List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The Swans delisted one of their young rucks, the 209cm McAndrew.

Worth a shot as one of our SANFL listed players? I haven't seen him play but picking up a ruck for our SANFL side might be a way to find one cheaply.
Ironically, the last thing we want to do is recruit a ruck for our SANFL team.

If Turray is 2nd in line as our backup ruckman, then we need to be giving him every possible opportunity to gain ruck experience in the SANFL. He can't do that if he's got McAndrew and Strachan being preferred ahead of him.

I have to wonder about these Draper rumours… and I only say this because I have a little theory…

My source leading up to the trade week, whilst handing out information like candy, made one comment that I corrected them on. We were talking about the draft and they said “you ever heard of a kid called Sam Draper”? To which I replied “you mean Sid?” They looked a little embarrassed and agreed. I’m wondering if said source had been saying as much to others over the previous week and people got confused and added 1+1 and got 3?
No. The rumours are that Adelaide is into Essendon's Sam Draper as a 2025 RFA, and BF is hoping that they're also into Sid Draper in the 2024 ND.

I have to wonder about these Draper rumours… and I only say this because I have a little theory…

My source leading up to the trade week, whilst handing out information like candy, made one comment that I corrected them on. We were talking about the draft and they said “you ever heard of a kid called Sam Draper”? To which I replied “you mean Sid?” They looked a little embarrassed and agreed. I’m wondering if said source had been saying as much to others over the previous week and people got confused and added 1+1 and got 3?
Maybe. but some people supposedly in the know also get confused between trade and draft 😂 so who knows.... i still think draper will be the only of the 4 top mids available at our pick so we wont have a choice anyway. carlton are trying on the draper stuff to stop FOS being picked at 1 or 2 IMO.

Lets break it down. There are 4 equally rated mids this year by the general consensus hefe. The draft picks are held by their respective states. why would anyone take a go home risk in that case?

So as much as I want lalor or jagga I know we're gonna get draper.

Ironically, the last thing we want to do is recruit a ruck for our SANFL team.

If Turray is 2nd in line as our backup ruckman, then we need to be giving him every possible opportunity to gain ruck experience in the SANFL. He can't do that if he's got McAndrew and Strachan being preferred ahead of him.
then we will never move strachan on

then we will never move strachan on
I would be very surprised to see Strachan offered a new contract, beyond his current contract (which expires next year).

The time to bring in a low-cost SANFL-based ruck, to replace Strachan, is when Strachan departs - not a year before.

In 2025 we should be experimenting with Turray, to see how capable he will/can be in the ruck, while we still have Strachan on the list. Then, at the end of 2025, we can make an informed decision about what kind of ruckman we need to target as Strachan's replacement. Will Turray be good enough to succeed Strachan as our next low-cost SANFL-based ruckman, or is he better (possible future ROB replacement) or worse (just a backup's backup) than that?

I would be very surprised to see Strachan offered a new contract, beyond his current contract (which expires next year).

The time to bring in a low-cost SANFL-based ruck, to replace Strachan, is when Strachan departs - not a year before.

In 2025 we should be experimenting with Turray, to see how capable he will/can be in the ruck, while we still have Strachan on the list. Then, at the end of 2025, we can make an informed decision about what kind of ruckman we need to target as Strachan's replacement. Will Turray be good enough to succeed Strachan as our next low-cost SANFL-based ruckman, or is he better (possible future ROB replacement) or worse (just a backup's backup) than that?
I get it but I would have preferred bring in another mature AFL ruck now, reeve or similar dont care who particularly. Let them fight it out with ROB for AFL. The other rucks in SANFL with Turray who is still young and can only do bursts for at least this year. Strachan should have been delisted. We are exposed which we will all be complaining about if ROB goes down in round 1 for the season.

I get it but I would have preferred bring in another mature AFL ruck now, reeve or similar dont care who particularly. Let them fight it out with ROB for AFL. The other rucks in SANFL with Turray who is still young and can only do bursts for at least this year. Strachan should have been delisted. We are exposed which we will all be complaining about if ROB goes down in round 1 for the season.
Except that they wouldn't be fighting it out with ROB for the AFL position - they'd just be fighting it out with Strachan for the SANFL position.

No. The rumours are that Adelaide is into Essendon's Sam Draper as a 2025 RFA, and BF is hoping that they're also into Sid Draper in the 2024 ND.
Jenny is suggesting that the big footy rumors might have stemmed from her loose lips source that thinks the kids name is sam Draper.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is absolutely no excuse for not drafting a young development ruck with a later/rookie pick. None.

The SANFL approach by the club should be primarily around development not SANFL Premierships...nobody will ever convince me that having a young developing ruck developing in in the SANFL is detrimental on any level even with a mature (break glass in emergency) Strachan or the like also on the list.

There is absolutely no excuse for not drafting a young development ruck with a later/rookie pick. None.

The SANFL approach by the club should be primarily around development not SANFL Premierships...nobody will ever convince me that having a young developing ruck developing in in the SANFL is detrimental on any level even with a mature (break glass in emergency) Strachan or the like also on the list.
Do we even have any free spots to do that?

Based on the DraftGuru team lists for 2025, here are the current number of list vacancies across the competition:
Adelaide: 2
Brisbane: 2
Carlton: 4
Collingwood: 4
Essendon: 6
Fremantle: 3
Geelong: 8
Gold Coast: 5
GWS: 5
Hawthorn: -1
Melbourne: 3
Norf: -1
Port Adelaide: 0
Richmond: 6
St Kilda: 4
Sydney: 5
West Coast: 1
Western Bulldogs: 4

Total: 60

I was going to break it down into senior + Cat A rookie lists, but it just gets too messy. Some clubs have a 38+4 structure, others 37+5 or 36+6. It's easier just to say that they have X vacancies across both lists.

A few things to note:
  • Richmond currently have 8 Cat A rookies on their list, and just 28 players on their senior list. Presumably they were running a 36+6 list structure, and will now be switching to a 38+4 structure, so expect several of their rookies to be upgraded to the senior list.
  • Port, Norf, Hawthorn, and (probably) the Weagles will all need to make additional delistings, to satisify the AFL's minimum ND draft selections.
  • Given that there are only 60 current vacancies across both the senior & Cat A rookie lists, it's fairly safe to say that pick 64 will actually be much lower by the start of the draft. Some clubs still need to make additional cuts, but I can't see things blowing out to the point that there are more than 64 senior list vacancies across the AFL after the 2nd List Lodgement date (13th November).
  • 60 vacancies is a low figure, considering it's supposed to be a "super draft". Even if we do add a few extra positions due to post-trade delisting, it's still not going to be an unusually high number of players drafted.
Source:
https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2025

Last edited:
I bloody well hope not.
No chance that's true. Maybe 550-600k at the most. I'd baulk at even that much given I doubt Essendon offer him that much now.

If ROB goes at least Draper will be 27 and have 5 decent years ahead of him so we can look at someone like Goad to also come in to develop to take over.

Sam Draper is not just a rumour, the Crows are certainly putting in some work to potentially get him as a FA. Like most things, this will purely come down to money and has nothing to do with a desire to come home.

No chance that's true. Maybe 550-600k at the most. I'd baulk at even that much given I doubt Essendon offer him that much now.

If ROB goes at least Draper will be 27 and have 5 decent years ahead of him so we can look at someone like Goad to also come in to develop to take over.
‘Decent’ would be a stretch

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back