List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be a great result for us. Get in pick 4 or 5 to get that top end mid, we have a 2nd which will slide in before the Welsh bid and maybe try and engineer another 1st or early 2nd. If we can then secure Cumming as a FA (assuming his body is not totally shot), that would be a great end of season capture

I would have preferred Welsh be a talent that risked our first, without costing it, rather than a mid/late second/third round plodder.

Maybe what jeffcrow etc are speculating is that in another draft he might have been but this one is possibly that strong he will slide

But then everyone is benefitting equally, there's no advantage. We wanted to be picking up a high end pick with 3 3rd rounders. That's the value in father son and academy and looks like we miss out because Welsh is 30th, at best, in his draft class. It is what it is, but it's disappointing as it was looking like we'd be cashing in on this one before the imminent change.

But then everyone is benefitting equally, there's no advantage. We wanted to be picking up a high end pick with 3 3rd rounders. That's the value in father son and academy and looks like we miss out because Welsh is 30th, at best, in his draft class. It is what it is, but it's disappointing as it was looking like we'd be cashing in on this one before the imminent change.
Maybe wait until the dust settles with Welsh. He has shown glimpses of what he is capable of but is very raw and its going to take some time. But he may still end up a very good AFL player and he is 100% ours if we want him. It won' t really matter where he was picked if he goes on to fulfil his potential at senior level imo

Maybe wait until the dust settles with Welsh. He has shown glimpses of what he is capable of but is very raw and its going to take some time. But he may still end up a very good AFL player and he is 100% ours if we want him. It won' t really matter where he was picked if he goes on to fulfil his potential at senior level imo

How can he be raw, surely he's not new to the game?

Tom Sparrow dropped by the Dees this week lighting up the VFL with 10 disposals 5K 5Hb 3 clearances. to quarter time

Welsh is going to end up a clone of his father .....IMO that's a pretty good get

He has all the same attributes ....marking, speed, and footy nous

He doesn't seem very popular with the Dees board.

Is he someone you like the look of?
Always have right back to his U18's at the Panthers, has that explosiveness we lack in our midfield mix with Pedlar seemingly unable to get his body or endurance up to regular AFL standard, Unfortunately he's contraccted to 2026. 20 disposals to half time and 5 clearances now.

Always have right back to his U18's at the Panthers, has that explosiveness we lack in our midfield mix with Pedlar seemingly unable to get his body or endurance up to regular AFL standard, Unfortunately he's contraccted to 2026. 20 disposals to half time and 5 clearances now.
Yeah I thought I remembered you talking about him last contract he signed. Might be one to wait on if this year's draft is as deep as they say.

Looking at Callaghan again - surely we are putting a monster deal in front of him and trying to turn his head. Would compliment our group perfectly.
9 years @$1.4m!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
One of a handful of players in the league you’d open the chequebook for. He’s going to be elite and would be a perfect fit for our mid mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of a handful of players in the league you’d open the chequebook for. He’s going to be elite and would be a perfect fit for our mid mix.
And this is the type of talk I want to hear right now. I don't want players just because they'll come to Adelaide or they were born here. The obvious being Luko and Petty with the exceptions of Dawson and Rankine. I want the elite difference makers, the ones who we are prepared to make an offer to they can't refuse. There are probably barely maybe ten players that fit the bill, although there are probably some young emerging ones that I just don't know enough about. I'm talking Walsh, Anderson, Heeney, JHF, Daicos etc. I know these are amost certainly impossible but sometimes it just works out. Make the offer ADL, see what happens.

Most Demons fans seem to consider him steak knives in any deal.

That's not the same as the coaching staff, but considering they've dropped him, you'd have to think he's very gettable.

