List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton have established depth and want to get into the draft to conduct a semi rebuild of their roster. Its good aggressive list management to make sure they are around the mark for years to come. We have done well. Pick 4, Peatling, ANB, Cummings and Welsh. Thats a good off season. Our list isnt that bad. Just has some more dead wood to remove but they will get tossed next year. We will likely bring in some FA.

Plus the draft is an educated lottery and removing that much experience from your depth and relying on the draft to replace those players comes at an enormous risk. Only have to get 2 of them wrong and another 2 to be mediocre and its a bust regardless if what the others bring.
Do Carlton have decent depth though?

List their top 30 v us.

Established depth makes the world of difference over un-established depth like ours and they had huge injuries through the year and still made finals. Is it great, no. They didnt go deep in finals.
Have you missed how many players they have delisted?

Go ahead & compare top 30 players... as reckon you are in for a surprise!

Have you missed how many players they have delisted?

Go ahead & compare top 30 players... as reckon you are in for a surprise!
Yes. It is fatuous to compare us with Carlton. They clearly are in a different world, where they are concentrating on a large core of overpaid star players on long contracts to avoid poaching and go all out for premierships. Thus, they must be in salary-cap trouble and are getting rid of a large number of decent depth players. They are locking in the best 22 possible and damn the rest.

They will now be very vulnerable to injuries and their course could lead to big problems, rather than premierships.

They'd be delisted free agents, no need for clubs to select them in a draft.
In that situation
If we delist say Burgess and Schoenberg - I'd assume we would commit to re-rookie them - would it still be possible for another club to pick one or both of them up in the ND?
Yep, that’s what happened for Hugh Greenwood in 2021.

Delisted by GCS with the promise to be picked up in the RD. But then North Melb offered him a 2+ year contract and he signed with them as a delisted Free Agent before the ND/PSD/RD took place.

I don’t think that any other clubs would sign any of our spuds, but it would open up a list spot if they did (either on the Rookie List or the Main List because we wouldn’t have to upgrade Keane this year).

In that situation

Yep, that’s what happened for Hugh Greenwood in 2021.

Delisted by GCS with the promise to be picked up in the RD. But then North Melb offered him a 2+ year contract and he signed with them as a delisted Free Agent before the ND/PSD/RD took place.

I don’t think that any other clubs would sign any of our spuds, but it would open up a list spot if they did (either on the Rookie List or the Main List because we wouldn’t have to upgrade Keane this year).
Seems to me the only way we make a decision is it is forced upon us

The next most important signing is Worrell in my opinion we need to lock him down longer term.

Before Vic clubs work out how good he is and before his value sky rockets which I imagine it will if he plays a full season.

The next most important signing is Worrell in my opinion we need to lock him down longer term.

Before Vic clubs work out how good he is and before his value sky rockets which I imagine it will if he plays a full season.
He signed an extension earlier this year until the end of 2027.

Nick Murray is the next one to think about. I personally think he's too injury prone to give a 5+ year deal to.

Nick Murray is the next one to think about. I personally think he's too injury prone to give a 5+ year deal to.
3 years takes him to FA, although he’ll be an older RFA given he was picked up at 20yo

Hard to gauge what he’s worth, I’d give him 4 years, maybe 5 if he starts the season really strong

Yes, Nick Murray is the priority.

Assuming he plays solid football early next season, warrants another 3+ years.

His injury prone-ness is worry but I quite like our young defence, it's a part of the ground I'm rarely concerned with, I think Jack Hombsch has actually been an excellent line coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did last year too, did he not ??
Not sure, I added the full list at the link above, certainly some interesting names there.

Funny thing is a know a local player that had interest from several AFL clubs hasn't even nominated so he couldn't have been too convinced it was genuine interest.

He did last year too, did he not ??
Presumably not. I'm fairly sure that players who nominate for 1 draft, and are not selected, are automatically included in the draft for the next 2 years. If that's the case, then he wouldn't need to nominate again this year.

The problem is Strachan has a contract for 2025 and we both no it's not going to happen.
Surely we can afford to pay out either Strachan or Burgess as cant be that close to cap.

We need to deal with our biggest playing group risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back