Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This AFL admin is the best knee jerkers l've ever seen...from possibly limiting dvi to 3rd round to possible NGA bids at any point - how the heck does any club meant to plan for unseen draft rule changes!!!
Utterly and beyond useless!!

Next thing will be changing draft rules midway through draft night.

How Essendon could benefit from the rule that gave Jamarra to the Dogs; Cameron’s three-match ban stands​

By Jake Niall and Peter Ryan

Updated July 16, 2024 — 8.01pmfirst published at 3.10pm

The rule that allowed star forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to join the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood to secure now premiership defender Isaac Quaynor is set to be reinstated in a less-lenient form, club CEOs were told on Tuesday at an AFL meeting in Perth.

And the first beneficiary could be Essendon, who have exciting Vic Metro goalkicker Isaac Kako set to graduate from their Next Generation Academy program ahead of this year’s draft.

Kako’s parents were born in Iraq and the youngster who shone in the AFL’s under-18 national championships is bolting up draft boards and is considered a top-20 prospect.

Under the existing rule that was changed after Ugle-Hagan joined the Bulldogs and Quaynor joined Collingwood, clubs did not have priority access to their NGA graduates unless they were available after pick 40.

That rule, which was gradually introduced before the 2021 national draft, meant Melbourne did not have access to talented defender Mac Andrew, despite him graduating from their NGA. Instead, he was available to all clubs, with the Suns nabbing him at pick No.5 in the 2021 national draft. Andrew is one of the game’s most promising young players.

Hawthorn picked St Kilda’s NGA graduate Cam Mackenzie with pick seven in the 2022 national draft, but the Saints secured Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager via their NGA in the 2021 national draft.

St Kilda also picked West Coast NGA graduate Lance Collard with pick 28 in last year’s national draft, while Collingwood nabbed Hawthorn academy graduate Tew Jiath, brother of Changkuoth, with pick 37.

Neither the Eagles nor the Hawks were able to match the respective bids under the NGA rules.
However, a rule change would enable the Bombers to draft Kako at any stage if they rated him the best player at that pick.

A senior club official, who wished to remain anonymous because the rule was not in place, pointed out that, while clubs would get access to their NGA graduate under a rule change, they would have to pay a much higher price at the draft to match an opposition bid for their player than the Bulldogs or Collingwood had to when they secured Ugle-Hagan and Quaynor.

The AFL Commission would need to approve the proposed rule change in August, according to two sources in the Perth meeting who confirmed the plans but preferred to remain anonymous while discussions continued.

The AFL has been concerned with the decline in the number of players of Indigenous heritage being drafted in recent seasons, with clubs saying the rules and the AFL’s development programs were not giving them the incentive to invest in regions and develop players who might end up at other clubs.

The AFL is also keen to have development programs in place for young people with parents born in countries other than Australia who may not otherwise play Australian rules.
The CEOs meeting in Perth is also expected to deal with fixture issues on Wednesday, while funding arrangements and competitive balance have also been topics of discussion.

when was the last time a (say) top 5 pick had a poor national championships?

Smillie under-performed - it doesn't matter how tall he is

Again, im picking player based on how they fit our club and not what a bunch numbers say.

If stats mean anything then jack watts would have been a generational talent.

Hopefully this part means you must use picks in the same round to match any bid.

A senior club official, who wished to remain anonymous because the rule was not in place, pointed out that, while clubs would get access to their NGA graduate under a rule change, they would have to pay a much higher price at the draft to match an opposition bid for their player than the Bulldogs or Collingwood had to when they secured Ugle-Hagan and Quaynor.

1Josh Smillie
2Finn O'Sullivan
3Jagga Smith
4Levi Ashcroft
5Sam Lalor
6Luke Trainor
7Leonardo Lombard
8Sid Draper
9Bo Allan
10Murphy Reid
11Taj Hotton
12Xavier Lindsay
13Christian Moraes
14Samuel Marshall
15Joe Berry
16Jack Whitlock
17Tom Gross
18Matt Whitlock
19Harry Armstrong
20Isaac Kako
21Jobe Shanahan
22Tobie Travaglia
23Harry O'Farrell
24Noah Mraz
25Harvey Langford
26Harrison Oliver
27Alex Dodson
28Alix Tauru
29Cooper Hynes
30Logan Smith

Last edited:
Has there been a kid come out of the NGAs who wasn’t already established in the development pathways?
True.

I get they want clubs to spend more money on underrepresented demographics, but introducing this rule to effect this draft doesn’t help attract diverse populations to AFL, it just benefits Essendon.

Hopefully this part means you must use picks in the same round to match any bid.

So if they have pick 10 they can trade it with the premiers and get pick 18 plus something else.

The divide is only going to get wider

Last thing I had seen was that picks before 20 were going to be assigned greater points value and after 40 no points value (and probably no discount).

I.e.

If there was a Daicos, Collingwood would have had to trade for a BUNCH of second rounders or trade back into the first round / would’ve had to pre-plan for it and not trade their first - meaning they would have had to use pick 2 on Daicos. However what it opens up for is - say Collingwood has Pick 2, they can trade that to another team for a top 10 pick and a F1 for example and still get Daicos. But if Daicos isn’t bid at 2 or before, and they don’t trade back they’d have to acquire more capital.