And this is the type of talk I want to hear right now. I don't want players just because they'll come to Adelaide or they were born here. The obvious being Luko and Petty with the exceptions of Dawson and Rankine. I want the elite difference makers, the ones who we are prepared to make an offer to they can't refuse. There are probably barely maybe ten players that fit the bill, although there are probably some young emerging ones that I just don't know enough about. I'm talking Walsh, Anderson, Heeney, JHF, Daicos etc. I know these are amost certainly impossible but sometimes it just works out. Make the offer ADL, see what happens.
It sounds like we've consistently made offers, but relocating just isn't attractive for people that have no draw to live in Adelaide.

Welsh will be the same player wherever he goes. It's like people enjoying wine more if they pay $100 a bottle rather than $20.

Not really, the player is only one side of the argument. The competitive advantage of a high end father son is that you get them with crap picks. Instead of having to pay a crisp $100 note, you get the wine with crap you fo7nd laying around the house that otherwise had little to no value.

OK, we're nearing the finals. Who on our list would teams in the top like to help them win a flag, or those in 9th-10th think could get them there. Plus who would those teams also think are worth developing (I'll exclude last year's draftees)

By age

Walker, Taylor: 34y 3mth - maybe maybe
Smith, Brodie: 32yr 6mth - NOPE
Laird, Rory: 30yr 6mth - Not really
Crouch, Matt: 29yr 3mth - Nah
O'Brien, Reilly: 28yr 11mth - No way
Strachan, Kieran: 28yr 9mth - lulz the 6th oldest player on our books, Hell no
Burgess, Chris: 28yr 8mth - OMG the 7th older player. No, no no.

Keays, Ben: 27yr 5mth - Yes
Dawson, Jordan: 27yr 3mth - Yes. Sydney would have him back tomorrow
Milera, Wayne: 26yr 10mth - Nope. Not a match winner. Now a list clogger.
Himmelberg, Elliott: 26yr 1mth - Oh hell no

Hinge, Mitchell: 26yr 1mth - Maybe
Murphy, Lachlan: 25yr 7mth - Please. No one else is as stupid as us
Fogarty, Darcy: 24yr 10mth - Yes, most would take him.
Butts, Jordon: 24yr 6mth - He might get a game if the side gets some injuries
Jones, Chayce: 24yr 6mth - NO
Sholl, Lachlan: 24yr 4mth - Might get a game
Keane, Mark: 24yr 4mth - The Pies want him, and well, they're not playing finals this year
Rankine, Izak: 24yr 3mth - Every team would pick him, and do it quickly
McHenry, Ned: 24yr - Unless they need someone to catch fish. F No.
Hamill, Will: 23yr 8mth - Not for this year, but probably some would like him on their list
Murray, Nick: 23yr 7mth - If fit he plays in the finals for most teams
Schoenberg, Harry: 23yr 5mth - Nope, surplus to requirements
Worrell, Josh: 23yr 3mth - Like Worrel
Gollant, Lachlan: 22yr 10mth - One they'd probably put on their list but not play
Berry, Sam: 22yr 5mth - No
Gallagher, Karl: 22yr 5mth - No
Parnell, Patrick: 22yr 4mth - No

Pedlar, Luke: 22yr 2mth - Not for this year, but might think he could become something
Thilthorpe, Riley: 22yr - Yes, but probably for next year
Cook, Brayden: 22yr - Nah
Borlase, James: 22yr - Would not get a game

Soligo, Jake: 21yr 6mth - Yes. Would play
Taylor, Zac: 21yr 5mth - Think a few would like his in the next 2 years
Rachele, Josh: 21yr 3mth - Wouldn't play this year, but clubs might think they can get more out of him than we have.
Nankervis, Luke: 21yr 2mth - A good one to have on your list
Michalanney, Max: Every side would take him, no questions asked
Dowling, Billy: 20yr - He won't play this year, but clubs would take him
Bond, Hugh: 19yr 10mth - Same as Dowling

One thing I've been thinking of recently is the midfield recruiting back in the early Nicks era.

Specifically Schoenberg and Berry. Two players who, at best, would be like-for-like replacements for Crouch brothers/Laird (all 3 still playing, and in 2020 still had multiple good years ahead of them.) Rather than focusing on the gaps in the squad first.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back