List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a reason why we have not announced any delistings yet?

Weren't the exit interviews last week?

Is it because we're waiting to see who we get in the trade period?

We don't go early. We always wait to see if there is a chance of a trade.

Which sounds good in theory, but by now every club knows who we are going to delist so could just pick them up for nothing anyway.

The outgoings are partly dependent on the incomings and whether there are any suitors for the likes of Gollant and Hamill. Would be surprised if we heard anything about delistings (apart from maybe some very obvious ones like Parnell) before the trade period.

I’d say Mchenry and Parnell might be certainties to be delisted at this point

Whereas the others might be up in the air depending on who we acquire in trade and FA

Which sounds good in theory, but by now every club knows who we are going to delist so could just pick them up for nothing anyway.
JR: So, the ANB trade. Can we interest you in....
McHenry!

Melbourne:No.

JR: Ok, Parnell?

Melbourne: Definitely not.

JR: Gollant?

Melbourne: Ugh.

JR: How about a cuttla tasty burgers. Of the Himmel and the baby John variety??

Melbourne: We're hanging up now.

JR: Wait..... Hamill?!

Melbourne: Not after Brayshaw. How about Berry?

JR: Nah we signed him up late.

JR: So, the ANB trade. Can we interest you in....
McHenry!

Melbourne:No.

JR: Ok, Parnell?

Melbourne: Definitely not.

JR: Gollant?

Melbourne: Ugh.

JR: How about a cuttla tasty burgers. Of the Himmel and the baby John variety??

Melbourne: We're hanging up now.

JR: Wait..... Hamill?!

Melbourne: Not after Brayshaw. How about Berry?

JR: Nah we signed him up late.
They wont be but should be interested in EH. Relief ruck for Gawn and might be ok with a decent midfield kicking to him

Who can tell, but from my eye, he looks a very very talented kid who only just turned 17 a couple of months ago and he just dominated an SANFL final in his underage year against the best and toughest midfield in the comp. Not a bad audition at that level.
Next years Wooden Spooner Richmond is salivating over the prospect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They wont be but should be interested in EH. Relief ruck for Gawn and might be ok with a decent midfield kicking to him
They have a rookie ruck on their rookie list SA's Will Verrall (20 YO)who has been OK in the VFL, and brought in Forward/ruck Tom Patterson from Brisbane last year so I'd think they'd more likely go with one of the rucks in this draft with a late pick. Rucks like Flynn Penry, Floyd Burmeister, Joe Pike, Aiden Riddle, Zac Harding, Lucas Impey, Ajang Kuol Mun (mature age) could all be considered late/rookie.

I'd really like the Crows to give Flynn Penry a shot a 204cm massive unit that has reasonable athleticism and skills for a big unit still growing into his body because unless the Crows do some serious pick/player trading Alex Dodson looks likely to be out of our range.

We need to bring in a young developing ruck at the very least unless a readymade AFL ruck can be had....IMO even if we bring in a mature age ruck we should still have a young developing ruck on our rookie list at all times.

I doubt any club would want to pick up anyone we delist, we are the 15th team! There is no rush to delist, plenty more to play out.

Gold Coast, now this is getting interesting, they hold some very nice picks, will burn some bringing in Rioli and Noble but may be interested in trading a useful pick or two into 2025, there could be an opportunity to improve our draft hand, if we have spots available.

Mutineer, Tom Fullarton :) Also, spots are now tight for a mature age and a project ruck :-(

They have a rookie ruck on their rookie list SA's Will Verrall (20 YO)who has been OK in the VFL, and brought in Forward/ruck Tom Patterson from Brisbane last year so I'd think they'd more likely go with one of the rucks in this draft with a late pick. Rucks like Flynn Penry, Floyd Burmeister, Joe Pike, Aiden Riddle, Zac Harding, Lucas Impey, Ajang Kuol Mun (mature age) could all be considered late/rookie.

I'd really like the Crows to give Flynn Penry a shot a 204cm massive unit that has reasonable athleticism and skills for a big unit still growing into his body because unless the Crows do some serious pick/player trading Alex Dodson looks likely to be out of our range.

We need to bring in a young developing ruck at the very least unless a readymade AFL ruck can be had....IMO even if we bring in a mature age ruck we should still have a young developing ruck on our rookie list at all times.

I've noticed you've been on Penry all year. Do you think he'd be available at our Pick 42 or even as a rookie?

can you send a link to flynn perry footage when you have time

How a side with so many list cloggers is struggling to free up list spots blows my mind.
It's terrible list management. Not just the Smith sympathy contract but locking mediocre fringe players in to long term deals.

