List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He was already considered undersized at the time, 20 years ago, and our lack of a true key forward is often referred back to as a reason why we won nothing in that run.

Today, the bar is even higher.
i reckon tyler is faster than scott and he's definitely better built

i have no fears he will make it at afl level if he 100% applies himself mentally

i reckon tyler is faster than scott and he's definitely better built

i have no fears he will make it at afl level if he 100% applies himself mentally

He's not going to be a key forward at AFL level though, which is why he appears certain to drop all the way down to the 30s or 40s on draft night

If Welsh is 191, that's fine. Might still have another 1-2cm in him too.
Jack Darling is listed at 191.

also, anyone stressing over height needs to get a ruler or measuring tape out, and just consider how little 1-5cm really matters.
That discrepancy in height is absorbed (and then some) by natural footballing ability (making space/separation, reading the flight of the ball, timing, and good hands), strength, and speed.

Wonder if we decided not to take Moir last year at 21, knowing that Welsh (another med forward) was coming in 2024

It's very unlikely, especially seeing football leaves little room for future planning. More we just didn't rate something in Moirs game or makeup enough to be willing to take him over Oscar Ryan.

also, anyone stressing over height needs to get a ruler or measuring tape out, and just consider how little 1-5cm really matters.
That discrepancy in height is absorbed (and then some) by natural footballing ability (making space/separation, reading the flight of the ball, timing, and good hands), strength, and speed.
Bet Mrs whattagun disagrees

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have Thilthorpe though

Sure, but that also means he won't be playing as a key forward for us.

I'm not saying getting him is a bad thing, and I'm not saying he definitely won't have an AFL career, I'm saying that he won't be an AFL KPF, and that being undersized for his skillset is why his draft rating has dropped right off.

It's not just about the height, it's about how everything else scales up with height - a 7.5cm difference in height (compared to the typical minimum height of emerging KPDs) makes for roughly double that difference in wingspan, and when you're sticking your arms up in the air the difference becomes much more pronounced. Some aspects of that can be overcome with superior athleticism, in particular standing and running verts, which is how Naitanui could hurdle leaden lumps like ROB, but practically speaking guys with that kind of advantage are rare.

e: Not saying Naitanui was too short, just that he's an example of a guy with springs for legs

Last edited:
If Welsh is 191, that's fine. Might still have another 1-2cm in him too.
Jack Darling is listed at 191.
Some players play taller than others too... particularly if a good mark overhead.

Sure, but that also means he won't be playing as a key forward for us.

I'm not saying getting him is a bad thing, and I'm not saying he definitely won't have an AFL career, I'm saying that he won't be an AFL KPF, and that being undersized for his skillset is why his draft rating has dropped right off.
Isn't he the same height as fog?

Recent trades for players around the age of Neal-Bullen at the time of the trade

Taylor Adams - pick 33
James Harmes - future 3rd
Brodie Grundy - pick 46 + future 2nd
Shane McAdam - future 2nd
Jack Billings - future 3rd
Lachie Hunter - future 3rd
Rory Lobb - pick 30 + future 2nd
Tom Mitchell - pick 41 + pick 50
Jaeger O'Meara - future 2nd + Lloyd Meek
Blake Acres - future 3rd
Ben Brown - about pick 31
Kyle Hartigan - future 4th
Adam Treloar - virtually nothing
Josh Bruce - pick 31 + 51
Hugh Greenwood - future 3rd + future 4th
Alex Keath - future 2nd
Jack Steven - pick 58
Taylor Duryea - future 4th
Travis Colyer - future 4th
Gary Rohan - pick 61
Tom Scully - future 4th
Jordan Roughead - pick 75

From what I could tell, pick 25 would be among the most paid in five years for a player 28+ years old
sounds Accurate

It's not just about the height, it's about how everything else scales up with height - a 7.5cm difference in height (compared to the typical minimum height of emerging KPDs) makes for roughly double that difference in wingspan, and when you're sticking your arms up in the air the difference becomes much more pronounced. Some aspects of that can be overcome with superior athleticism, in particular standing and running verts, which is how Naitanui could hurdle leaden lumps like ROB, but practically speaking guys with that kind of advantage are rare.

e: Not saying Naitanui was too short, just that he's an example of a guy with springs for legs
It's pretty clear he's not suited to standing under a high ball and trying to outpoint Harris Andrews.

If you can find space for a lead and extend the arms (far too many players try a chest mark which negates a big advantage) it doesn't matter how tall you are really.

Of course this relies on a midfield that can actually deliver a ball on a lead and a well coached forward line that can create some space. So very understandable he's dropping down the board.

Scorpus do you mind doing a depth chart with our list ?
Just feels like we should be taking a tall forward this draft along with pick 4 mid and Welsh
A ruck and a small forward (in the Stengle mould, ANB is mostly a half forward) are our next priorities.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back