List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I spoke briefly to Silvers on Sunday. He is a good guy and I rate him highly. I promised him another email as he knows me as 'the email guy who pointed out inequitable draw stuff to the AFL'. I am OK with that label lol. The following just sent to Silvers, Nicks and Reid. Will see what the response is

Hi Gents

In summary, a 7 minute ish read with hopefully well considered constructive views and how to best ‘sell’ future prospects to long suffering crows fans (and I don’t say this lightly) to ensure ongoing hope and support for the club.

Firstly, I hope things are well for you all personally with a no-doubt challenging year professionally. Nice seeing Tim again briefly at the pre-match and fans do appreciate leadership in challenging times. I understand its not easy but is certainly appreciated for Adam, Jack and then Tim speaking to your passionate QLD supporter group.

Firstly, the following is purely from a passionate fan (from the first trial game in Feb 1991) who is hoping and wishing for the best going forward and hopefully providing some insight from long term supporters/members. We all understand its been a difficult year – the ‘non-linear’ year that often comes along in our situation (but admittedly normally after a higher base level of success beforehand). These are my hopefully well considered thoughts after months of thought and gaining information from others who are seemingly able to glean information from Crows insiders (players or their partners etc). There are forums focussed on footy chat you would be aware of (inc the sometimes toxic BigFooty with a core demographic of 18-60 year olds) where the Crows are the clear number one ranking have 20% higher posting levels . 4m posts by many thousand supporters in recent years inc many by long term professionals, corporates and posters who seemingly have some form of inside connection to the club) than even compared to behemoths like Pies, Blues, Dons and Tigers. In summary, we have a massive supporter base out there, perhaps somewhat latent, but feel its important to understand core themes and opinions.

Acknowledgment / maintaining Hope

Clearly its been a difficult year for everyone that hasn’t met anyone’s expectations. Performance is worse than last year after a difficult first month with a game style change. Some key player injuries and continuing close losses with a number of players regressing – but its not all bad. Players are still playing for Nicksy (from my humble outside perspective), we are consistently around the mark and only 2 real poor losses (Hawks and Tigers in my view). But we need a few more core talented elite players – whether that’s TT, Rachele, Curtin and others (Pedlar/Murray/Worrell?) or future draft picks/trades and less injuries.

But I do feel publicly owning this to relate to fans that are starting to feel disenchanted is important. I can honestly say many long term supporters are for the first time reconsidering memberships (many premium) and/or corporate dollars spent going forward. The economy is tough. Discretionary expenditure is already down and likely further pressures going forward. But to acknowledge we are confident it’s a non-liner year in our trajectory. This can happen but next year therefore becomes particularly important with a material bounce needed (11-13 wins). Crows fans (members/supporters) have had a relatively successful 30+ years since inception with only 4 periods previously of 2 years of non-finals plus one 1 period of 3 years of non-finals (1994-1996). We are now entering our 8th year (2025) of non-finals and bookmakers I have called don’t have us in the top 10 teams for a top 8 spot for 2025. Therefore, waiting possibly 9-10 years for a finals berth is unprecedented and I believe having empathy and thanking our very loyal supporters for hanging in there and keep showing up in great numbers overall.

Revenues / memberships / crowd numbers

I am fearful, and wanted to communicate, we may see a deterioration in this regard next year. Supporters need hope based on real action and for that to be fulfilled at some point soon. We are seemingly struggling to attract quality non SA talent to the club (which is the norm for both Power and us with I think only Ryder and Dixon even becoming AA after being traded to a SA club). It all comes down to success and this years regression will erode confidence. Our crowds have been excellent (until the last home game) and I feel its important for perhaps Tim or John Olsen to address this issue over coming months. But more is also needed – see next

Attracting inbound talent

I do rate Justin and his team highly. Our various pick swaps have been possibly league’s best (certainly top quartile performance) since their inception mid last decade and Rankine and Dawson are exceptional ins (our 2 best players - one for a bargain and one for fair value perhaps) in the last 3 years. But after missing Day, Oliver, Redman and (thankfully in hindsight) Petty last year I am fearful we will again miss a decent name target where all decent FA’s have signed and Perryman at 800k seems a ridiculous stretch but not sure if Cummin is an option?

