List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Most clubs do though. If Gawn goes down for Melbourne (he never does though), they are playing Tom Campbell. I think the biggest mistake has not been upgrading Strachan.
I get that, and agree the biggest current issue is not upgrading Strachan.

Melbourne do have Tom Fullarton and Will Verrall developing on their list though. We don't have any pure rucks under 28 (T.Murray as more of a FWD who can chop-out).

Whether they are 19 or 22, I'm not as fazed - but we should be making room for one more IMO.

If ROB goes down, he'll go on the LTI list and we'll grab someone in the midseason draft.

If it happens later in the list, we'd probably run with Toby Murray and Thilthorpe, and have a more mobile setup.

I find it hard to get stressed about rucks, considering how little influence they seem to have on whether your club is a success or not.

I would have rather we had someone maybe three or four years younger than Rob as his backup, but I'm not in love with drafting rucks. It takes six years til they start contributing, you might as well go buy one.
You mean like grabbing Moyle in the midseason draft over Parnell?

So why haven’t we bought one when ours suck and the coaches agree? I thought it was so easy….oh that’s right Moyle knocked us back.

Hmm we’ve dropped ROB 2 years running, forget about injuries.

And given he’s our main ruck, we carry him for games when in bad form, we aren’t just dropping him after 1-2 bad weeks. Don’t agree? He hasn’t made the top 10 of our B&F for 3 years and this year despite playing a majority of games.

How we’ve continued to accept having a poor ruck is insane given we’ve tried to improve all other areas of the list and club.
Well if the rumour about English is true it seems we are at least acknowledging that we need to move on from ROB sooner rather than later. Unfortunately we are after Sam Draper too, will purely come down to whether the Crows offer too much for Essendon to match (which I'm worried will happen). He's happy at Essendon, but the money coming from the Crows is turning his head and making him think twice.

I get that, and agree the biggest current issue is not upgrading Strachan.

Melbourne do have Tom Fullarton and Will Verrall developing on their list though. We don't have any pure rucks under 28 (T.Murray as more of a FWD who can chop-out).

Whether they are 19 or 22, I'm not as fazed - but we should be making room for one more IMO.
Melbourne don't rate either of those two though, Goodwin even said that neither were up to the standard when Gawn was injured last year and they played Petty as a ruck. Toby Murray can be a genuine ruck/forward, very interested to see his development in 2025 in the ruck.

Well if the rumour about English is true it seems we are at least acknowledging that we need to move on from ROB sooner rather than later. Unfortunately we are after Sam Draper too, will purely come down to whether the Crows offer too much for Essendon to match (which I'm worried will happen). He's happy at Essendon, but the money coming from the Crows is turning his head and making him think twice.
So you’ve got admit we are morons

Melbourne don't rate either of those two though, Goodwin even said that neither were up to the standard when Gawn was injured last year and they played Petty as a ruck. Toby Murray can be a genuine ruck/forward, very interested to see his development in 2025 in the ruck.
Will Verrall also tested very very very poorly in all the endurance testing in his draft year

Hmm we’ve dropped ROB 2 years running, forget about injuries.

And given he’s our main ruck, we carry him for games when in bad form, we aren’t just dropping him after 1-2 bad weeks. Don’t agree? He hasn’t made the top 10 of our B&F for 3 years and this year despite playing a majority of games.

How we’ve continued to accept having a poor ruck is insane given we’ve tried to improve all other areas of the list and club.
Last 10 premiership ruckman
Darcy Fort
Mason Cox
Rhys Stanley
Max Gawn
Toby Nankervis
Toby Nankervis
Scott Lycett
Toby Nankervis
Jordan Roughead
Brendan McEvoy

Only Gawn is class as a dominant ruck. Don’t need a great ruck

Not wishing a serious injury on anyone, but if ROB did go down, the club will cop what it deserves. Any gains we’ve made will be wiped away if we don’t have a ruck at all and Strachan clearly isn’t an AFL ruck
Strachan did okay in previous stints. Didn't look fit this year in his AFL games. Wonder if he had any injuries??

I don't lose sleep over rucks tbh, but agree we should have at least replaced Strachan well before this season and had someone that could genuinely challenge ROB for the number one spot.
And always a young development ruck coming through until we're certain they're never going to be our lead ruck at which time we replace them with another youngster. Other clubs do it why not us? Dante Visentini down the road looks almost ready now going on his AFL exposure this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ROB goes down, he'll go on the LTI list and we'll grab someone in the midseason draft.

If it happens later in the list, we'd probably run with Toby Murray and Thilthorpe, and have a more mobile setup.

I find it hard to get stressed about rucks, considering how little influence they seem to have on whether your club is a success or not.

I would have rather we had someone maybe three or four years younger than Rob as his backup, but I'm not in love with drafting rucks. It takes six years til they start contributing, you might as well go buy one.
Our season will then be over before the mod season draft... or what if ROB goes down after it?

We are even more vulnerable now Berg has left as imo he was our next best option.

Given Strachan can't run out 4 quarters of AFL, what is the point in having him on our list? Just get someone else.

Last 10 premiership ruckman
Darcy Fort
Mason Cox
Rhys Stanley
Max Gawn
Toby Nankervis
Toby Nankervis
Scott Lycett
Toby Nankervis
Jordan Roughead
Brendan McEvoy

Only Gawn is class as a dominant ruck. Don’t need a great ruck
Fort at least was capable of playing 4 quarters of football as a backup.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back