List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt 8-10 on its own gets it done. I think we’d need to find an early 20s pick too. And maybe a couple of downgrades to ice the deal.
I'd say needs first, then whatever makes us better. So, if we have left over draft capital after chasing a ruck and small forward, why not.

But pick 8, 20 and a sweetener should get you JHF, Willie Rioli and the sweetener back. Pick 13 should get you a half back that's already been an AA.

Seems expensive for NWM, when we don't have a specific need. Why should we be the ones to overpay, when no one else does?

Does anyone know why we signed up Borlase before the draft?

Why wouldn't we have kept that list spot free to give us some flexibility? Did we think Keane was leaving and panicked?

Borlase would have still been there later if we didn't end up filling the spot or if we valued him higher than whoever was available to us

I don't mind him as depth but surely there were no serious suitors

I'd say needs first, then whatever makes us better. So, if we have left over draft capital after chasing a ruck and small forward, why not.

But pick 8, 20 and a sweetener should get you JHF, Willie Rioli and the sweetener back. Pick 13 should get you a half back that's already been an AA.

Seems expensive for NWM, when we don't have a specific need. Why should we be the ones to overpay, when no one else does?
You don't regard NWM as a specific need?

I'd say he's exactly the type we are missing on our list

There are other holes I guess but we have barely any outside run or polish

Does anyone know why we signed up Borlase before the draft?

Why wouldn't we have kept that list spot free to give us some flexibility? Did we think Keane was leaving and panicked?

Borlase would have still been there later if we didn't end up filling the spot or if we valued him higher than whoever was available to us

I don't mind him as depth but surely there were no serious suitors

And even if we timing was ok, why 2 years? Bond got 1 and he looks much closer to being first choice in his role defender than Borlase. What I'd like to know is do we have the type of convos that Port had with Clurey? Instead of pushing soon to be delisted players out and hopefully getting something back, even if it's just the spot, we just let them wither on the vine. Smith is an exception he's that cooked he's got no choice, nobody would be interested in him. But surely with the 3 players we got in we could have nudged Schoey or Laird or Murphy out the door.

You don't regard NWM as a specific need?

I'd say he's exactly the type we are missing on our list

There are other holes I guess but we have barely any outside run or polish
Looking at likely AFL quality mid/wing/ half back run and polish:
Rankine, Dawson, Hinge, Cumming, Sholl, Edwards, Curtin, Dowling, Taylor, Milera & Max. Chayce and Ryan probably more run than polish. Worrell and Keane also averaged over 300m gained at c.80% kicking efficiency.

Rucks:
ROB

Small forwards:
Rachele, Rankine (if we don't want him as a mid)

I don't think outside run is as big a need as ruck or small forward, but would take NWM if it didn't cost us more urgent needs, or better prospects.

Not many 22 year old stars get traded.

It’s not a common situation
Both NWM and Phillipou are good players, and best 22 players, but they are not stars of the game. Neither have been in the All Australian squad, let alone team, neither are premiership players, neither won the Rising Star award, and neither have won Brownlow Medals. They weren't even top 5 picks in their respective drafts. If they are out of contract, they are both worth 1 first rounder as things currently stand. If they start winning other accolades as mentioned above, then there is a discussion around a second first rounder.

There is a version of NWM and Phillipou available in any draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back