I cant see how we go about attracting 2-3 additional absolute elite (normally top 5 type players) like Callaghan, Anderson or Philippou without offering 1.25m for 7/8 years and shaking the tree so hard that a couple of them demand to be traded (and also fully acknowledge the difficulties this creates when re-signing the current elite batch like Rankine who will then say pay me 1.5m+ on a relative basis). I just see the ‘SA factor’ as such an insurmountable structural disadvantage and I am genuinely not sure there are any rational responses to this issue besides over-paying (and the corresponding issues this creates) or drafting which will then take another few years. I hope you have more ideas than I do..

Clearly elite mids (this was acknowledged by Tim last year) and also a developing / back up ruck seem glaring list holes. Also, unless Pedlar returns to form (and stays focussed and fit/healthy in the off season..) another quality small forward is needed and perhaps the Powers NGA player before 40 is a goer.

I imagine we have an unprecedented war chest and after a number of low finishes and long term contracts likely pre-paid (Rankine, Dawson, Soli and Rachele) we may be struggling to meet the minimum 95% floor. Problem is we are in a high inflation environment and many other clubs seemingly in a similar position and understand/agree in not paying ridiculous overs in the current environment.

Current list

One of Mattys N huge ticks has seemingly been culture, players buying in and playing for him and player retention. Listening publicly inc todays radio interview.. (and some private comments received) Keane wants out back to MLB. Please do NOT ROLL OVER here. Pies MUST pay a F1 if they want him for their rapidly aging squad with the last chance of a flag with so many 30+ and in desperate need for a KPD. Very happy to keep this very talented lad but if our demands aren’t met as we need to ensure we play hard ball as so many clubs have towards us over the years. Otherwise, he stays on our list in 2025 and may change his mind (Keane and Butts as KPD, Worrell as 3rd tall also allows potential N Murray – as per junior years? - swing forward option in my view)

We seem to have many potential outs this year (possibly 8+) which I wont comment on but please prioritise playing both Taylor and Curtin in an appropriate position (most games) and Ryan / even perhaps Edwards for 2-3 games each by the end of the year. There are seemingly some obvious players that can be rested Smith (Ryan) and Murphy (Taylor – even if not exactly like for like).

We should be preparing the squad for a big tilt in 2025 and there’s nothing like a few games of experience and it gives hopes to fans to see glimpses of future talent. We also don’t want to ideally finish above Saints if they get a ridiculous tier 1 FA pick for Battle moving us back to pick 6 (before academy/FS picks)

Recruiting

Contentious, heavily scrutinised and in my humble view does need enhancing. A good first few years by Hamish (CC, Lever, Mc Govern, M Crouch) with then a poorish 5 ish years from 2015 (whether Pyke overruled Galluci over English as per Phil Bunn I will never fully know) to a seemingly well above average last few years of both first and second rounders (plus Murray, Hinge, Keane etc for free and Nank in the PSD). He needs to get the next couple of drafts right – we cant bugger up here as, in theory, only more successful clubs can generally take higher risk picks.

Coaching / Support for M Nicks

Balme effectively made a public plea for a role with us going forward. I don’t understand why this wouldn’t be accepted after initial reluctance to get Senior coaching support. Look at his history inc Tigers and Cats. I am not on a witch hunt but do question Adam Kellys elite footy acumen (relative to SANFL admin) before joining the club in a crucial role. I see Chris Davies every year pulling off (often, not always) remarkable trade deals and other benchmark clubs like Swans having Leon Cameron with 25-30 years elite experience in a similar role. I just feel we need as much elite support as possible around Matty Nicks. Besides Kelly is our development team as good as possible? TT (at least equal best) and Rachele both played their best ever game in their first games of AFL – that’s not normal.

My dream scenario – Balme (Head of Football ish type overseeing role), Brett Ratten (Footy Manager) and Rahilly back as Senior Assistant (after feedback and results from our previously elite forward line this year) . Sounds like Montgomery might be back also.

We need elite assistants here. We perhaps haven’t always had them in recent years.

This years schedule

You pushed after Keays-Gate and were rewarded commercially but its seemingly unlikely to be repeated next year. I would be asking for 3-4 winnable games (inc home game first round) instead early next year to allow the team to start in a positive manner which hasn’t been the case in recent years always playing catch up.

Crows jumpers /merchandise

Consensus is you have nailed this years offering, inc Indigenous Round and ANZAC Day, and hope you are happy with feedback and sales. Well done guys – looks great as a suite of products.

