Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was looking very dangerous in the Metro v Country game before he got injured. Extremely powerful peg, if I remember correctly he had a shot from 50 odd off a couple of steps that went through post high. Like when an elite golfer hits a drive, you go like ‘that’s different’.

He has plenty of attributes that will transition well to AFL level if he gets the chance. He is so bloody powerful. The reason why he’ll probably go undrafted though is because at this stage he is a low possession player. Personally though, I think that’s because he is being forced to play far taller than he. He is essentially playing as a tall forward in the jets forward line with very limited support.

Sounds like Cooper?

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dattoli a little bit quicker and more potential to accumulate the footy up the ground.

CLARKO. "Depth of midfield is most important need".

Come on down FOS, Jagga, Smile, Draper or Langford.

No doubt we we will be taking a midfielder at 2.

Hopefully it's FOS.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

FOS looks like a very good player but at 182cm IMO we need a bigger body as a POD.

Both Smille or Langford would be our biggest mid at 194 & 190 cm. Jagga and Draper are both small as well.

Lazzaro 180cm
Phillips 181cm
McKercher 182cm
Wardlaw 182cm
Simpkin 183cm
Stephens 184cm
Powell 184cm
Sheezel 185cm
Scott 186cm
LDU 188cm

FOS looks like a very good player but at 182cm IMO we need a bigger body as a POD.

Both Smille or Langford would be our biggest mid at 194 & 190 cm. Jagga and Draper are both small as well.

Lazzaro 180cm
Phillips 181cm
McKercher 182cm
Wardlaw 182cm
Simpkin 183cm
Stephens 184cm
Powell 184cm
Sheezel 185cm
Scott 186cm
LDU 188cm
I don't buy into the height of mids being that important. A 182cm Wardlaw is a far more contested beast than a 194cm Josh Smilie. LDU at 188cm is fine and if we need we can throw Cam in there or Zane when he fills out.

Also, we already have a 202cm big bodied mid in there, big X.

I don't buy into the height of mids being that important. A 182cm Wardlaw is a far more contested beast than a 194cm Josh Smilie. LDU at 188cm is fine and if we need we can throw Cam in there or Zane when he fills out.

Also, we already have a 202cm big bodied mid in there, big X.
Been a long time since a team won a flag without a 188cm plus midfielder.

Alright for me it’s

Smilie vs Langford. Would need to get more info about their strengths and weaknesses.

Or

FOS vs Draper.

So I guess if it’s north, they will select on who is the most talented.

Not fussed about the Richmond vfl playing kid. Seems like we’ve been there done that.

Tigers premiership teams in 2019-20 wouldn't have had a mid over 188cm. Big-bodied mids are way overrated in terms of impact they have over games. Give me speed/agility/spread any day, regardless of height.
McIntosh is 192cm.

Bont, Cripps, Green have huge impacts on games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McIntosh is 192cm.

Bont, Cripps, Green have huge impacts on games.

McIntosh is an outside flaky winger. He isn’t doing much heavy lifting on the inside. All their inside work was done by Prestia and Cotchin who are both on the smaller side of midfielders.

Bont is a freakish outlier. There aren’t going to be many 192+cm midfielders that come along and impact games the way he does.

Cripps and Green no doubt impact games but they have had plenty of support with the midfield depth around them.

Sydney are the best midfield in the comp this year and they don’t have any monster big bodied types, but they cut you apart on the spread and running both ways.

LDU is our big contested ball winner.

Essentially height isn’t our midfield issue. But slow campaigners with shit acceleration and others who are still too young to warrant proper criticism.

I.e Powell, Phillips, Jy compared to Wardlaw and Sheezel

Just draft FOS. First year at half back.

Round 1 2026

B- Arch Griff Corr

HB- Goater W Dawson Fisher

C- Kerch LDU FOS

HF- Zuhaar Comben Dursma

F- Simpkin Larkey Curtis

OB- Xerri Wardlaw Sheezel

Int- Powell Scott Ford Versatile Tall

Draft best KPF left at our second pick

Best small pressure forward at third pick

First rounder 2025 to pick to fill gap or trade for established gun player

Lazzaro 180cm
Phillips 181cm
McKercher 182cm
Wardlaw 182cm
Simpkin 183cm
Stephens 184cm
Powell 184cm
Sheezel 185cm
Scott 186cm
LDU 188cm
I feel like height only makes a difference for that first possession winning the clearance. If that big guy like Cripps or Greene doesn't win it first then they are basically done post-clearance because the quicker mids get after the groundball.
There's a big difference between a Cripps/Greene vs more athletic Will Day, Josh Weddle or Bont.
I'd be leaning towards FOS or Draper as first choice right now but the testing will be interesting.
Sam Lalor is another I like but would like to see his testing. He's only 187cm but he's strong and can go forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back