List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've noticed you've been on Penry all year. Do you think he'd be available at our Pick 42 or even as a rookie?
Should be because he's another that missed the 1st half of the season and only resumed in the CTL the week before the Nationals where he only got a managed run for VC in the last Nationals game. Since his return he's played well for the Rebels and the remaining games for Geelong Grammar in the APS (finished now).

The GWV Rebels put the far higher placed on the ladder Tassie Devils out of the Finals in the Wildcard round in a game he dominated so he will get to play at least one more CTL game this weekend against the Geelong Falcons where he likely gets pitted against the Falcons overage ruck Joe Pike who has been playing VFL for the Cats VFL most of the season. Falcons have generally had the Rebels measure this season so it will be an intersting watch, a lot probably depends if Sam Lalor gets up after ing an upper leg injury against the Devils.

It's terrible list management. Not just the Smith sympathy contract but locking mediocre fringe players in to long term deals.

Smith - cooked. Contracted for next year.
Schoenberg - still playing reserves after five years on the list. Contracted for one more year.
Cook - still playing reserves after four years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Pedlar - see Cook, also injured. Contracted for two more years.
Berry - borderline best 22 after four years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Jones - borderline best 22 after six years on the list. Contracted for two more years.
Strachan - confirmed list clogger. Contracted for one more year.
Burgess - ???

Borlase about to be given a two year deal also going by reports.

We just hand out contracts like candy.
Retention!

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

What about the mediocre best 22 players on long term deals, laird milera, rob.

Reid stinks

I've noticed you've been on Penry all year. Do you think he'd be available at our Pick 42 or even as a rookie?
If you want a look at Flynn Penry he was the best ruck on the ground in last year's U17's Futures game on Grand Final Day, he's the big ranga #28. All the players out there that are spoken about for the 2024 draft. btw he's 204cm now.

Rookie me notes on that game

#28 Flynn Penry (GWV Rebels)
Ruck | 200cm | 20/04/2006

The most impressive of the rucks, Penry looked clean for a tall, and good below his knees. He gets involved in transition which is ultra-important, and he can be a presence in the air. Far too good for his opposition, particularly when going against an undersized ruck, Penry worked hard around the ground and asserted his influence to be one of the best on Team Selwood.

If you want a look at Flynn Penry he was the best ruck on the ground in last year's U17's Futures game on Grand Final Day, he's the big ranga #28. All the players out there that are spoken about for the 2024 draft. btw he's 204cm now.

Rookie me notes on that game

#28 Flynn Penry (GWV Rebels)
Ruck | 200cm | 20/04/2006

The most impressive of the rucks, Penry looked clean for a tall, and good below his knees. He gets involved in transition which is ultra-important, and he can be a presence in the air. Far too good for his opposition, particularly when going against an undersized ruck, Penry worked hard around the ground and asserted his influence to be one of the best on Team Selwood.
Thanks. Just on this game what happened to Sam Marshall? any idea?

It would be funny/ sad if all we ended up with was ANB.

You’d think if the club came out and said “we are going to be very aggressive via trading and free agency” we had some deals locked in early.

However this is the AFC we’re talking about.
Lol .. I had similar thoughts earlier today

With the irony being ANB wouldn't have been on anyone's radar when the club made that statement

They have a rookie ruck on their rookie list SA's Will Verrall (20 YO)who has been OK in the VFL, and brought in Forward/ruck Tom Patterson from Brisbane last year so I'd think they'd more likely go with one of the rucks in this draft with a late pick. Rucks like Flynn Penry, Floyd Burmeister, Joe Pike, Aiden Riddle, Zac Harding, Lucas Impey, Ajang Kuol Mun (mature age) could all be considered late/rookie.

I'd really like the Crows to give Flynn Penry a shot a 204cm massive unit that has reasonable athleticism and skills for a big unit still growing into his body because unless the Crows do some serious pick/player trading Alex Dodson looks likely to be out of our range.

We need to bring in a young developing ruck at the very least unless a readymade AFL ruck can be had....IMO even if we bring in a mature age ruck we should still have a young developing ruck on our rookie list at all times.
Hey Mate, I totally agree we need a developing ruck on our list. What are your thoughts on Max Knobel from Freo? Apparently out of contract this year, 206cm, and has been playing WAFL for the past couple of months. Given he is behind Darcy, Jackson and Reidy, and has already had a couple of years in the system learning off of some great rucks, he would be ready to go at AFL level over the next 12-18 months.