Guys, Crows are one of my greatest passions in life. As a Stockbroker, one of my key driving aspirations is developing a sustainable model delivering 30%+ returns each year that I can ultimately offer (after club sign off) to any player you wish to help with retention going forward (watch this space – actually getting close). I would do anything to help the club and I hope any information sent a couple of times per year is taken in absolute good faith as it is intended.

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Regards
119 others

This is the year to go to the draft. I rate this group highly and it runs pretty deep. we can set ourselves up for the future by using this years first, next years first and other picks we may be able to secure as well as the picks we currently have. We can get a quality mid or two, a ruckman and a key forward or intercept defender if we play our cards right.

This is not the time to trade away our picks for players who may only help in the short term or who have major issues atm.

Tassie is coming soon. We need to keep picking youth at this time to get quality kids into the side before most are forced to go across to the apple isle

If we do go for trades they should be for younger players on the fringe atm who because of team depth cannot get a game presently or who are in and out of the side but have huge upside

There are also still some free agents we could look at that could help our cause eg Cumming

Let’s not miss the opportunity to get some real talent into the squad with the 2024 draft class
I'd really like us to look seriously at a canny small forward the likes of Port NGA Benny Barrett or Cobden/VC/GWV Rebel Rhys Unwin who to now has flown under the radar big time due to a ankle injury early in the season (round 2) and only resumed in round 12 of the Coates Talent League for the GWV Rebels and straight into the VC team for last week's game off of the 1 recent game. Rhys came into the season highly rated and bar for the injury he'd be on everyone's radar, heaps of X factor, speed and agility and footy smarts on steroids. With Rankine and Rachele likely to be spending time in the midfield I think it's a serious list need. Both lads also have squirts in the midfield so can handle the rough and tumble no worries.

1720516044331.png

I'd really like us to look seriously at a canny small forward the likes of Port NGA Benny Barrett or Cobden/VC/GWV Rebel Rhys Unwin who to now has flown under the radar big time due to a ankle injury early in the season (round 2) and only resumed in round 12 of the Coates Talent League for the GWV Rebels and straight into the VC team for last week's game off of the 1 recent game. Rhys came into the season highly rated and bar for the injury he'd be on everyone's radar, heaps of X factor, speed and agility and footy smarts on steroids. With Rankine and Rachele likely to be spending time in the midfield I think it's a serious list need. Both lads also have squirts in the midfield so can handle the rough and tumble no worries.

View attachment 2043709

Sounds ideal. We need more of that high end speed with footy smarts up forward
Hopefully we get two picks before Welsh!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Improving from a base of getting 3-4 touches a game on the Sanfl.

You do realise he's being tasked with shutting down the oppo's best small/medium forwards every week?

On the weekend he kept arguably the SANFL's best and most dangerous forward Aiden Grace goaless and restricted him to 5 possies.

Last edited:
You do realise he's being tasked with shutting down the oppo's best small/medium forwards every week?

On the weekend he kept arguably the SANFL's best and most dangerous forward Aiden Grace goaless and restricted him to 5 possies.

I like him. And yes I realise he has been given jobs to do - I feel that’s why we drafted him (not as another mid)

And he has improved a lot this year

My point was let’s not compare anything he has done to Pedlar and Schoenberg - who while both having their struggles have played a decent amount of footy at a good level at AFL level

It's an interesting discussion.
For me, Dawson, Max, Muzz and Fog are all too similar in personality type. I think the leadership group should have more diversity so as to connect with the broader squad better.

I'm swapping Fog for Rankine and Hinge for Muzz. It's a bigger spread of "type". But your selections are safer picks though.
Wouldn't be unhappy with that.
Our current format (including the personnel) is attrocious

Sounds ideal. We need more of that high end speed with footy smarts up forward
Hopefully we get two picks before Welsh!

Trading up/down including with future picks is something we do do pretty well.

