Votes: 13 4.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 21 7.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, that’s not true. He’s a brilliant decision maker with sound disposal.

He reads the play better than anyone and is so balanced and quick to dispose of the footy by foot and hand that he rarely gets tackled before being able to use the ball productively.

If we decide that improving our transition footy game was the biggest priority, he and Walsh would provide a serious tag team linking up the play.

As others have said, O’Sullivan and Lalor have more clear scope of a second position in the forward line, particularly in their developing years but in terms of a pure mid, who is going to help us exit clearances purposefully and link up chains of possession in transition, you won’t find better than Jagga.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm not sure about that... Jaggas biggest criticism this year other than his size has been his highly inconsistent kicking. Sometimes he's surgical, other times he's a turnover merchant.

I didn’t realise he was that short. I thought he was taller than that, I should have researched first.
Not your fault... you overheard ferrisb say say Draper was a 'big unit'..

Everyone is a big unit to fb..

😂

I'm not sure about that... Jaggas biggest criticism this year other than his size has been his highly inconsistent kicking. Sometimes he's surgical, other times he's a turnover merchant.

In the prelim final against GWV he was perfectly precise with his kicking, hitting virtually every target he could and kicking a brilliant goal. The wind is often pretty tricky at Moorabbin too.

Couldn’t ask for more on that showing.

JHF 21.8 this year

That's not because he can't win the ball but because he's young and still building his tank. Already shown he can get 30+.

Also, he's a gun but not in the absolute top echelon yet. He won't be making an all australian team or winning a brownlow averaging 22 (unless he kicks 30+ and it's as a forward). He'll be averaging 25+ next year anyway.

In the prelim final against GWV he was perfectly precise with his kicking, hitting virtually every target he could and kicking a brilliant goal. The wind is often pretty tricky at Moorabbin too.

Couldn’t ask for more on that showing.

No you couldn't, there's games where he looks like the 2nd coming of Naicos. Unfortunately where Naicos hits those targets every game, Jagga is a bit more hit or miss.

That said I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with his kicking action so it's possible he bridges that gap at the next level once in an AFL system.

The other thing is he lacks penetration but I'm less concerned about that as I think hitting 45s is more damaging than being able to bomb it 60m into the fwd in 50 like the rest of our mids.

24 touches, with a few being turnovers. Hardly setting the world on fire, and people are ranting about this kid.

Low disposal non damaging mid who went backwards this year. Am I the only one seeing this?

Yes, you are...

Red card yourself, go away and think about things, then come back and tell us what you really think...

Who are you on about by the way??!!

No you couldn't, there's games where he looks like the 2nd coming of Naicos. Unfortunately where Naicos hits those targets every game, Jagga is a bit more hit or miss.

That said I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with his kicking action so it's possible he bridges that gap at the next level once in an AFL system.

The other thing is he lacks penetration but I'm less concerned about that as I think hitting 45s is more damaging than being able to bomb it 60m into the fwd in 50 like the rest of our mids.

Yeah, there’s a lot of Naicos about him.

I was more defending the characterisation of him as having “dodgy disposal”. He may have had some bad days but there’s no way someone with dodgy disposal is capable of a performance like that. His technique looks fundamentally sound. He may be inconsistent at this age but most juniors are.

I think he’ll thrive in a professional environment and raise the floor of his worst days.

However, Draper’s kicking skills and decision-making are considered a tad below some of the best midfielders in this crop.

They had Draper ranked at 10, and with his kicking/decision making being the main criticism makes me somewhat concerned if we take him. Would be hoping we'd be looking at more skilled players at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve already traded out F2, and only have 64 this year.
2xF3 isn’t going to get it done.

I guess F1 for F2…
I still see huge values in these deals, a few deals this year and last, where teams give up lots of picks to move up the order.

In our case it’s a way to fatten up our draft hand for next year, I’m never as convinced as others on any particular draftee and think that pick 1 especially is overrated.

I’d happily trade 3 to 4 with Adelaide if it got us up in to the early 20s this year or even the 1st to bd next year.

Or 3 to 6 with the Tigers and I see this as being more realistic and attracting better offers.

That's not because he can't win the ball but because he's young and still building his tank. Already shown he can get 30+.

Also, he's a gun but not in the absolute top echelon yet. He won't be making an all australian team or winning a brownlow averaging 22 (unless he kicks 30+ and it's as a forward). He'll be averaging 25+ next year anyway.
He also spent a lot of time basically playing full forward in the back half. Was almost 50-50 mid vs Forward by the end of the season. Possession numbers definitely hampered by that.

That happened, and on top of all that we also have pick #3 which could easily be elite from day 1, especially with an elite midfield core around them to support and help them thrive.
this bit is key, this isn't throwing a young player in the deepend and asking them to carry the team, they'll slot in as one of many and if theyy end up getting tagged then walsh and cripps will love being off the chain

I remember going through North's thread on Will Phillips, and someone posted his pre-draft highlights and the discussion was "watching this all back, I don't know how we ever saw a top-3 pick here".

By and large, I will trust our recruiting team given that they must see 3-4 players they'd be thrilled with and I will back them in there. But all I am saying is that I can see a future where people watch pre-draft compilations of FOS and say "what on Earth were we thinking?"

Some scribes had him down as a potential standout AFL player (Rendall, had a pretty good eye).

Smith and Draper (and Lalors) highlights are so much better than FOS's.

Not only do they pass the eye test easily, but their numbers are also better and they've done it against men (where FOS struggled to get 12 touches and didnt have an impact at VFL level).

I'm not even sure I'd have FOS at 4.
Kicked two goals (should have had three) and set another couple up from memory....low numbers yes but I wouldn't say low impact...not bad for a first up VFL game

That wasn’t the point though.

You said star low possession/high damage mids still average 25+

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back