Hey Mate, I totally agree we need a developing ruck on our list. What are your thoughts on Max Knobel from Freo? Apparently out of contract this year, 206cm, and has been playing WAFL for the past couple of months. Given he is behind Darcy, Jackson and Reidy, and has already had a couple of years in the system learning off of some great rucks, he would be ready to go at AFL level over the next 12-18 months.
From what I gather when fit Sean Darcy is their preferred lead ruck and Luke Jackson preferred up forward and only chopping out in ruck? Not sure he'd be considered behind Liam Reidy when they're looking to the future.

Both Knobel and Reidy are out of contract and I can't see Freo not contracting Knobel in front of Reidy given one is a 20 year old developing ruck that was a stringbean when drafted and the other a 24 year old they plucked out of the VFL from Frankston 2 years ago?

Sure you'd look at Knobel but I feel they'll re-contract him well ahead of Reidy.

Hi all, long time lurker / first time poster - been a big year of frustration and annoyance with the club's current position, so looking forward to venting that in the right manner with some likeminded passionate fans who want to see our club's overdue bounce back!

Safe to say this is one of the biggest off-seasons in our club's history - for both trade and draft acquisitions, list management, and off-field changes. No excuse for us not to be forensically investigating every part of our operations.

Looking forward to following along for the ride, and beyond that. Cheers 🤝

Are you and Allefgib the same person? Haven't seen him around for ages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you and Allefgib the same person? Haven't seen him around for ages
Hey BunjiMac, No, we are not the same person. I have been stalking these boards for a couple of years, leaving the occasional comment here and there. I have barracked for the Crows since day dot, and have become increasingly more frustrated with their on-field and off-field performances over the past few years; which judging from the vast number of posts I have read over the past few months, are feelings held by a significant portion of the Crows BF community.

Get Bond signed FFS

Brodie Smith activated a trigger to play on in 2025, while the club is in discussions with Hugh Bond. Elliott Himmelberg, who was linked with a move to the Giants last year, is holding off, but Will Hamill, Ned McHenry, Patrick Parnell and Lachlan Gollant face a wait to see what happens during the trade period. The Crows have Alex Neal-Bullen and potentially Jack Lukosius coming in, and are also keen to retain defender Mark Keane as the Magpies circle. – Peter Ryan

The Giants are still waiting on decisions from in-demand free agents Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming, and uncontracted midfielder James Peatling, before they are definitive about their plans for the trade period. Nick Haynes looks likely to join Carlton, while Peatling, who has jumped up the pecking order with a huge second half of the season, is in demand. Warriors Adam Kennedy, Lachie Keeffe and Callan Ward are used to waiting at this stage of their careers, while Stone is likely to remain at the Giants. Cooper Hamilton and Braydon Preuss have not forced their way into the team. The Giants have not ruled out making a play for Adelaide’s Elliott Himmelberg, but those decisions will be dependent on list spots being available. – Peter Ryan

Dual All-Australian Dan Houston says he will fulfil the remaining four years of his contract despite flirting with a move back to Victoria, but Collingwood has joined Carlton and St Kilda in still being interested. This continues to be a situation to monitor, particularly once the Power’s season ends. GWS unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming have been linked, while Port have tabled a three-year offer to out-of-contract Magpies forward Joe Richards. Veterans Travis Boak and Charlie Dixon headline an out-of-contract group including Francis Evans, Kyle Marshall, Tom McCallum, Trent McKenzie, Quinton Narkle and Tom Scully. – Marc McGowan

Not fussed with Bond being unsigned at this stage

No one's poaching him

I think he has something to offer but he is one of the last ones you add to your list once all the dust has settled.

Borlase should have been the same.

Both are low cost role players that you need somewhere on your list but are a long way down your priorities.

Not fussed with Bond being unsigned at this stage

No one's poaching him

I think he has something to offer but he is one of the last ones you add to your list once all the dust has settled.

Borlase should have been the same.