I was initially reluctant on the idea of us trading out our future first to get back into this year's draft (thinking it maybe still be a top 5 pick), but the more I think about it, I think its by far the better option.
1) it sounds like we'd need to be comfortably in the bottom 3 to have a shot at Sharp next year, and as shit as we've looked at times this season, I can't see us finishing below NM, WCE & Rich.
2) smart drafting this year could propel us into a reasonable position next year, ruling us out of any possibility of Sharp anyway.
3) if the club follows the same thinking as we have, and drafts guys like Laylor & Draper, our future midfield looks beastly- units like Dawson, Curtin & Laylor complimented by Soligo, Rankine, Draper & Rachele (plus the other promising young guys)
4) we can always trade back in to next year's draft with more futures if an opportunity arises.
A man can only hope...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was initially reluctant on the idea of us trading out our future first to get back into this year's draft (thinking it maybe still be a top 5 pick), but the more I think about it, I think its by far the better option.
1) it sounds like we'd need to be comfortably in the bottom 3 to have a shot at Sharp next year, and as shit as we've looked at times this season, I can't see us finishing below NM, WCE & Rich.
2) smart drafting this year could propel us into a reasonable position next year, ruling us out of any possibility of Sharp anyway.
3) if the club follows the same thinking as we have, and drafts guys like Laylor & Draper, our future midfield looks beastly- units like Dawson, Curtin & Laylor complimented by Soligo, Rankine, Draper & Rachele (plus the other promising young guys)
4) we can always trade back in to next year's draft with more futures if an opportunity arises.
A man can only hope...
That would be the dream but going to be tough to find a willing participant to trade out of this year's 'super draft', especially the 1st round. The reason WCE found it so hard to get Curtin last year even though they were offering what was going to be a top 3 and likely no. 1 pick - no one's prepared to trade out of the first round and that hope and excitement an early pick brings to the supporters especially - although I wish we'd done that deal with them, imagine having 2 x top 4/5 picks in this years draft.

Maybe we could deal with GC or Brisbane who have f/s, academy picks but their 1st intentions will be to get ahead of those picks rather than defer them to next year.

That would be the dream but going to be tough to find a willing participant to trade out of this year's 'super draft', especially the 1st round. The reason WCE found it so hard to get Curtin last year even though they were offering what was going to be a top 3 and likely no. 1 pick - no one's prepared to trade out of the first round and that hope and excitement an early pick brings to the supporters especially - although I wish we'd done that deal with them, imagine having 2 x top 4/5 picks in this years draft.

Maybe we could deal with GC or Brisbane who have f/s, academy picks but their 1st intentions will be to get ahead of those picks rather than defer them to next year.
Hang on, so this years a super draft and nobody is willingly going to want to trade out of it but you then back that up with the example of West Coast offering a top 3, possibly pick 1 for this draft last year and had no takers

I spoke briefly to Silvers on Sunday. He is a good guy and I rate him highly. I promised him another email as he knows me as 'the email guy who pointed out inequitable draw stuff to the AFL'. I am OK with that label lol. The following just sent to Silvers, Nicks and Reid. Will see what the response is

Hi Gents

In summary, a 7 minute ish read with hopefully well considered constructive views and how to best ‘sell’ future prospects to long suffering crows fans (and I don’t say this lightly) to ensure ongoing hope and support for the club.

Firstly, I hope things are well for you all personally with a no-doubt challenging year professionally. Nice seeing Tim again briefly at the pre-match and fans do appreciate leadership in challenging times. I understand its not easy but is certainly appreciated for Adam, Jack and then Tim speaking to your passionate QLD supporter group.

Firstly, the following is purely from a passionate fan (from the first trial game in Feb 1991) who is hoping and wishing for the best going forward and hopefully providing some insight from long term supporters/members. We all understand its been a difficult year – the ‘non-linear’ year that often comes along in our situation (but admittedly normally after a higher base level of success beforehand). These are my hopefully well considered thoughts after months of thought and gaining information from others who are seemingly able to glean information from Crows insiders (players or their partners etc). There are forums focussed on footy chat you would be aware of (inc the sometimes toxic BigFooty with a core demographic of 18-60 year olds) where the Crows are the clear number one ranking have 20% higher posting levels . 4m posts by many thousand supporters in recent years inc many by long term professionals, corporates and posters who seemingly have some form of inside connection to the club) than even compared to behemoths like Pies, Blues, Dons and Tigers. In summary, we have a massive supporter base out there, perhaps somewhat latent, but feel its important to understand core themes and opinions.