Smith - cooked. Contracted for next year.
Schoenberg - still playing reserves after five years on the list. Contracted for one more year.
Cook - still playing reserves after four years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Pedlar - see Cook, also injured. Contracted for two more years.
Berry - borderline best 22 after four years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Jones - borderline best 22 after six years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Strachan - confirmed list clogger. Contracted for one more year.
Burgess - ???

Borlase about to be given a two year deal also going by reports.

We just hand out contracts like candy.

can you send a link to flynn perry footage when you have time
Go watch last Sunday's Coates Talent League game on the CTL app where he absolutely dominated the Tassie Devils rucks in blizzard like conditions most of the day.

Burgess, Himmleberg, Strachan, Borlase.

Smith, Shoenberg, and Jones all spent significant time at SANFL or as sub.

I really think we are overrating the importance of depth players and undervaluing the importance of list spots. Take a key defender with pick 67 and have them as your depth option even though they probably won't perform as well as a Borlase. Delist them after two years when it's clear they won't be good enough and try again until you find one that is. Every year there are players taken late in the draft that turn out to be handy AFL players. I could understand maybe keeping Himmelberg and Strachan as more immediate depth options but I really don't think anything more than that is likely to have too much of an impact on your season and there is a cost to it.

If we could land all of ANB, Cumming, Rosas Jnr, Lukocious and pick 4 in place of the likes of Parnell, Hamill etc.. it would be such an immediate improvement to the list and the best 22. Rosas Jnr in particular I hope we are pursuing.

It's terrible list management. Not just the Smith sympathy contract but locking mediocre fringe players in to long term deals.

Smith - cooked. Contracted for next year.
Schoenberg - still playing reserves after five years on the list. Contracted for one more year.
Cook - still playing reserves after four years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Pedlar - see Cook, also injured. Contracted for two more years.
Berry - borderline best 22 after four years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Jones - borderline best 22 after six years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Strachan - confirmed list clogger. Contracted for one more year.
Burgess - ???

Borlase about to be given a two year deal also going by reports.

We just hand out contracts like candy.
Smith, Sberg, Burgess definitely should be moved on/retired. ASAP
Strachan only once we have someone capable of doing the job that isnt ROB (this should've been addressed earlier but here we are)
Borlase only kept if we trade Keane. OK backup at a cheap price
Jones/Berry would want to show something or this will surely be their last contract. Both likely to be overtaken by others imo as their ceiling not great, I would've traded Berry.
Cook/Pedlar have the talent but need to cement their places and become consistent performers or they will go the same way.

Burgess, Himmleberg, Strachan, Borlase.

Smith, Shoenberg, and Jones all spent significant time at SANFL or as sub.

I really think we are overrating the importance of depth players and undervaluing the importance of list spots. Take a key defender with pick 67 and have them as your depth option even though they probably won't perform as well as a Borlase. Delist them after two years when it's clear they won't be good enough and try again until you find one that is. Every year there are players taken late in the draft that turn out to be handy AFL players. I could understand maybe keeping Himmelberg and Strachan as more immediate depth options but I really don't think anything more than that is likely to have too much of an impact on your season and there is a cost to it.

If we could land all of ANB, Cumming, Rosas Jnr, Lukocious and pick 4 in place of the likes of Parnell, Hamill etc.. it would be such an immediate improvement to the list and the best 22. Rosas Jnr in particular I hope we are pursuing.
Only way we can gain those 4 is if we dont offer Bond a contract, delist Burgess, Hberg, Parnell, Sloane, McHenry and trade keane. If we wanted to keep Bond or one of the others, we'd have to trade or delist and pay out a contracted player for each one we wanted to keep. Have far too many players contracted unfortunately.

Only way we can gain those 4 is if we dont offer Bond a contract, delist Burgess, Hberg, Parnell, Sloane, McHenry and trade keane. If we wanted to keep Bond or one of the others, we'd have to trade or delist and pay out a contracted player for each one we wanted to keep. Have far too many players contracted unfortunately.
we should do all that as well as gollant gone

and smith and strachan to rookie list

A lot of negativity running here in this thread, not even close to the team we'll hopefully have by 2026

you'd assume a lot of lot of front ended contracts floating within the team, just signed up Thilthorpe on a team friendly deal until 2028

Still a ridiculously young list, have some faith fellas

We'll get rid of the dead wood, with better coaches, the list will get older, we will bring in good players like Cumming, ANB, maybe one of Luko or Rosa Jr

The management of Smith this year has been an absolute disaster.

Yet another example that Nicks does not communicate with the list management team. Numerous examples have come from previous years - Rowe, Ben Davis were the two big ones - now Smith can be added to the list.

Nix is one of the voices on the list management committee, of course he communicates with them. They'd all be on the same page, they want wins now and if playing Smith achieves that, then they select him. We only ever look as far forward as this week's 4 points, selection couldn't be more aligned with list management, who all do the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back