List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You're probably right - I'd say about 80% ND vs 20% RD at this stage. I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of upgrading 2 rookies. They're almost certainly not paying players out.

I get that forwards don't need to run midfielder-level times in the 2 km time trial, but 3 weeks is a slow 2 km time in anyone's books (only a slight exaggeration).

I doubt he'd last to the RD and we're all but certain to take him in the ND.

Has there been a post that succinctly summarises our list spaces, rookies, elevations etc etc and what we will likely be drafting?

Is it basically 4, Welsh, and an upgrade
Or
4, and 2x upgrades then;
Rookie Welsh then pass on the rest?

Is there a minimum no. Of rookie picks you need to make? Or can you pass from the get go?

Who is even on our rookie list? Can't see it on the AFC site.
We really need to sticky one of Vader's posts.

Are player contracts in general getting longer? Seems to be more long-termers for club's top 10 players now

Used to be that a 3 year deal was regarded as a long term contract and an Alastair Lynch 10-yearer was a standout anomaly.

Are player contracts in general getting longer? Seems to be more long-termers for club's top 10 players now

Used to be that a 3 year deal was regarded as a long term contract and an Alastair Lynch 10-yearer was a standout anomaly.
Yeh it's interesting, because I normally think these things are pushed by the player managers. But a long term deal seem to work against a player managers interest.
Maybe club are using it more and more to smooth out player payments?

Yeh it's interesting, because I normally think these things are pushed by the player managers. But a long term deal seem to work against a player managers interest.
Maybe club are using it more and more to smooth out player payments?
Maybe it's just the salary cap in action. If dollars can't increase, the only remaining lever is duration

Contracts aren't worth shit. Houston still had 3 years to go... now with Collingwood.

Contracts aren't worth shit. Houston still had 3 years to go... now with Collingwood.
They're worth shit to the player and worth shit to the clubs in terms of trade power

Surprised to read that Carlton delisted 8 players and traded 2
(Dom Akuei (delisted), Jack Carroll (delisted), Matt Carroll (delisted), David Cuningham (delisted), Sam Durdin (delisted), Matt Kennedy (trade), Caleb Marchbank (delisted), Jack Martin (delisted), Alex Mirkov (delisted), Matt Owies (trade)).
While we only delisted 4.
Are we that much better than Carlton or this is a missed opportunity to further massage the shape (using the term advisedly) of our list?

They're worth shit to the player and worth shit to the clubs in terms of trade power
But are they though? It seems to me everyone is getting to where they want to go for the most part. Port got into the first round of the draft, they got Lukosius (and a bonus Rat ;) ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised to read that Carlton delisted 8 players and traded 2
(Dom Akuei (delisted), Jack Carroll (delisted), Matt Carroll (delisted), David Cuningham (delisted), Sam Durdin (delisted), Matt Kennedy (trade), Caleb Marchbank (delisted), Jack Martin (delisted), Alex Mirkov (delisted), Matt Owies (trade)).
While we only delisted 4.
Are we that much better than Carlton or this is a missed opportunity to further massage the shape (using the term advisedly) of our list?
Supposedly we've done our heavy culling and are at a different stage

Presumably we drew up out list management blueprint back in the dire 2020 season when rebuild realisation dawned and we're sticking to it.

Unseen variables like a strong draft pool, some contracted seniors falling away, some draftees not looking up to it etc aren't factored in.

Maybe it's just the salary cap in action. If dollars can't increase, the only remaining lever is duration

The squads that teams like Geelong, Richmond, Carlton and Melbourne have built is due to clever use of front and back loading. When you're shit, front load, and when you're good, back load. The only way you can manipulate like this is with long contracts and often these teams have been accused of salary cap cheating because of it.

I think a lot of other clubs have been slow to adopt that strategy, but whenever there's innovation, other clubs eventually follow.

Because of the forced salary cap floor theres no such thing as a year to year warchest. The only thing you can stockpile is a lack of long contracts, giving you more flexibility down the line. Again the teams that are thinking about a 6 to 8 year salary plan are further ahead of the game than those thinking about just the next year or two.

I think it's less about players wanting longer deals and more about clubs using them to build stronger squads now and paying for it later

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back