Acknowledgment / maintaining Hope

Clearly its been a difficult year for everyone that hasn’t met anyone’s expectations. Performance is worse than last year after a difficult first month with a game style change. Some key player injuries and continuing close losses with a number of players regressing – but its not all bad. Players are still playing for Nicksy (from my humble outside perspective), we are consistently around the mark and only 2 real poor losses (Hawks and Tigers in my view). But we need a few more core talented elite players – whether that’s TT, Rachele, Curtin and others (Pedlar/Murray/Worrell?) or future draft picks/trades and less injuries.

But I do feel publicly owning this to relate to fans that are starting to feel disenchanted is important. I can honestly say many long term supporters are for the first time reconsidering memberships (many premium) and/or corporate dollars spent going forward. The economy is tough. Discretionary expenditure is already down and likely further pressures going forward. But to acknowledge we are confident it’s a non-liner year in our trajectory. This can happen but next year therefore becomes particularly important with a material bounce needed (11-13 wins). Crows fans (members/supporters) have had a relatively successful 30+ years since inception with only 4 periods previously of 2 years of non-finals plus one 1 period of 3 years of non-finals (1994-1996). We are now entering our 8th year (2025) of non-finals and bookmakers I have called don’t have us in the top 10 teams for a top 8 spot for 2025. Therefore, waiting possibly 9-10 years for a finals berth is unprecedented and I believe having empathy and thanking our very loyal supporters for hanging in there and keep showing up in great numbers overall.

Revenues / memberships / crowd numbers

I am fearful, and wanted to communicate, we may see a deterioration in this regard next year. Supporters need hope based on real action and for that to be fulfilled at some point soon. We are seemingly struggling to attract quality non SA talent to the club (which is the norm for both Power and us with I think only Ryder and Dixon even becoming AA after being traded to a SA club). It all comes down to success and this years regression will erode confidence. Our crowds have been excellent (until the last home game) and I feel its important for perhaps Tim or John Olsen to address this issue over coming months. But more is also needed – see next

Attracting inbound talent

I do rate Justin and his team highly. Our various pick swaps have been possibly league’s best (certainly top quartile performance) since their inception mid last decade and Rankine and Dawson are exceptional ins (our 2 best players - one for a bargain and one for fair value perhaps) in the last 3 years. But after missing Day, Oliver, Redman and (thankfully in hindsight) Petty last year I am fearful we will again miss a decent name target where all decent FA’s have signed and Perryman at 800k seems a ridiculous stretch but not sure if Cummin is an option?

I cant see how we go about attracting 2-3 additional absolute elite (normally top 5 type players) like Callaghan, Anderson or Philippou without offering 1.25m for 7/8 years and shaking the tree so hard that a couple of them demand to be traded (and also fully acknowledge the difficulties this creates when re-signing the current elite batch like Rankine who will then say pay me 1.5m+ on a relative basis). I just see the ‘SA factor’ as such an insurmountable structural disadvantage and I am genuinely not sure there are any rational responses to this issue besides over-paying (and the corresponding issues this creates) or drafting which will then take another few years. I hope you have more ideas than I do..

Clearly elite mids (this was acknowledged by Tim last year) and also a developing / back up ruck seem glaring list holes. Also, unless Pedlar returns to form (and stays focussed and fit/healthy in the off season..) another quality small forward is needed and perhaps the Powers NGA player before 40 is a goer.

I imagine we have an unprecedented war chest and after a number of low finishes and long term contracts likely pre-paid (Rankine, Dawson, Soli and Rachele) we may be struggling to meet the minimum 95% floor. Problem is we are in a high inflation environment and many other clubs seemingly in a similar position and understand/agree in not paying ridiculous overs in the current environment.

Current list

One of Mattys N huge ticks has seemingly been culture, players buying in and playing for him and player retention. Listening publicly inc todays radio interview.. (and some private comments received) Keane wants out back to MLB. Please do NOT ROLL OVER here. Pies MUST pay a F1 if they want him for their rapidly aging squad with the last chance of a flag with so many 30+ and in desperate need for a KPD. Very happy to keep this very talented lad but if our demands aren’t met as we need to ensure we play hard ball as so many clubs have towards us over the years. Otherwise, he stays on our list in 2025 and may change his mind (Keane and Butts as KPD, Worrell as 3rd tall also allows potential N Murray – as per junior years? - swing forward option in my view)

We seem to have many potential outs this year (possibly 8+) which I wont comment on but please prioritise playing both Taylor and Curtin in an appropriate position (most games) and Ryan / even perhaps Edwards for 2-3 games each by the end of the year. There are seemingly some obvious players that can be rested Smith (Ryan) and Murphy (Taylor – even if not exactly like for like).

