingly Brisbane has known for 12 months that Daniher might be retiring so there should be contingencies in place for them now would think. At least conversations would have been had already

Amusing that some posters who had absolutely hammered others for suggesting Lewis might be traded during the year have gone quiet on that following one RnL post!

For me, I would prefer to keep Lewis as he’s a 25 year old contracted key forward whose best footy is really good. But his durability is terrible and we did play our best footy in years with the small, fast forward line with great defensive pressure this year.

A great offer would be worth considering but it would need to be a great offer. If a club wants to buy low because he’s injured, there should be no interest in that. He’s contracted. To prise him out a club would need to be willing to overpay as we are going to have to with Barass. Even more so if it involves strengthening a premiership challenger. Hawthorn would need to significantly benefit from a deal to offset improving a strong side that just won the flag

I think our main focus is to keep the players that we have so they all come through and play plenty of games happily ever after together and then we top up the list with youngsters that we can develop patiently. Thats the Hawthorn way!

My observations are that our game plan has changed a bit since Lewis has had a decent stretch in the team. Most of our scoring in 2024 hasn't been through the big tall fwd taking lead up marks out at the 50. I get the feeling that Mitchell has made the moneyball assessment that the most efficient method of scoring is to get the ball to ground deep in the forward line which means that the tall forwards main job is to halve contests and make space for the mosquitos. One of Chol's big assets is his ability to halve the contest and then take possession of the ball and be nibble enough to do something productive with it that leads to a score. Dear is much the same. Even if he doesn't take the mark he is very adept and dangerous at ground level. Lewis is going to have to adapt his skill set to that system if he's going to really be an asset to the team because in the games where he did play all the ball movement seemed to be happening around him rather than through him.

I disagree.

Heard a podcast where Mitchell was talking about what makes players great players, he said it was the players that had more options to navigate situations.

I am sure that he applies the same philosophy to a team. If the hard spread by our mids and small forwards forward of centre and then ground balls in the forward line is shut down, like it was in the semi final, if they have a different game mode that is effective they can switch things up during the game. Also makes it more effective to switch back to plan A to catch opposition off guard.

Mitch Lewis was what this team was screaming out for at times. Chol is just not a very good down the line bail out option. He's great at many other things, but his limitations there really hurt Hawthorn in big games this year. He should be popping up in space behind the main target, beating his opponent at the fall of the ball and exploiting mismatches.

I think Lewis when fit is in the top echelon of tall forwards in the game, currently. He could easily bob up for a Coleman and lead the league in F50 contested marks with a full season and pre-season. At 25, how many fit years does he have in him? 2? 7? 0?

This has sell low written all over it, if there are any legs...

A mutual friend of mine and RoughandLove told me last night Mitch was unhappy at the club.

I didn't put much weight in it but maybe there's something in it
I can't speak from Lewis' perspective, but we were most unhappy with his presentation to start of pre-season, along with his attitude and effort during preseason last year.

That said, we've been impressed with how he's tackled his ACL recovery.

Trade 13 and F1 for Barrass and Eagles pick 23 then trade pick 23 and 67 with Lewis to Lions for 18 and future 1st. 23 and 67 gives the lions roughly the same amount of points as 18. Gives us pick 18 and e keep pick 30 this year and gives us a 1st round next year! Would Brissy do it?

Trade 13 and F1 for Barrass and Eagles pick 23 then trade pick 23 and 67 with Lewis to Lions for 18 and future 1st. Gives us pick 18 and e keep pick 30 this year and gives us a 1st round next year! Would Brissy do it?
Almost certainly - it means they'll probs win B2B flags, whilst weakening our chances of challenging them for 2-4 yrs.

They'd be mad not to do it. About as mad as we would be to do it.

Trade 13 and F1 for Barrass and Eagles pick 23 then trade pick 23 and 67 with Lewis to Lions for 18 and future 1st. 23 and 67 gives the lions roughly the same amount of points as 18. Gives us pick 18 and e keep pick 30 this year and gives us a 1st round next year! Would Brissy do it?

Melbourne has pick 5 and need a forward. Lewis and X for Dees pick 5?

I would rather keep Lewis but if he is pushing to leave we have to get the best deal.

If it happens I can see it being a player for player swap, Lions have too many free hits in the draft they need points for. Zac Bailey would suit our game style and likes playing on the G. Who knows if this will go anywhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's lots of speculation in here about Lewis wanting out of the club, however, there has been no trade request from him and I don't expect that there will be.

The Lions have contacted his manager, like most clubs do when they are looking at a specific player to join them. His manager listens to the offer, like any good manager does. I strongly believe that there'll be no trade request from Mitch.