Both are low cost role players that you need somewhere on your list but are a long way down your priorities.
The Borlaise signing this early makes me thing there’s huge uncertainly on Keane

I think we really need Keane to stay personally , but if he goes that gives us the list spot and draft pick we potentially need to get some trades done

Still hoping there’s another option though but I’m sure it’s up to Keane

Michael Whiting : who would know

Luko : Damien Hardwick has had a look at Jack and the way he plays and doesn’t quite fit the way he wants.

Rosas: Hardwick got a bit annoyed with undisciplined acts , has talent yadah yadah.

Both can come back and work on their games.

IMO wants them gone or list pressure needs relief and he has them as the ones needed to be gone .
If we are dealing for them it should be on our terms.

Michael Whiting : who would know

Luko : Damien Hardwick has had a look at Jack and the way he plays and doesn’t quite fit the way he wants.

Rosas: Hardwick got a bit annoyed with undisciplined acts , has talent yadah yadah.

Both can come back and work on their games.

IMO wants them gone or list pressure needs relief and he has them as the ones needed to be gone .
If we are dealing for them it should be on our terms.
Neither absolutely fix the problem so agree. I know a lot are down on ANB but if it gets murphy out I'm all for it.

I thought of this independently: just swap EH for ANB. Simple.
Suspect that the trade has been agreed between the clubs, which is why ANB has officially nominated us (as opposed to saying nothing until everything is agreed). Would not be surprised if Berg is part of it

Get Bond signed FFS

Brodie Smith activated a trigger to play on in 2025, while the club is in discussions with Hugh Bond. Elliott Himmelberg, who was linked with a move to the Giants last year, is holding off, but Will Hamill, Ned McHenry, Patrick Parnell and Lachlan Gollant face a wait to see what happens during the trade period. The Crows have Alex Neal-Bullen and potentially Jack Lukosius coming in, and are also keen to retain defender Mark Keane as the Magpies circle. – Peter Ryan

The Giants are still waiting on decisions from in-demand free agents Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming, and uncontracted midfielder James Peatling, before they are definitive about their plans for the trade period. Nick Haynes looks likely to join Carlton, while Peatling, who has jumped up the pecking order with a huge second half of the season, is in demand. Warriors Adam Kennedy, Lachie Keeffe and Callan Ward are used to waiting at this stage of their careers, while Stone is likely to remain at the Giants. Cooper Hamilton and Braydon Preuss have not forced their way into the team. The Giants have not ruled out making a play for Adelaide’s Elliott Himmelberg, but those decisions will be dependent on list spots being available. – Peter Ryan

Dual All-Australian Dan Houston says he will fulfil the remaining four years of his contract despite flirting with a move back to Victoria, but Collingwood has joined Carlton and St Kilda in still being interested. This continues to be a situation to monitor, particularly once the Power’s season ends. GWS unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming have been linked, while Port have tabled a three-year offer to out-of-contract Magpies forward Joe Richards. Veterans Travis Boak and Charlie Dixon headline an out-of-contract group including Francis Evans, Kyle Marshall, Tom McCallum, Trent McKenzie, Quinton Narkle and Tom Scully. – Marc McGowan
No mention of Cumming to us hmmmm.....
Organic growth!

My take is the club isn’t interested in loading the list with more draftees, no matter how strong the draft is. They figure it’s a young list, we’ve got enough young players and they blamed our results on a lack of experience and depth. Nothing to do with coaching.

So they are all in for retaining what experience we have and adding more experienced players. If that means we take pick 4 to the draft and grab Welsh so be it.

There’s no way the club can brush off another poor year in 2025 and they’ll do whatever it takes to move up the ladder. After this draft and trading season the rebuild is over, will it ultimately be successful? Not under Nicks and it with our neglected midfield.

100% correct. Pretty much any draftee we get this year - or next - is impacting 3 years down the track. We don’t have that time to wait.
I suspect we use 4 because there isn’t a trade worthy of it - but wouldn’t surprise if the future first is ontraded

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100% correct. Pretty much any draftee we get this year - or next - is impacting 3 years down the track. We don’t have that time to wait.
I suspect we use 4 because there isn’t a trade worthy of it - but wouldn’t surprise if the future first is ontraded

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think it'll be gone in a Luko deal. I'm not really happy about that, but it gives us more talent in our squad while Dawson/Fog/Hinge/Keays etc are all still going strong

Hoping out for F1 + 13 for Luko + 25

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back