We should be preparing the squad for a big tilt in 2025 and there’s nothing like a few games of experience and it gives hopes to fans to see glimpses of future talent. We also don’t want to ideally finish above Saints if they get a ridiculous tier 1 FA pick for Battle moving us back to pick 6 (before academy/FS picks)

Recruiting

Contentious, heavily scrutinised and in my humble view does need enhancing. A good first few years by Hamish (CC, Lever, Mc Govern, M Crouch) with then a poorish 5 ish years from 2015 (whether Pyke overruled Galluci over English as per Phil Bunn I will never fully know) to a seemingly well above average last few years of both first and second rounders (plus Murray, Hinge, Keane etc for free and Nank in the PSD). He needs to get the next couple of drafts right – we cant bugger up here as, in theory, only more successful clubs can generally take higher risk picks.

Coaching / Support for M Nicks

Balme effectively made a public plea for a role with us going forward. I don’t understand why this wouldn’t be accepted after initial reluctance to get Senior coaching support. Look at his history inc Tigers and Cats. I am not on a witch hunt but do question Adam Kellys elite footy acumen (relative to SANFL admin) before joining the club in a crucial role. I see Chris Davies every year pulling off (often, not always) remarkable trade deals and other benchmark clubs like Swans having Leon Cameron with 25-30 years elite experience in a similar role. I just feel we need as much elite support as possible around Matty Nicks. Besides Kelly is our development team as good as possible? TT (at least equal best) and Rachele both played their best ever game in their first games of AFL – that’s not normal.

My dream scenario – Balme (Head of Football ish type overseeing role), Brett Ratten (Footy Manager) and Rahilly back as Senior Assistant (after feedback and results from our previously elite forward line this year) . Sounds like Montgomery might be back also.

We need elite assistants here. We perhaps haven’t always had them in recent years.

This years schedule

You pushed after Keays-Gate and were rewarded commercially but its seemingly unlikely to be repeated next year. I would be asking for 3-4 winnable games (inc home game first round) instead early next year to allow the team to start in a positive manner which hasn’t been the case in recent years always playing catch up.

Crows jumpers /merchandise

Consensus is you have nailed this years offering, inc Indigenous Round and ANZAC Day, and hope you are happy with feedback and sales. Well done guys – looks great as a suite of products.

Guys, Crows are one of my greatest passions in life. As a Stockbroker, one of my key driving aspirations is developing a sustainable model delivering 30%+ returns each year that I can ultimately offer (after club sign off) to any player you wish to help with retention going forward (watch this space – actually getting close). I would do anything to help the club and I hope any information sent a couple of times per year is taken in absolute good faith as it is intended.

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Regards
119 others

ChatGPT summary for those that don't have a spare 7mins:

The author, a dedicated Adelaide Crows fan since the club's inception, acknowledges the challenges and disappointments of the current season. They stress the importance of transparency and empathy from club leadership to maintain fan support amidst economic pressures and declining membership interest. Highlighting concerns over player recruitment and team performance, they urge for strategic moves to attract top talent and fill critical positions like midfield and ruck. The message emphasizes the need for a strong 2025 comeback and enhanced coaching support for Matty Nicks to restore confidence and competitiveness. Overall, it's a plea for proactive measures to reassure loyal supporters and revitalize the club's prospects.

ChatGPT summary for those that don't have a spare 7mins:

The author, a dedicated Adelaide Crows fan since the club's inception, acknowledges the challenges and disappointments of the current season. They stress the importance of transparency and empathy from club leadership to maintain fan support amidst economic pressures and declining membership interest. Highlighting concerns over player recruitment and team performance, they urge for strategic moves to attract top talent and fill critical positions like midfield and ruck. The message emphasizes the need for a strong 2025 comeback and enhanced coaching support for Matty Nicks to restore confidence and competitiveness. Overall, it's a plea for proactive measures to reassure loyal supporters and revitalize the club's prospects.
119 Could have made it shorter by saying
“ the club has just about turned BACCS, John who and amacca haven’t been seen in weeks and nicks is just about to take the mantle and most games coached without finals, do better.”