Last edited:
Current tall forwards:
Mitch Lewis
Mabior Chol
Calsher Dear
Jack Gunston (3rd tall/final season)
Max Ramsden (FWD/Ruck)
Jasper Scaife (Developing)

Potential tall forward options:
Josh Weddle
Will McCabe

IMO we would be better off holding onto Mitch Lewis, with the hope of getting his body right, as there aren't many proven tall forwards on our list.
Calsher Dear looks the most promising prospect at this point. Mabior Chol is a very nice athletic Forward/Ruck option. The rest are unproven.

Gunston will be gone. Scaife is still a long shot to make it. Whilst Ramsden may struggle to get games unless he can surpass Chol, or Meek.
 Although I do get excited at the prospect of Weddle in an attacking position.

Amusing that some posters who had absolutely hammered others for suggesting Lewis might be traded during the year have gone quiet on that following one RnL post!

For me, I would prefer to keep Lewis as he’s a 25 year old contracted key forward whose best footy is really good. But his durability is terrible and we did play our best footy in years with the small, fast forward line with great defensive pressure this year.

A great offer would be worth considering but it would need to be a great offer. If a club wants to buy low because he’s injured, there should be no interest in that. He’s contracted. To prise him out a club would need to be willing to overpay as we are going to have to with Barass. Even more so if it involves strengthening a premiership challenger. Hawthorn would need to significantly benefit from a deal to offset improving a strong side that just won the flag

RnL literally only posted two words.

It doesn't mean it's happening. Or that we're entertaining it. It could quite simply mean Brisbane are asking the question.

Agreed, if WC did that I would stop supporting them.
Nobody on our site wants Graham in the first place.

He is a handy type run of the mill player that has had his market value pumped up due to playing in a succesfull era.

Strengths
Puts his head in the hole
Keeps chugging away late in games

Weaknesses
Average foot skills
Lacks pace

Value 500-550k year max.

In fairness the end of our season showed that Lewis could be more of a luxury than we had previously considered. Particularly with Calsher’s meteoric rise. I’m willing to consider a Lewis trade but I’d want a decent bounty in return.

Current tall forwards:
Mitch Lewis
Mabior Chol
Calsher Dear
Jack Gunston (3rd tall/final season)
Max Ramsden (FWD/Ruck)
Jasper Scaife (Developing)

Potential tall forward options:
Josh Weddle
Will McCabe

IMO we would be better off holding onto Mitch Lewis, with the hope of getting his body right, as there aren't many proven tall forwards on our list.
Calsher Dear looks the most promising prospect at this point. Mabior Chol is a very nice athletic Forward/Ruck option. The rest are unproven.

Gunston will be gone. Scaife is still a long shot to make it. Whilst Ramsden may struggle to get games unless he can surpass Chol, or Meek.
 Although I do get excited at the prospect of Weddle in an attacking position.
I can't believe anyone is considering this! Mitch Lewis is nearly our most important player, structurally at least. Posters bemoan the lack of a marking presence in our forward half during the finals and yet here is talk of moving on the one player on our list who might actually be capable of providing just that! We suddenly find ourselves in a position to contend and people want to move on the way not player we have who might be capable of a Daniher or Hogan-type performance.

Maybe we have done our business too early in the trade period and so we are all just filling the vacuum with these sort of conjectures.

He is a handy type run of the mill player that has had his market value pumped up due to playing in a succesfull era.

Strengths
Puts his head in the hole
Keeps chugging away late in games

Weaknesses
Average foot skills
Lacks pace

Value 500-550k year max.
👍🏼
The 2 weakness’s that don’t suit our style

In fairness the end of our season showed that Lewis could be more of a luxury than we had previously considered. Particularly with Calsher’s meteoric rise. I’m willing to consider a Lewis trade but I’d want a decent bounty in return.
As good a first season as what Calsher had I think it's important to recognise that season 2 might not go as smoothly for him as he is still pretty much a kid. I am by no means saying that he's not going to be an awesome but rather that the rest of the comp now have game tape of him now and will be able to plan for him a lot better.

We all want him to take off and hit the ground running next season but we also have to be prepared to cut him a little slack if he hits a slump in his sophomore season which has happened to many a gun players before him and will most certainly after him.

As for Mitch Lewis I just cannot see any team willing to give up what the HFC would feel he is worth at full flight and rightfully so because he just hasn't been able to have a good run at it. The only way I'd even consider it is if we know we're keeping our F1 and Brissy gave us their F1 and the long play for us was that we had another KPF in our sights next offseason. Pretty sure others have already mentioned that Brissy need to keep a hold of their F1 so as far as I'm concerned without it there's nothing more to discuss because unless they're will to give us one of McCluggae or Lohmann they can GAGF.

ice-cube-bye-felicia.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back