So in practice this year - Kako gets bid on around Pick 10, Bombers have say pick 13, they’d have to either trade back for not a heap of value or pick Kako straight up (perfect for them BTW). Gold Coast would be perfectly positioned to pick Lombard AND someone else if not 2 more good players at say 8 & 20. Whereas Brisbane may have to sacrifice Marshall depending on where he is bid on.

I think it’s a reasonably fair rule with overall mutual benefit, however, of course a team like us has a much worse zone than everyone else.
If we get NT though, that would be massive, any good NT player is automatically a roo.

Could be wrong in the assessment though and as a caveat, no ITK, just various comments I’ve heard / seen.

And Sanders goes to the dogs who directly benefited from the initial/(now same) rule in 2020 to secure JUH before changing the rule.

They’ve also picked up Sam Darcy, Rhylee West and Croft with F&S discounted picks.

Its a joke

I reckon that we should have got compo for TT as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at this draft pool...might be a great year to have a bunch of second round picks?

GC have such a strong hand 7,8 then 20,27 & 32.
Freo with 10,13,16 & 25 depends on which ex-WA player they are hunting with those 1st rounders.

Makes you wonder if we split pick 2 & 21 + F2 to exchange for 7,20, 27 & 32 from GC?
7 - Langford or Allan
20 - Joe Berry ..if Taj Hotton is strangely still here, where do l sign.
27 - Shanahan or Armstrong.
32 - Matt Whitlock.
39 - Lachie Jacques.
57 - River Stevens.

****ing hell.

I can’t believe that decision.

It effectively means Both WA and SA clubs have matching rights on every aboriginal footballer to come out of the states.

They can Cat B every single undrafted aboriginal draftee also.

West Coats eligible NGA list has about 100 names on it every season.

Last edited:
Looking at this draft pool...might be a great year to have a bunch of second round picks?

Freo with 10,13,16 & 25 depends on which ex-WA player they are hunting with those 1st rounders.

Makes you wonder if we split pick 2 & 21 + F2 to exchange for 7,20, 27 & 32 from GC?
7 - Langford or Allan
32 - Matt Whitlock.
39 - Lachie Jacques.
57 - River Stevens.

Love it

7 - Langford or Allan
32 - Matt Whitlock.
39 - Lachie Jacques.
57 - River Stevens.
I’d want 7 AND 8 for 2 and 21 at a minimum. Still think that’s a bargain for GC

7 - Langford or Allan
32 - Matt Whitlock.
39 - Lachie Jacques.
57 - River Stevens.
No stand out mids, FOS was unlucky to not be able to show his potential. Any one of the top 30 could be the best of this class, there's no daicos/sheezel/wardlaw/JHF but it's not a weak draft, Freo have the whip hand! I don't think anyone's giving up multiple firsts for a top 3 pick. Metro v country game was insane, the highest quality game I've seen at a 18s carnival, kid's standing up everywhere. The best three kids could be taken after ten.

lets just hope FOS is more Wardlaw than Moir
Trust me Fart, Finn's a jet, hope isn't needed on this one. I have read that he might slip to pick 4/5 , well, all I can say to that is LDU all over again! When recruiters have watched these boys in u15s and so on people have to understand that one game like that is nothing, lets consider the facts, he's had two hand injuries and missed a fair chunk of footy, one a little bit more worse than the other, he came into that game underdone and I already had my say about what to expect, but people reacted exactly how I thought they would with some saying he shouldn't have played and so on and so on.

Lastly, just my opinion but Finn in a way is like Sam Walsh, an elite runner both ways, I could say wait till he gets a lot fitter and plays more games but for me that is a non issue, I know how good he is, he doesn't need to prove anything and I'm quite sure a lot of the recruiters would feel the same way just as there would be a couple of recruiters that might slip him down the order but I would be very surprised to say the least.

Trust me Fart, Finn's a jet, hope isn't needed on this one. I have read that he might slip to pick 4/5 , well, all I can say to that is LDU all over again! When recruiters have watched these boys in u15s and so on people have to understand that one game like that is nothing, lets consider the facts, he's had two hand injuries and missed a fair chunk of footy, one a little bit more worse than the other, he came into that game underdone and I already had my say about what to expect, but people reacted exactly how I thought they would with some saying he shouldn't have played and so on and so on.

Lastly, just my opinion but Finn in a way is like Sam Walsh, an elite runner both ways, I could say wait till he gets a lot fitter and plays more games but for me that is a non issue, I know how good he is, he doesn't need to prove anything and I'm quite sure a lot of the recruiters would feel the same way just as there would be a couple of recruiters that might slip him down the order but I would be very surprised to say the least.
Hope you're right and I hope we pick him, smiles I'm not sold on and jagga will be good but he's got some limitations. I've got no idea about FOS's athletic profile and I'm not sure we'll get a good look at it pre draft. I believe his injuries have not been ones for concern. The one caveat I do have is he looked terrible in the 18s final, I'd rather him have not played he was so underdone. I feel like he might slip outside the five and he could be the best of the lot but this is like no other recent draft and the best could be anywhere in the first round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back