Hang on, so this years a super draft and nobody is willingly going to want to trade out of it but you then back that up with the example of West Coast offering a top 3, possibly pick 1 for this draft last year and had no takers
This was thought to be a good draft for mids last year but there's been a lot of guys rise up and no one's really dropped down (except Welsh hoorah!) with a larger than normal group in the very top tier and a 2nd tier that goes all the way deep into the 20s.

But the point was clubs are loathe to trade out of the current year's (whatever year that is) first round so they can keep a steady supply of (hopefully) elite young talent rolling through.

Petty is an upgrade? On who? We have plenty of decent KPDs, so he's not a need there. He's proven to be completely useless as a KPF. Yes, he's an upgrade on Burgess, but we shouldn't be spending draft capital if all we're doing is bolstering our SANFL team.

Cumming would be a great addition, but I wouldn't be getting too excited about Luko either.
Petty is an upgrade, that shouldn't cost us anything but $$$ - he has potential to be a very useful swingman imo. Remember he was out for 6 months with a major foot injury.

Luko doesn't get me excited like the Rankine trade did - but he has a massive upside. I think of him like a possible Matt Robran type - who proved very important in our premiership years.

Looking at our squad, Walker - Himmelberg - Burgess - and maybe Keane might need to be covered at the end of this season. We need to develop our current draft picks into players too, but adding the likes of Petty and Lukosius are nett positives in my opinion.

Lots of movement at the end of 2024 is possible, but I'm sure we will back the guys in!!

(contract year in brackets)

Walker (2024 - retired)
Smith (2024 - probably recontracted for 12 months, yuk)
O'Brien (2025 - traded?)
McHenry (2024 - traded?)
Sholl (2024 - traded?)
Himmelberg (2024 - free agent)
Hamill (2024 - retired)
Burgess (2024 - delisted)
Gollant (2024 - traded)

Anyway, I'm certain we will have space for the likes of Petty and Lukosius!!

Petty is an upgrade, that shouldn't cost us anything but $$$ - he has potential to be a very useful swingman imo. Remember he was out for 6 months with a major foot injury.

Luko doesn't get me excited like the Rankine trade did - but he has a massive upside. I think of him like a possible Matt Robran type - who proved very important in our premiership years.

Looking at our squad, Walker - Himmelberg - Burgess - and maybe Keane might need to be covered at the end of this season. We need to develop our current draft picks into players too, but adding the likes of Petty and Lukosius are nett positives in my opinion.

Lots of movement at the end of 2024 is possible, but I'm sure we will back the guys in!!

Walker (2024 - retired)
O'Brien (2025 - traded?)
McHenry (2024 - traded?)
Sholl (2024 - traded?)
Hamill (2024 - retired)
Gollant (2024 - traded)

How do you arrive at Petty costing nothing but $$$$'s?..He's contracted for 2025.

You think the Dees will be that charitable?

Walker (2024 - retired)
O'Brien (2025 - traded?)
McHenry (2024 - traded?)
Sholl (2024 - traded?)
Hamill (2024 - retired)
Gollant (2024 - traded)

Petty's performances this year have put paid to claims that he's capable of playing as a swingman. He's a quality defender, but we have an abundance of those already. As a forward, he's no better than Borlase was for us when we trialed him in the forward line before the bye (i.e. next to useless). I just don't see what he offers. Who does he replace in our current best 22? If we're going to be paying him enough to lure him away from Melbourne, then we need to be damn sure that he's going to substantially improve our team. In all likelihood the $$$ cost would mean paying him double Butts' salary - and he's definitely not twice the player that Butts is.

Luko strikes me as a soft player, who is likely to go to water in the pressure of finals. He's capable of playing good footy sometimes, but he can't be relied upon when the game gets close & physical. He is the antithesis of a finals player, though this has never been proven (given that GC have never played a final).

I agree that we have a shortage of tall forwards, with Walker (ret), Berg (UFA), Burgess (delist), and Gollant (delist) all possible departures this year (or next). That would leave us with Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Welsh (a 1st year draftee), which is a depth problem. Luko might help here, but Petty certainly isn't the answer.

I'm happy to grab Luko when he comes out of contract as a FA, but I wouldn't want to be giving anything away as trade collateral. I don't see any point in chasing Petty at all.

Back