List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is not that a good ruck can’t be a positive influence, or that we should not be looking to find one.

The point is they simply do not have the influence on the game that warrants spending $1m on one.

Through most of his career ROB has been a good contested and intercept marker and has been excellent in tackling and winning clearances at the stoppage. He’s lost that at the moment but it’s very possible he’s just having a down year. It’s not fair to call him a liability.
I'd pay Gawn, Grundy and even TDK $1M in a heartbeat. I'd also give it to Witts if he could get his body right. I'd think about it for Darcy, Jackson and Marshall. Although I'm not sure about the physical intensity of his play, I'd also consider it for English given his hand and foot skills are pretty much running mid level. $1M is not what it was even a couple of years ago, there'll be at 30-40 players on that with the next CBA, maybe more.

ROB is a liability right now. At this best he could take a decent mark but we haven't seen that consistently for a long while. He started with ordinary skills that we assumed would get better but right now they're worse. He handballs like a 5 year old. We have one of our players on the field that we don't want to have the ball. That means he should be replaced.

I haven't watched a heap of Collingwood this year, but going on previous, I wouldn't mind having a good look at Beau McCreery. South Aussie, good speed, creative. Looks like a great replacement for Murphy :)
Would be a huge get given what he'd replace. They hold him in very, very high regard though. Go on the Collingwood board and suggest Berry and Keane for McCreery and you'll get laughed down. A big favourite of players, coaches and fans alike.

The point is not that a good ruck can’t be a positive influence, or that we should not be looking to find one.

The point is they simply do not have the influence on the game that warrants spending $1m on one.

Through most of his career ROB has been a good contested and intercept marker and has been excellent in tackling and winning clearances at the stoppage. He’s lost that at the moment but it’s very possible he’s just having a down year. It’s not fair to call him a liability.

I think people are conflating raw hitouts which aren't a meaningful factor and the entirety of a ruck's role not being meaningful. Bicks is a classic for pointing to raw hitouts to suggest the performance of a ruckman.

You are correct imo. ROB used to be ranked around the 10th-12th for most marks by a Crows player in a season, but over the last two seasons has slipped to approx 19th. Handball stats are also disappointing as he used to rank approx 4th & now he's approx 13th !! The two areas that he hasn't slipped are hitouts & tackles. He really is a good tackler.

I agree that we need a succession plan in place as a priority but have a look at other ruckmen's stats & you will soon realise that your point about their significance is supported. People raise names like Jackson but he has similar figures to ROB two years ago.

Seems to be having recurring calf/quad/hamstring issues? Not great for a running player.

GWS half-back Isaac Cumming has suffered another blow after a frustrating season that has seen him sidelined for the majority.

Cumming finally made his long-awaited return in Round 16 following multiple hamstring issues which has reared its ugly head once more.

The 25-year-old was sent for scans after being subbed out during Saturday's win and the results confirm a six-week lay-off.

Seems to be having recurring calf/quad/hamstring issues? Not great for a running player.

GWS half-back Isaac Cumming has suffered another blow after a frustrating season that has seen him sidelined for the majority.

Cumming finally made his long-awaited return in Round 16 following multiple hamstring issues which has reared its ugly head once more.

The 25-year-old was sent for scans after being subbed out during Saturday's win and the results confirm a six-week lay-off.
He is a free agent so won't cost us any draft capital
Also in Burgess we trust

In order of need:

1A. Gun Midfielder
1B. Coach who understands football
27. Upgrade ruckman this offseason.
Upgrading ROB may not be the number 1 priority this off season, but finding a developing ruck is up there. We have now left it too late to draft one, so we need to look to trade for a 22-23 year old promising ruck from another club who will be ready to take over from ROB in the next 1-2 years.

We also then need to look at replacing Stachan too as our back up option. He is getting on age wise now.

Ideally we want a main ruck, a back up depth option and then a young developing ruck working towards taking over from the main ruck.

Oliver is tempting but a big no to giving melbourne our first rounder for him.
If thats the deal then a hard NO, if we can get him in a fair deal then i would say:

motivational just do it GIF

Takes up a tidy slab of our salary cap if he doesn't play regular AFL footy...
Milera could always use a rehab buddy. Real shame he’s copped another leg injury but would surely lower his price slightly. Would also back Burgess more than most other fitness departments to condition him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If thats the deal then a hard NO, if we can get him in a fair deal then i would say:

If our first rounder was about pick 12-15 i would. But not for pick 5. Maybe do some trade magic to get a pick in the teens.

Gettable said that EH was unlikely to move to GWS, has a contract in front of him from us and other clubs could be interested (none named)
Reckon resting Tex last week showed Himmelberg he’s a better chance breaking into the Walker-Thilthorpe-Fogarty lineup than the Hogan-Riccardi-Cadman lineup

Reckon resting Tex last week showed Himmelberg he’s a better chance breaking into the Walker-Thilthorpe-Fogarty lineup than the Hogan-Riccardi-Cadman lineup
It still wouldn't shock me if he left, plenty of teams could use him. We are more stocked than most up forward and he is starting to show something

It still wouldn't shock me if he left, plenty of teams could use him. We are more stocked than most up forward and he is starting to show something
Every possibility, Toby Murray surpasses Himmelberg as early as next year ....he's on a steep development curve, and another PS in an AFL environment will serve Murray well

Himmelberg and Sam Berry, I'm more than comfortable losing

Depends on whether Melbourne want to keep him or not.

If they want to get rid of him then it’ll be a question of what’s more valuable to us, cap space or picks? They’d be willing to take less in terms of picks if the club taking him absorbs his contract.

If they don’t want to get rid of him then there’s absolutely no chance someone of Oliver’s quality goes for less than a first rounder, we’d probably need to offer two realistically.

It’s entirely possible that Himmelberg isn’t really concerned with who will actually play him and is just worried about the size of the contract.

He has the chance to carve out a pretty lengthy career as a journeyman/depth type player. If he goes somewhere for the opportunity to play AFL, there’s no guarantee he succeeds and could be out of the league pretty quickly.

I don’t know what his mindset is, but if he’s got anything 3+ years in front of him, I’d be taking it if I was him.

Depends on whether Melbourne want to keep him or not.

If they want to get rid of him then it’ll be a question of what’s more valuable to us, cap space or picks? They’d be willing to take less in terms of picks if the club taking him absorbs his contract.

If they don’t want to get rid of him then there’s absolutely no chance someone of Oliver’s quality goes for less than a first rounder, we’d probably need to offer two realistically.
If they don't want to get rid of him they wont trade him. They will only look at offers if they are ok to lose him, in which case we should hold the upper hand here.

It’s entirely possible that Himmelberg isn’t really concerned with who will actually play him and is just worried about the size of the contract.

He has the chance to carve out a pretty lengthy career as a journeyman/depth type player. If he goes somewhere for the opportunity to play AFL, there’s no guarantee he succeeds and could be out of the league pretty quickly.

I don’t know what his mindset is, but if he’s got anything 3+ years in front of him, I’d be taking it if I was him.
Rory Lobb has made a career out of it

He's actually having a reasonably good year compared to last year, when he was a fair bit worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back